Map movement speed

Users who are viewing this thread

In module_scripts there is script_game_get_party_speed_multiplier which is commented out.  Uncomment it, and change it how you see fit.  To slow everyone down, simple lower the return number from the default 100.  Or you can implement some sort of routine that checks for certain conditions to adjust the speed of only some parties.

hmm, that is very interesting, thx.  I didn't realize there were a few scripts like that which were commented out but could be called by the game engine... 

Similar question, does anybody know of a way not to make speed slow down at night?  This appears to be hard-coded, but maybe I'm wrong...

Use the same function I mentioned before, but check if it's night time.  If it is night, increase the speed by enough to offset the normal game night time decrease.  Double I think?  (ie, 200) Can't remember exactly.

Jinnai said:
Use the same function I mentioned before, but check if it's night time.  If it is night, increase the speed by enough to offset the normal game night time decrease.  Double I think?  (ie, 200) Can't remember exactly.

oh, good point, that concept was so obvious I completely missed it.  thx.  I'll try out this code later:
Code:
  ("game_get_party_speed_multiplier",
   [
     (store_script_param, ":party_no", 1),
     (try_begin),
        (is_currently_night),
	(set_trigger_result, 200),
      (else_try),
	(set_trigger_result, 100),
     (try_end),
    ]),

On a similar note, since my mod uses spaceships as map icons and a starfield as the world map, I want to remove any other penalties at night.  One of them is spotting I believe, but the only piece of code that seems to be related to that is this in module_scripts...  I'll try switching this to a 2 later today,  but I'm not sure this is the correct place, so if anybody else has another suggestion then let me know.

# script_process_alarms
  # Input: none
  # Output: none
  #called from triggers
  ("process_alarms",
    [(try_for_range, ":center_no", centers_begin, centers_end),
      (party_set_slot, ":center_no", slot_center_last_spotted_enemy, -1),
    (try_end),
    (assign, ":spotting_range", 2),
    (try_begin),
      (is_currently_night),
      (assign, ":spotting_range", 1),
    (try_end),
    (try_begin),

I'm totally trying this out.

Edit:  Uh-oh.  Whenever I try this, I get this problem.

Initializing...
Compiling all global variables...
Exporting strings...
Exporting skills...
Exporting tracks...
Exporting animations...
Exporting meshes...
Exporting sounds...
Exporting skins...
Exporting map icons...
Creating new tag_uses.txt file...
Creating new quick_strings.txt file...
Exporting faction data...
Exporting item data...
Exporting scene data...
Exporting troops data
Exporting particle data...
Exporting scene props...
Exporting tableau materials data...
Exporting presentations...
Exporting party_template data...
Exporting parties
Exporting quest data...
Exporting scripts...
WARNING: Local variable never used: party_no
Exporting mission_template data...
Exporting game menus data...
exporting simple triggers...
exporting triggers...
exporting dialogs...
Checking global variable usages...

Script processing has ended.
Press any key to exit. . .

?

That's fine.  Either ignore the warning, or comment out the line (store_script_param, ":party_no", 1), since you never use the :party_no variable.

Hey guys,

I'm using this script to tweak map speeds based on certain unit types (I hate uncatchable bandit parties!!)

Anyway I've gotten it all to work but I want to expand the model a bit. Does anyone know exactly how map speed is determined?

For instance, I know that troop numbers affect speed, but is there a function that governs it? Or are there simply too many variables to say anything concrete about that?

The idea of big armies travelling slower in a medieval mod is fine, but in space the speed would be determined by the type of startship, not the amount of troops it carries. Same with cargo, so I'd like to negate these speed decreases at least somewhat accurately. Next step could be to limit party size not just by leadership but also by ship size, but for now I'd like to get this working.

Thanks!

MartinF said:
Hey guys,

I'm using this script to tweak map speeds based on certain unit types (I hate uncatchable bandit parties!!)

Anyway I've gotten it all to work but I want to expand the model a bit. Does anyone know exactly how map speed is determined?

For instance, I know that troop numbers affect speed, but is there a function that governs it? Or are there simply too many variables to say anything concrete about that?

The idea of big armies travelling slower in a medieval mod is fine, but in space the speed would be determined by the type of startship, not the amount of troops it carries. Same with cargo, so I'd like to negate these speed decreases at least somewhat accurately. Next step could be to limit party size not just by leadership but also by ship size, but for now I'd like to get this working.

Thanks!

I've seen other people naegate the Leadership thing, but I think they do it by maxing it out.  You can then set your own slot to hold the max number of people per ship.  The problem is finding all the places you need to check when moving people in and out of parties.

yeah I'm thinking it will be easier to just have the starships give item bonuses, like +x leadership for the troop carriers and +x inventory management for the cargo ships, however I'd still like to get the speed thing sorted. Guess I'll just have to test and record.. *sigh* :smile:

This is the closest topic related to my goal I could find, however I am seeking info for Warband. Looking actually to increase my party map speed. I know and use all the regular tips (additional horses, increase relevant skills, all mounted troops.) Yet I still have a super hard time catching up to small groups of enemies (mostly 1 lord trying to escape or trying to siege a castle.)

So my question is basically this:

Is there anyway for me to (via editing/modding) increase my party's speed and ONLY my party's speed on the world map in Warband?

I appreciate any replies, since I know this thread is quite old, but I'm honestly out of ideas.

No.

If you're having problems catching lords, you either need to upgrade you and your companions pathfinding, or drop some of the heavy items in your inventory.

Or you can just use the "instant movement" cheat.

Yeah, unfortunately the cheat cancels out achievements. I was hoping to find something that would allow maybe to increase the bonus given by pathfinding (instead of 3% to 8%-10%.) Oh well... Thanks for the fast reply anyway.  :sad:

Morrigan86 said:
Yeah, unfortunately the cheat cancels out achievements. I was hoping to find something that would allow maybe to increase the bonus given by pathfinding (instead of 3% to 8%-10%.) Oh well... Thanks for the fast reply anyway.  :sad:

You'd be surprised. There's a hardcoded script, commented out by default, which does exactly that:
Code:
##  #script_game_get_party_speed_multiplier
##  # This script is called from the game engine when a skill's modifiers are needed
##  # INPUT: arg1 = party_no
##  # OUTPUT: trigger_result = multiplier (scaled by 100, meaning that giving 100 as the trigger result does not change the party speed)
##  ("game_get_party_speed_multiplier",
##   [
##     (store_script_param, ":party_no", 1),
##     (set_trigger_result, 100),
##    ]),

There's no need of enabling cheats, tidy and nice. This is called every time a party has to move.

Do a conditional checking for the main party and any other global variables you want to affect the
result and set the return value in % as shown in the example.

EDIT: Nevermind, Hokie posted the very same thing in 2009 here, I learned this from working on SWC. The irony is strong in this one.

Swyter said:
Morrigan86 said:

You'd be surprised. There's a hardcoded script, commented out by default, which does exactly that:
Code:
##  #script_game_get_party_speed_multiplier
##  # This script is called from the game engine when a skill's modifiers are needed
##  # INPUT: arg1 = party_no
##  # OUTPUT: trigger_result = multiplier (scaled by 100, meaning that giving 100 as the trigger result does not change the party speed)
##  ("game_get_party_speed_multiplier",
##   [
##     (store_script_param, ":party_no", 1),
##     (set_trigger_result, 100),
##    ]),

There's no need of enabling cheats, tidy and nice. This is called every time a party has to move.

Do a conditional checking for the main party and any other global variables you want to affect the
result and set the return value in % as shown in the example.

EDIT: Nevermind, Hokie posted the very same thing in 2009 here, I learned this from working on SWC. The irony is strong in this one.

Perfect! At least I know what to look for. Thank you, a million cookies for you!

Hello ,
I know the subject is old, but that's exactly what I'm looking for, except that I didn't understand exactly what to do

I speak to increase the bonus given by pathfinding

Thank you

Hello ,
I know the subject is old, but that's exactly what I'm looking for, except that I didn't understand exactly what to do

I speak to increase the bonus given by pathfinding

Thank you
In that case you would need to reactivate the commented out script script_game_get_party_speed_multiplier (mentioned twice above) and work in checks for every party and apply a penalty or speed bonus depending on the pathfinding skill. The pathfinding skill itself is hardcoded iirc, so there is no easy way to increase the bonus given there.

Back
Top Bottom