Map looks washed out and bland

Users who are viewing this thread

Notice how the pre-release map had deeper shades of green and not just one, incredibly ugly and washed out shade of green for the whole map. The forests of battania looked every different to the plains of Vlandia, but now pretty much the whole map is dominated by that one shade of green. Please fix this.

Agreed. I think it's only a matter of switching textures though. If they can "identify" this, it shouldn't be too hard to "fix" this. Someone who spent more time on the campaign map can let me know if I'm wrong. My knowledge and experiments on the campaign map are quite limited.

At least it's better than this pre-pre-release ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
YoH4W4V.jpg

Screens have one nice feature: you can take them to Photoshop, draw few sliders and everything will suddenly have nice deeper shades.

Are you sure your nice shades were ever in the game?

Agreed. I think it's only a matter of switching textures though. If they can "identify" this, it shouldn't be too hard to "fix" this. Someone who spent more time on the campaign map can let me know if I'm wrong. My knowledge and experiments on the campaign map are quite limited.

At least it's better than this pre-pre-release ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
YoH4W4V.jpg
Apart from the textures, which could do with a bit more % saturation; there are some editor settings that if edited could lead to more vivid colours... fog (colour, scatter/falloff, etc), sun (intensity, shaft, shadow oppacity...etc), global envmap colour factor, global ambient colour, colourgrade texture...etc among others.

Edit: A little test with the editor; of course I'm not saying that "this must be so"... far from it; but rather that beautification is possible if you want it to be, and even more so if carried out by more skilled hands than humble mine.
_ZjpJ.jpg

Last edited:
Apart from the textures, which could do with a bit more % saturation; there are some editor settings that if edited could lead to more vivid colours... fog (colour, scatter/falloff, etc), sun (intensity, shaft, shadow oppacity...etc), global envmap colour factor, global ambient colour, colourgrade texture...etc among others.

Edit: A little test with the editor; of course I'm not saying that "this must be so"... far from it; but rather that beautification is possible if you want it to be, and even more so if carried out by more skilled hands than humble mine.
_ZjpJ.jpg
Sometimes I wish you wouldn't show me what could be....... it looks so much better :ohdear:
giphy.gif

Yeah I really dislike how arid everywhere looks, that lime green is weird. Looks like a field during a heatwave or a drought.

Notice how the pre-release map had deeper shades of green and not just one, incredibly ugly and washed out shade of green for the whole map.
Yeah as Terco has shown, along with the color palette, the fog effect might also add to the washed out feel.
Check his thread on that - Fog bleach effect
Other than that, unfortunately i don`t think we will be getting many changes to better distinguish local biomes on the main map. Hopefully i`m wrong.

_ZjpJ.jpg
@Dejan Can we have this or something like this? Please?

I still think changing some textures to a more vibrant grass/satellite grass look would also make it near perfect with this editor settings. ( imo fog somewhat helps their performance since now with your setting more objects are visible - still visible army count is exactly same though since it's based on your "seeing" range in game )

It's their obsession with everything being uniform, always consistent appearance to the point of dullness.

Mostly everything has to be laid out in easily recognisable colour palettes, from banners to troop armours to biomes on the map because they're making this game for idiotsconsoleplayers apparently.

@Dejan Can we have this or something like this? Please?

I still think changing some textures to a more vibrant grass/satellite grass look would also make it near perfect with this editor settings. ( imo fog somewhat helps their performance since now with your setting more objects are visible - still visible army count is exactly same though since it's based on your "seeing" range in game )

I think fog in mission scenes is fabulous; however on the campaign map its application and overuse (%) does nothing more than bleach/pollute the beautiful terrain through a very crude atmospheric perspective imho. That said, there are modders who are experimenting with clouds as mist, an option within the editor that currently hasn't been officially implemented (idk if ever do).

by Kingofthenorth

In short, as you say... increase the saturation of terrain textures, lower the density of fog in the close-ups of the camera and slight colour tweaks both in the atmosphere and in the application of slightly warmer colourgrades (depending on the seasons ofc / don't touch the sunsets they are beautiful as they are right now).

Again, the world map is very nice and the devs have done a great job...but applying these final touches together with a beautification of the map itself (beautifying settlements, details, etc...) would be the perfect icing on the cake.

Sin_titulo-1.jpg

Beautification quick example

I agree. It's almost unbearable, really.

I've sort of solved it with a reshade and heavily edited it, but it would be nice if they did something about it.

If this theory is correct, it makes me big sad ?
It's made most obvious by the recent downgrade to the Ui with the stupid action wheel nobody asked for, but of course from a business stand point they want to tap into the console market and it's no secret console players normally care far less about the small details and more about the game being accessible and pick up & playable.

It's why I call the game Bannerlord Royale, they want to sell the game to the fornite generation and that means we can't have the deeper Crusader kings type campaign simulation we wanted, it has to be a fast paced constant war constant action lifeless game.

+1. Btw, these are not looking that bad imo:
blog12_west.jpg
map.jpg
Mount-Blade-II-Bannerlord-Gamescom-Impressions-03-A-Look-at-the-World.jpg
Also the passage of time/season effects are more detailed in old version if I'm not wrong (frozen lakes/rivers etc)
Exactly, the same way the handmade arrangement of the cities (clones of the scenes) look great imo in the current world map, the villages had much more detail in previous versions (peasant reaper animations and other details). If we take the Calradia Expanded mod as an example, I think it would be a very good example of how to beautyify this sort of things.

Back
Top Bottom