Marriage - please make it less "random"

Users who are viewing this thread

I think it should never be random. And we shouldn't see any percentage. And I think we shouldn't even see their traits. We shouldn't even see our own traits. It should be told by other lords to us like "you are an honorable person" in some occasions after a trait of ours becomes known to people.

We should be able to ask people their opinions about lords and get to know about them. TW tried too much to make somethings easy like learning lords's locations on encyclopedia, voting for fiefs etc. that there is no dialogue left. I think votes should be casted in a feast, locations should be able to be learnt through asking lords and traits should be learnt through asking lords. Right now we are able to learn traits of everyone from encyclopedia from the very start of the game where no one knows us. And this makes no sense. It could make a good perk to guess a trait of someone from dialogues with a small chance too. Or their wordings could hint their traits.

We should be able to ask about the woman or man that we want to learn about, make plans to earn their liking (asking if they like beard, learning what kind of personalities do they like, what kind of gifts would they like etc.), speak to her/him about their way of thinking as they ask us, chat about daily stuff etc. System shouldn't reward save scumming and shouldn't force people to do it. It should be labor based. We should grind to marry the lady/lord we're gonna live together until death.

Right now one can marry a lady with three dialogues. Admitting admirance, introducing opinions, persuading marriage.If it could be like introduction, some daily conversation, getting to know, asking his/her friends about him/her, gifting stuff according to personality, admitting admirance after getting some relation, then maybe some poems like warband, meeting with their parents (maybe a dinner), improving relations with parents, speaking about marriage, getting permission from parents, then marrying; it would be way more immersive.

Well put. Could be a thread of it's own.

These are all good ideas, and I really hate that there is only one way to get married. Why can't we arrange a marriage? Use your money to buy into a line? It is really hard to get married in some play throughs because you don't have the charm skill required. We need more options then just an RNG such as these.

• Charming a women with dialog and actions such as poetry or tournament wins
  • Impressing their clan with your actions such as doing missions for them
  • Having a high clan position, maybe they are a smaller clan so their offer their daughter to you in marriage to help themselves
  • Showing your prowess with having profitable caravans and businesses.
I think they need to implement multiple avenues to becoming married and perhaps a check for the clan and individual, such as only if you have 500 renown, or a clan level of 3. This can even expand to you eloping with whoever you want or even perhaps kidnapping them for marriage.

They could have a lot of fun with this and make some very memorable moments by giving us some options to play with.

This is getting long but I also wonder why every culture in the game has the same process for marriage? Why can't I trade a few war horses for my bride?

Marriage is an area I see no reason to have any random checks whatsoever. To use an example from another game, Fallout: NV overcame the burdens of RNG checks through using thresholds for persuasion – either your character had 50 speech or they didn't. Bannerlord has the luxury of having a lot of factors to call upon here. Relation with the clan, the player character's traits, the player character's charm, and the potential spouse's traits. Instead of a preposterous 89% chance if you have three out of four traits congruent with an answer, why not something like the following? In the specific example seen in the OP, the player requires at least two out of the following to progress to the next stage:
  • Choosing an appropriate response congruent with the spouse's traits
    • For example, a merciful spouse would appreciate "the good outweighs the evil" over "cruelty is fascinating"
  • Over a certain charm stat threshold
  • Over a certain relation threshold
  • An overlap/congruency with the spouse's traits.
    • For example, if the spouse is Calculating, Merciful, and Honorable, then they will match with a player that is Merciful.

This makes a lot of sense. I could deal with having to win the RNG check if I am trying to persuade without any bonuses like relationship. But the game should give you a gimme for extremely well aligned traits or relationship beyond a certain threshold. RNG is just so annoying because you can't really target a specific person. It ends up being more like you marry whomever you can pass the RNG checks with.

I will tell you I still feel the % numbers are not correct. And for anyone that says it's RNG, TW already patched the game once because the number were not correct. Doing complicated math, I had a 21% chance to get Arwa once, and I did a save and reload to see how many times it would take, and it took me 22 tries to get it done. that is around 5%. Now I will say this, when your charm gets really high it is much easier to do especially when you get the double crit chance increase perk. But it makes sense when you think at tier 1 or 2 you aren't that well known for her to want you that bad but as your progress and get that charm it gets much easier. i think the system is good, I personally would like to see a "little" increase the the %'s I don't think we should need to spend 1/2 to a full year running around looking for a wife. Just should be a little bit easier. Warband was simple but took a bit of time, Bannerlord can be quicker but is really hard to get a success, just merge the two closer together, find better compromise between the two

I will tell you I still feel the % numbers are not correct. And for anyone that says it's RNG, TW already patched the game once because the number were not correct. Doing complicated math, I had a 21% chance to get Arwa once, and I did a save and reload to see how many times it would take, and it took me 22 tries to get it done. that is around 5%. Now I will say this, when your charm gets really high it is much easier to do especially when you get the double crit chance increase perk. But it makes sense when you think at tier 1 or 2 you aren't that well known for her to want you that bad but as your progress and get that charm it gets much easier. i think the system is good, I personally would like to see a "little" increase the the %'s I don't think we should need to spend 1/2 to a full year running around looking for a wife. Just should be a little bit easier. Warband was simple but took a bit of time, Bannerlord can be quicker but is really hard to get a success, just merge the two closer together, find better compromise between the two
Its interesting, i think they included showing the percent chance so our options would be more informative. Realistically i need to know whats impacting that percentage chance so I know what i need to improve as the player. Like the only way to tell if your chances have gone up over time is by paying very close attention to how it progresses instead of it informing you, which makes it hard to tell you are progressing. If they want to keep the percentages I think we need more detail provided when hovering over the percent chance so we have some idea whats going into it. Also it would be nice to see my RNG roll for discussions so it is clear to me my RNG rolled me losing. Its just so hard to tell why high percent chances to succeed fail so much.

I dont think its just RNG. I hit on multiple occasions a 14% critical fail. 20 times in a row. When I let a day pass the result changes. Its still RNG in a way but you can manipulate it with more then just save scum.
(and I know Einstein said its insane to repeat a process and expect a diffrent outcome)

I will tell you I still feel the % numbers are not correct. And for anyone that says it's RNG, TW already patched the game once because the number were not correct. Doing complicated math, I had a 21% chance to get Arwa once, and I did a save and reload to see how many times it would take, and it took me 22 tries to get it done. that is around 5%.
I dont think its just RNG. I hit on multiple occasions a 14% critical fail. 20 times in a row. When I let a day pass the result changes. Its still RNG in a way but you can manipulate it with more then just save scum.
The game has a seed so if you savescum the same rolls without changing anything, you will get the same results.

(and I know Einstein said its insane to repeat a process and expect a diffrent outcome)
I can confirm this, but this isn´t "fun" in any way.

Is there a single player here who doesn´t save scum the marriage if it fails?

I can confirm this, but this isn´t "fun" in any way.

Is there a single player here who doesn´t save scum the marriage if it fails?
I mean I don't, but only because it is tedious because as @Apocal said there is a seed so you have to let time pass, which means boringly persue your prospective bride until time passes so that you might get a different result. I mean it's still no good. I usually just end up not getting one or taking the first one that will give me the time of day.

I don't savescum. I have a list of acceptable candidates. If I get rejected by one, I move on to the next. It's not like I want to be married to the same person every time.

There needs to be some element that's beyond the player's control. Sometimes they just don't like you that way and they happen to be the type that marries for love. Just move on. There's plenty of fish in the sea.

I have never had a successful conversation of any kind in this game. I tried two quests that have two part success trees in 1.4.3 and I only succeeded in one out of four chances both times. I have charm in spades but I am completely without any attributes. I have never actually attempted marriage in Bannerlord as I have no success in any dialog.

Look, your face is handsome, but not as much as mine, therefore you're incorrect.

Traits and ratings are a good thing to have access to. Otherwise, why have relationship ratings by the same logic? It's just so you don't have to remember each of your friends' names, that'd just get very tedious really quick.

That being said, I agree that the marriage process could use some more complexity, I just don't think that's the right way to go about it.

I don't think the game should force you to remember traits, but it does make sense to make you discover them through dialogue (and then have them appear in the encyclopedia). One of the reasons NPCs feel so souless right now is that you don't really need to talk to them to get information.

So you also save scum when it doesn´t make sense :wink: .

I mean, if I fail normally, I don't savescum. It ultimately isn't that big of a deal; there are multiple eligible bachelorettes in every faction and even if you exhaust all of them, there really aren't the same requirements as Warband to get married so if all the Khuzait girls decide they like me better as a friend, I go through the Aserai ones instead.

Back
Top Bottom