SP Tutorial World Map Mapping (with Thorgrim's Map Editor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, actually I just started my editor and for some reason it doesn't work anymore for me. So I am gonna reinstall and hope it helps. I might have been wrong btw. with the yellow border. It's been a while but after posting my above post I seemed to remember that I was able to move the red border only. In the end I don't remember exactly anymore, so sorry for the confusion that might have happened. But if you say that you automatically move the yellow border as well if you move the red one it seems I remember right and you can't change the distance between them.

I hope to know more later on.

EDIT: Got it all working again. The above movement of the two borders is correct, so I guess all you can do is to enlarge the map itself. That can be done with the face edit mode afaik. Click the faces and hold shift and then move them outside the map while holding ctrl to clone them like shown in the small help notes in the upper right corner..

How do you select and move the red and yellow borders? It was never clear in either of your guys posts...

Edit:Figured it out, you have to be in the selection mode (The castle icon) then zoom out a bit and left click and drag on one of the sides of the red border and move the mouse, the borders will start to move.

Edit 2: The borders didn't take effect when loading a new SP game.... Any reason why?

Did u make sure u saved it?
It is simpler if you get the coordinates by holding z and then put them into the module (config file) file

Tsubodai said:
Did u make sure u saved it?
It is simpler if you get the coordinates by holding z and then put them into the module (config file) file

I figured it out, I noticed the module.ini was modified at the same time as the maps and parties.txt so I opened it up and saw the boundaries at the top of the ini. I copied them over and sure enough it works fine.

Many thanks for the tutorial, was a great help in surviving the M&B map editor  :smile:

Now I have a question, the original map featured some kind of "far away land" with a low density of the nodes grid, I managed to get my map open in blender (as TME keeps crashing :razz:), but is there any other way than manually deleting all those nodes  to make unreachable land less demanding?

-EDIT-
Also, I noticed that the map palet only covers 9 types of climate, while in the editor itself there are 13 types, what colors can I use for the 4 missing ones?

The size of the border can be configured in the tme config file. It's done when on map import. Don't know if this is of help for you if you work with blender.

I think the entry you would be looking for is simply border = 10 or so...

Hi, great tutorial! only i'm stuck on the Map editing tool. I'll put screenshots up when i'm home but i'm getting error's of Texture not found etc etc, I'm placing it in the main Warband folder, isn't this the right place or u guys can help me out with this?

Thanks

Gokiller

Computica said:
Ak2k said:
grea tutorial dude, but how can i move the citys, castles and villages?
Moving the parties "map icons" is pretty Wonky on Thorgim's Map Editor. I suggest you use the Bloodpass Map editor in order to do that.
'

Another thing I do is just do it in the module files. It takes a lot longer, having to record all the coordinates, but it also gives you a better looking map, as you think more about the placement of the cities.

I have a question, having made like a million maps in Thorgrims by now, and having played Native Warband about 4 hours, I never noticed that there was actually a terrain vertex for desert forest. Now, as Thorgrims doesn't work with Warband, there's no way to add the desert forests in the editor, but is there a way to do it in the .txt file?

Yes, I advise you to use a materiel your not using on your map like "deep ocean". Then replace the deep ocean material number with the desert or desert forest material number. It will show white in Thorgim's though. It'll still work in-game though. I suggest you use something like the newer editors that have been released.

Well yeah, that's not so much the problem, the problem is that I don't know what part of the map.txt that shows the terrain number.

edit:

Ah, nevermind, figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom