SP - General Marriage and Family Systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

I think one thing TaleWorlds can do to improve the game that will not take a huge amount of time and effort is to work on the marriage system. Getting married and the benefits after were a huge part of warband and a great part of the roleplay. It made you feel like your character had a connection to other npcs. The current system is mildly infuriating. You have to go through 6 (I think) persuasion checks which are just rng that you have 0 control over. If you fail just one check then you failed at getting a spouse. I find my self failing at 80% or higher chances quite frequently. This is even more infuriating if you have Ironman mode enabled.

One of the things I loved most about Warband was building relationships with other npcs through feasts, tournaments, and quests. Currently Bannerlord gives very little reason to get attached to any npc or any real benefit in building relationships with them with the exception of recruiting them to your kingdom. I sincerely hope TaleWorlds will add more RP elements to the game soon.

Before they tackle this, they should really revamp the whole relationship system in my opinion. There should be individual outlook and family outlook that affects different aspects of the relationships.

I recently started a new campaign on 1.6.5 (death & births enabled)... There been some fierce fighting all over the place, and many clans now left with just 1 adult, some with one adult and a bunch of children/babie. At this rate some of the kingdoms will implode on themselves.

The game need more fresh blood for characters to get married too. Not just the members of other clans. Towns/Villages could be a extended source for this. Also if you turn one of your companions into a noble in your clan. I guess they got next to no chance to grow their clan. I yet to give a companion a fife to see what happens. But I assume I end up with a clan with 1 party.

Also Rebel clan's that emerge need to be spawned with a extended family, so they can be used for marriage purpose as well imho...

Marry companions to members of your clan.... (or each other when in your party),.. could also be a thing I guess.

I recently started a new campaign on 1.6.5 (death & births enabled)... There been some fierce fighting all over the place, and many clans now left with just 1 adult, some with one adult and a bunch of children/babie. At this rate some of the kingdoms will implode on themselves.

The game need more fresh blood for characters to get married too. Not just the members of other clans. Towns/Villages could be a extended source for this. Also if you turn one of your companions into a noble in your clan. I guess they got next to no chance to grow their clan. I yet to give a companion a fife to see what happens. But I assume I end up with a clan with 1 party.

Also Rebel clan's that emerge need to be spawned with a extended family, so they can be used for marriage purpose as well imho...

Marry companions to members of your clan.... (or each other when in your party),.. could also be a thing I guess.
Marry companions - This feature would only useful for the player clan.
They should simply add a "Spawn a Spouse" button.
It's the easiest solution to fix the issue.

Marry companions - This feature would only useful for the player clan.
They should simply add a "Spawn a Spouse" button.
It's the easiest solution to fix the issue.

That could also hinder you from marry someone too though. If they get spouses to auto spawn. Unless it happens after a certain character age.
I ran into this problem quite fast when was trying to get the younger brother married, and it was quite "slim pickings" out there. Now my clan got kids from both my character, the older and younger brother. (like 7 of them), and when they reach of age, I don't think there is anyone left out there :p

I think TW should also change the way in which the culture of children is determined. From what I have heard, right now a newborn always inherits the culture from its mother. However, it should be that children inherit the culture of the parent whose original clan they are part of. So if a child is part of its father's original clan, it should inherit the culture from its father. If the child is part of its mother's original clan, then it should inherit the culture from its mother.

To give an example, currently if a Vlandian lord marries a (non-clan leader) Battanian lady, then the lady joins the clan of her husband, thereby also becoming part of the Kingdom of Vlandia - but their children will still be Battanian. This doesn't really make sense and can cause loyalty problems in their (likely to be Vlandian) fiefs once one of their kids becomes the clan leader and thus the clan's culture changes from Vlandia to Battania. In general, this could also lead to the result that after 1-2 generations suddenly half of a kingdom's clans have a different culture.

I think TW should also change the way in which the culture of children is determined. From what I have heard, right now a newborn always inherits the culture from its mother. However, it should be that children inherit the culture of the parent whose original clan they are part of. So if a child is part of its father's original clan, it should inherit the culture from its father. If the child is part of its mother's original clan, then it should inherit the culture from its mother.

To give an example, currently if a Vlandian lord marries a (non-clan leader) Battanian lady, then the lady joins the clan of her husband, thereby also becoming part of the Kingdom of Vlandia - but their children will still be Battanian. This doesn't really make sense and can cause loyalty problems in their (likely to be Vlandian) fiefs once one of their kids becomes the clan leader and thus the clan's culture changes from Vlandia to Battania. In general, this could also lead to the result that after 1-2 generations suddenly half of a kingdom's clans have a different culture.
This is a bug and will be fixed. They are working on it.
Before this bug; childs have inherited the culture form the parent of their gender. Boys inherit the culture of their father and Girls form their mother.

Before this bug; childs have inherited the culture form the parent of their gender. Boys inherit the culture of their father and Girls form their mother.

They need to change how Children obtain traits too. Tie it to the events you pick for them when they grow up and the skills they got. Someone isn't necessary born cruel, because one of the parents is..

That would also not be ideal, since this still leads to the problem that the culture of clans might flip after some generations. Additionally, if you want your children to be of the same culture as your character, you are still forced to marry a character with your culture.

In fact, you could argue the intended system (child inheriting culture form same gender parent) is even worse than the current bugged one (child always inherits culture from mother), because with the bugged system you at least have certainty about which culture your children will have.

Although, another solution might be that the player can just decide what culture the children of the player's clan will have - basically choosing in what language the children will be educated in. This would also give you the option to change the culture of your clan (although delayed). For the AI the best solution would probably be my original suggestion - child inherits culture from the parent whose original clan they are part of.

Last edited:
That would also not be ideal, since this still leads to the problem that the culture of clans might flip after some generations. Additionally, if you want your children to be of the same culture as your character, you are still forced to marry a character with your culture.

In fact, you could argue the intended system (child inheriting culture form same gender parent) is even worse than the current bugged one (child always inherits culture from mother), because with the bugged system you at least have certainty about which culture your children will have.

Although, another solution might be that the player can just decide what culture the children of the player's clan will have - basically choosing in what language the children will be educated in. This would also give you the option to change the culture of your clan (although delayed). For the AI the best solution would probably be my original suggestion - child inherits culture from the parent whose original clan they are part of.
No, the intended system has worked fine before the bug.
And the naming system works with the intended system. Boys get a name from their father's culture and Girls a name from ther mother's culture.

And some AI-Clans start with no young heroes who are married, if they marry a hero from another culture, the clan will get the wrong governor penalty and if the faction enact "Debasement of the Currency" the clan gets an rebellion, because the AI can not handle a -2 Loyalty penalty.

No, the intended system has worked fine before the bug.
And the naming system works with the intended system. Boys get a name from their father's culture and Girls a name from ther mother's culture.

And some AI-Clans start with no young heroes who are married, if they marry a hero from another culture, the clan will get the wrong governor penalty and if the faction enact "Debasement of the Currency" the clan gets an rebellion, because the AI can not handle a -2 Loyalty penalty.
About your second point, I think this is an oversight that should be fixed/changed (e.g. clans only appoint governors of their culture/right culture).

But my main argument as to why I don't like the intended system (nor the bugged one) still stands. Currently cross-culture marriages happen frequently. In the intended system as well as the bugged one, children from cross-culture marriages are much more likely to inherit the culture from their "foreign" parent . When these children become clan leader, the culture of the clan would change - resulting in a -3 wrong owner culture penalty in the original fiefs of the clan, most likely leading to rebellion. Kingdom would then lose fiefs of their culture just because one clan's culture flipped thanks to an suboptimal marriage.

In most AI marriages the wife joins the clan of her husband and thus also the kingdom of her husband. Assuming that the husband has the culture of his kingdom, children inherit culture like this:
Current bugged system: children always get culture from their mother --> child's culture always different from kingdom culture.
Intended system: Boys get culture from father, girls from mother --> daughters will have different culture than kingdom.
My suggested system: Since child is part of the father's original clan, they always get culture from father --> child's culture always same as kingdom.

In the rare scenario that the husband joins the clan of his wife and her kingdom (afaik only when female clan-leader marries male non-clan leader) and assuming that the wife has the culture of her kingdom:
Current bugged system: children always get culture from their mother --> child's culture always same as kingdom
Intended system: Boys get culture from father, girls from mother --> sons will have different culture than kingdom.
My suggested system: Since child is part of the mother's original clan, they always get culture from mother--> child's culture always same as kingdom.

To conclude, in my suggested system the culture of a clan would remain fixed. Thus, the wrong owner culture penalty would only occur in conquered settlements or when an foreign clan is granted a native fief. It also prevents half of an Kingom's clan of changing culture after one generation. In my opinon it also more sensible that a clans culture would remain consistent and not flip flop through the generations.
Of course, this means that you could not change the culture of an clan. I think this would be fine for AI clans, but not for the player's clan - which is why I would also suggest that the player can decide which culture children of his clan will have (by deciding in which language a child is educated in), so that it is possible for the player to switch culture. If necessary, you could also implement a smiliar feature to change an AI clan's culture (e.g. convince/force an vassal clain to educate their children in the kingdom's culture).

PS: Sorry for the lengthy post.

Imho. Once you create your kingdom and pick the culture you go with. You should only get a penalty if you take over cities and castles of another culture, regardless if you assign a gov that is of another culture in your clan. Your kingdoms culture should be the over arching one. And we really need a option to convert castles/towns to your own culture over time. Maybe by just assign a gov from your clan.. idk.

You know what would be fun for "making a family?" Go full on Mongol and ride into X, snatch the lords daughter you want and ride off into the sunset while throat singing. That would be a fun and historically accurate marriage method, including the tribal wars that follow.

You know what would be fun for "making a family?" Go full on Mongol and ride into X, snatch the lords daughter you want and ride off into the sunset while throat singing. That would be a fun and historically accurate marriage method, including the tribal wars that follow.
Crusader Kings 2/3 seems like a game for you :p

Back
Top Bottom