• My hype level still the same as before

• I'm getting less hyped about the game lately

• I'm worried about the current state of the game

• I'm losing hope, BL is straying too far away from WB

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

How do you know that?
tenor.gif

Well, participating in the beta since June last year, testing patch by patch, actively giving feedback (like many others); the overall opinion I have built is that IMO the game doesn't work as it should at this point.

tenor.gif

Well, participating in the beta since June last year, testing patch by patch, actively giving feedback (like many others); the overall opinion I have built is that IMO the game doesn't work as it should at this point.
You cant really determine how the SP will function though, from a beta test of the MP, they might be working in completely different ways, we dont know.

You cant really determine how the SP will function though, from a beta test of the MP, they might be working in completely different ways, we dont know.

Indeed. I suspect the build we'll be getting on early access has been developing completely separate of the beta build (else there'd be little reason to include multiplayer in early access, they'd just keep using the beta for it).

Okay, let's have a look here...

Issues that definitely, without a doubt, need fixing:
Hitting downed players
Horse audio is too quiet
Blocking thrusts with side blocks
Imprecise shield hitboxes
Poor body parts hitboxes

Issues that could very well be a matter of multiplayer latency:
Delay on release of attacks
Variable attack delay
Accelerated attacks

Issues that could be a matter of attempted multiplayer fairness balance that requires tweaks:
Defender stun & initiative
Very fast stun recovery
Shields durability is too high
Character height and hitbox size (but definitely needs fixing if not)
Switching weapons before and while getting hit

Issues that I've heard are being looked into:
Chamber blocking is non-functional
Cavalry movement and crushthrough

Issues that I take issue with:
Everything wrong with kicking: The complaint is twofold: One, that the foot doesn't come down faster when hitting an opponent. I'm not certain this is even the intended effect. Perhaps it is. My big issue is with the second complaint, however: The stun being too short to attack with short weapons. I feel this is the way it should be. The advantage of short weapons is their attack speed. If you can kick and attack with a short weapon, the enemy has pretty much no defense against you except offense. If they try to go toe-to-toe with you, your faster weapon will beat theirs the majority of the time. I feel that being unable to follow up on kicks with short weapon attacks is perfectly reasonable.

Stance affecting combo speed: The slight speed increases look natural to my eye when paired with the respective animations. Maybe it's not supposed to be this way, but it looks right to my eye.

Movement speed depending on stance: Likewise, this looks right to me. If you're swinging with your movement, you have no reason to slow down. If you're swinging across your body, however you need to twist your body, which means you'd consciously slow your lateral movement. It's the same as a quarterback throwing cross-body as opposed to throwing in the direction of their scramble when running. You don't need to slow overmuch if you're throwing in the direction you're running but you practically need to stop if you want to twist the other way and throw to the opposite side of the field.

Shields durability is too high: In addition to perhaps merely being a multiplayer balance facet that we won't see in singleplayer, I personally prefer it if shields are a little tougher. Realistically, a sword is not going to destroy a shield in 10-15 hits. Axes do much better work, and as it should be, it seems they make fairly quick work of shields ingame at the moment. Just take a look at how this simple shield made out of friggin' plywood holds up to various weapons, standing stationary to be hit.

Height variable: As a multiplayer concern, I can completely understand this being a problem. Solution: Take the height slider out of multiplayer. As a general mechanic, however, height should absolutely have a tangible effect on combat, as it would in real life.

Imprecise cavalry swings: This one's tough. On the one hand, I see what's being said, but on the other, if many of those one-handed windups were placed where the video suggests they should be placed, they'd look incredibly unnatural. Joint tolerances have to be accounted for, but at the same time, surely you don't expect a cavalryman to swing his sword directly into his own leg.

Knocking players down as cavalry is too easy: Really, though? Stand in front of a horse running at the speeds shown in this video. Even horses without armor adding to their mass. See if you can keep standing as they run square into you. There are a couple of instances in here where I wouldn't mind seeing a stagger instead, but the horse keeps moving, and you're not going to stop it. Unless you sidestep, you're going down.

Attacking over your mount's head: That's on the player posting the issue. When you release an attack a split-second after shifting a loaded animation from the left to the right of your mount, no, I don't want your character doing a back-wrenching 45 degree twist in 0.25 seconds and releasing a perfectly aimed thrust. Be careful where you're pointing your spear, same as an actual lancer would have to be.

Downed horsemen, blocking and pivoting: To answer the poster's question, it's different because of momentum. If your horse suddenly gives way to the side, inertia doesn't give you an opportunity to raise a shield in a meaningful defense. If, on the other hand, your body weight is forward and your horse goes down in full stride, you being flung forward has no negative effect on your ability to raise your shield in front of you.

Camera position shift on knockdown: It gives knockdowns some added weight. Like your character, your view of the world has suddenly shifted in a somewhat disorienting way, and you need to quickly reacquire whatever you were looking at when you get up. I see no problem with this mechanic.

Partially drawn bow not incurring a speed penalty: Would raising a bow quarter-drawn negatively affect an archer's speed in real life? I don't see how it would. Therefore, it shouldn't have one in Bannerlord. The poster says "there's no reason to not use this mechanic", and that's how it should be. A mobile archer of reasonable skill should always be ready to fire another arrow. It does, however, have the slight downside of taking a split second longer to switch to a melee weapon, should one feel the need. Seems fitting to me.

Switching weapons before and while getting hit: Short of dropping the weapon you were holding and now having no weapon in hand, I don't see how else to handle this. It doesn't seem you should be rewarded for deciding to switch weapons at an inopportune moment in the heat of combat. If you tried to do what the video demonstrates in real life, you'd probably have your arm broken, which would at the very least mean you wouldn't be drawing that sword and shield.

Height does not affect reach: I don't have a huge problem with this simply because, at the differences shown, it's perfectly reasonable for two individuals to have the same reach. Height isn't a uniform calculation. Many people have an arm length beyond the norm, or vice versa. It's not at all impossible to find someone with four extra inches of leg length with no extra arm length. But height should, realistically, have an affect as this is the norm. Good news, though!

QlmFXfg.jpg

Tapping W on horseback: Heavens, our man Noudelle gets infuriated easily. (I appreciate his obsessive bugtesting work, though, doing it like a beta tester should!) Personally, I don't find this a problem. One shouldn't be able to walk his horse in close combat. Horses are living creatures with a sense of self-preservation, and they're highly unlikely to walk slowly this way or that when the noise of battle floods their ears and shiny sharp objects are swinging in their vicinity.

Automatic attack direction switching: I get his point, but I don't mind this one bit. I think it should be a toggle, though.

Insufficient evidence for judgment:
Leg hitboxes when mounted
Lack of animation for aiming up and down

-----

There's my personal classification of all the issues brought up in that thread. Are they all definitely correct classifications? No, not by a long shot. But they're a good measure of my level of concern for each. As to your original statement though, you stated that they "should be working and totally grounded". Given that the campaign has been developing alongside combat, I disagree with that assessment, first off. But beyond that, there's very little here I find to be "not working"; merely some things that could use refinement. When one hears "not working", they think for example that there's a problem with your character not readying arrows after firing, or attack animations not firing.

I don't know, you talked to me first...

I wasn't talking "to" you, necessarily, I was addressing the points you (first) made. The sequence went thusly:

1. You made a comment about the game being in an unforgivably incomplete state.
2. I asked for examples.
3. You provided examples.
4. I then assessed said examples and gave my own thoughts on them.

2-3 was the only period where we directly interacted, until you decided you wanted to make the new guy look like a green punk who doesn't understand how discourse works.

I wasn't talking "to" you, necessarily, I was addressing the points you (first) made. The sequence went thusly:

1. You made a comment about the game being in an unforgivably incomplete state.
2. I asked for examples.
3. You provided examples.
4. I then assessed said examples and gave my own thoughts on them.

2-3 was the only period where we directly interacted, until you decided you wanted to make the new guy look like a green punk who doesn't understand how discourse works.

You asked me for examples directly,
Exempli gratia? Er, for example?
I gave them to you; you gave me your opinion and now you are entering a loop to which I will respectfully refuse the invitation.

I'm very excited! This is one of 3 titles that I am really looking forward to this year - the other two being The Last of Us II and Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm not all that worried about Bannerlord. Even though I'm not too happy with some of TW's design choices... *cough* banners *cough* I still think when all is said and done the game is going to be great...

With or without the necessity of mods.

Can we all just agree that we ARE going to buy the game and even if its defectous on some part we understand this is an early build and we shouldnt be worrying that much? Honestly I cant think of any of those problems to make me think on not playing this game

Back
Top Bottom