[Maps] A Meagre Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Яowan

Grandmaster Knight
Just a quick thread with some basic information concerning some of my old maps, downloads and all of that. Oh, and some of the various versions of VoS used on RCC and then Nexus. Not all of them yet though, because I'm lazy (such as Marshlands and Andros) and/or haven't decided if I want to release them atm.

Basic rules concerning the maps:

• You can use them on your servers, if you want to. This is not likely to change, ever.
  • No editing or creating new versions without asking me. A simple post with proposed changes is fine, and the download can be put up alongside other versions if accepted. Will probably say yes to most changes, but drastic overhauls will always certainly be a no-go.
  • Bowman's 'Version' of VoS is managed by him, I and the other editors no longer contribute to that version, only he. If he has any special requirements or whatever concerning it, you'll need to speak to him about it first. As far as I know, anyone can use it. This may be an old version, not entirely sure.
  • Some of the maps might be broken. Some of them will be, actually. If you want to port them, let me know below and I'll give you the go ahead. Andros is being updated by me currently, so no worries about that.

Andros

A large city inspired by the city on Valley of swamps, Andros is a unique map with large mountains through the middle, a secluded village with a fortified manor house for roleplay and large plains dominated by a cavalry orientated faction. A small starter village and bandit camp can also be found outside of the main city in a strategic location.

Nordenbergen:

A large, mountainous map with a focus on navy. Number of changes such as an abbey and extra passes through the mountains are present in this version, as well as a wall around the main town. If I find the original version before these changes were made, I'll upload 'em.

Valley of Swamps:

Originally created Calenloki, with contributions by a number of members in the community including Artifex/Alastair, Splintert, FunkyDarion and myself. You can find the original thread here. Later versions for versions 4.x have many more contributors, possible too many to mention bar some major contributors (Saboteur100 and Bowman, specifically).

RCC Version aka Bowman's Version (Was the last contributor and made some large changes to the map in this version, including overhauling of Brackaltwald and the Village, among other changes (I honestly can't remember them all at the moment)). This was among the last versions used on RCC, back in 4.3/4.

RCC / Nexus Version, an older version of the map used on the RCC server and initially used on Nexus. Includes a number of changes by Av3nger, specifically armoury overhauls. This version has had a lot of changes between the version worked on by Bowman, but is missing a number of changes used in later versions.

Nexus VoS (Town Watch Overhaul Version OR No TW Overhaul) the version used on Nexus until the end. This version has an overhauled Hellstone, to improve defense. It also has some optimizations, which have sacrificed some quality in return. Oh, and a terrible version of Brack. A number of changes were also made due to community requests, some I didn't really agree with.

Furthermore, the TW overhaul moves the TW into the docks and gives them extensive facilities. The non-TW overhaul is the version everyone knows and remembers.

There are various other versions of VoS, such as the version/s made by Peasant and/or GwaeBloom (which, as far as I know, has some sort of hell gate and all that). If you're looking for that, you'll need to contact him or find someone who is in contact with him. These versions posted here are ones I've worked on and used.

Far from detailed, thrown together awfully quickly with little effort. Will possibly get round to editing this post and adding screenshots some time in the future. If anyone has any older versions of VoS (RCC or Nexus), feel free to post them here. They can get thrown into the list wherever.

Why not needed?

People have actually used their own time to create these maps and the least you could do is ask for permissions to use these maps and/or edit them.

An example of a map project gone sour because a map maker got all mad cause he didn't want the community to have nice things.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=328553.0

Notice the forum admin that came in. This is a forum rule, like it or not. You can technically edit maps and host them without permission, but posting or talking about them on the forum requires the map makers approval, cause of forum rules.

chunky_monkeh said:
I mean, it is nice to ask for permission to use or edit maps but not needed at all.

Then dont grudge when people copy your ruleset/website/server and making money with it.
Because you know... its nice to ask for it, but not needed at all.

:facepalm:

Salva said:
chunky_monkeh said:
I mean, it is nice to ask for permission to use or edit maps but not needed at all.

Then dont grudge when people copy your ruleset/website/server and making money with it.
Because you know... its nice to ask for it, but not needed at all.

:facepalm:

That however is a different thing isn't it? People consider maps to be "owned" by TaleWorlds, and able to freely use maps as long as credit is given.

Copying rulesets or entire servers or websites can be illegal however if it includes copyrighted material eg. copying whole websites designs.

It's hard not to copy a website's design when you all use the same damn forum software and the default layouts  :lol:

Maps are owned by Taleworlds, and if you just start using any map you want without permissions from the author (if they want you to ask permission) you'll probably run out of maps pretty soon.

chunky_monkeh said:

Just how it is. Like it or don't use the maps at all. Pretty simple, really. I know you've used some of my maps without permission (along with others), but that is fine. It is partially why I created this thread, because I don't care who uses them.

But editing them is a no-no, because people get confused as to who has created which maps and thus permissions quickly get muddied. Bug reports also get confusing for myself and users, because people end up reporting bugs present in version xya that are also present in d2a, so they get fixed in d2a but not xya, and then xya bugs are reported on map ox2 which never had the bugs to begin with, which leaves people scratching their heads because they don't realize that there are different versions of the map with different names.

VoS is a prime example of the above, where various edits of the RCC version have been claimed by different people. This means confusion over included features, present bugs and all of that. Some cases, like with Bowman, this is fine. Others not so much. I'd rather not this happen unless I give the go-ahead. Understandably VoS is somewhat unusual, because the base 'unported' branch I linked (CalenLoki's original thread) is a free-for-all for editing, whilst the various ports are 'owned' by the mapper who ported them (this has been discussed with CalenLoki in the past, and he was fine with it).

Mind you, I forgot to mention. You can, however, add in any props you need for scripts. For example, banking props. But that is about it, because I understand that is necessary for most servers these days.

Back
Top Bottom