Map looks washed out and bland

Users who are viewing this thread

It is good to see some people touch on that. I have my concerns about this topic too.
Look at these pre-relsease devblog screenshots of campaign map.

During sunrise and sunset might not be perfect but during day different areas had different tones of green and they looked actually realistically pretty.

edit: I don't know why I can't see imgur image.

Last edited:
It is good to see some people touch on that. I have my concerns about this topic too.

During sunrise and sunset might not be perfect but during day different areas had different tones of green and they looked actually realistically pretty.

I've said it before, I love the lighting of the sunrises and sunsets, they are very well done. Between those two periods as I have already said... I would tweak a bit.

In my opinion, the Bannerlord world map has enough potential to surpass the beauty of the campaign map of Anno 1800 and the battle scenes of total war troy (even though I think the game is rubbish, the battle maps are spectacular) imho.

+1. Btw, these are not looking that bad imo:
blog12_west.jpg
map.jpg
Mount-Blade-II-Bannerlord-Gamescom-Impressions-03-A-Look-at-the-World.jpg
Also the passage of time/season effects are more detailed in old version if I'm not wrong (frozen lakes/rivers etc)
There have been definite improvements but so many elements of this old map make it feel more 'real'. There seems to be much more variety. That conifer forest looks so good, ground looks earthy and varied, even the water seems to look more realistic. I wonder why they decided to brighten and homogenise everything.

I've said it before, I love the lighting of the sunrises and sunsets, they are very well done. Between those two periods as I have already said... I would tweak a bit.

In my opinion, the Bannerlord world map has enough potential to surpass the beauty of the campaign map of Anno 1800 and the battle scenes of total war troy (even though I think the game is rubbish, the battle maps are spectacular) imho.
I saw your topic and your tweaks good promising. I agree with you on this one. But as some people said it in this topic, forests and biomes are not so distinguishable from each other and seasons do not change anything at all. These thing probably need more than some tweaks.

I saw your topic and your tweaks good promising. I agree with you on this one. But as some people said it in this topic, forests and biomes are not so distinguishable from each other and seasons do not change anything at all. These thing probably need more than some tweaks.
Of course, I mean... all of that would be part of the commented process of beautification that I hope™ Taleworlds will bring to fruition as soon™ as possible :iamamoron: ?.

Of course, I mean... all of that would be part of the commented process of beautification that I hope™ Taleworlds will bring to fruition as soon™ as possible :iamamoron: ?.
Yes. Btw, I saw your edits to campaign map from 2020 in a topic and it looks really well thought. Good job, indeed. Are you planning to create "something" using mod tools?

Another question arises here, why can't TW care about it as much as community do? Is it only a matter of priorities or do they really not care?

Yes. Btw, I saw your edits to campaign map from 2020 in a topic and it looks really well thought. Good job, indeed. Are you planning to create "something" using mod tools?

Another question arises here, why can't TW care about it as much as community do? Is it only a matter of priorities or do they really not care?
Thanks... just feedbacking like some others. I've thought about it, but to make the explanation short... I'm going to wait a bit longer to see eventually™ if the game " delivers real results" in the not too distant future™. However there are true modders who are working hard (maps, atmospheres, scenes...etc...) behind the scenes and I'm sure this kind of stuff will have a presence in the end by their hands.

In general they care, the problem is the internal organisation and its eternal struggle with risk vs. reward.

edit: I don't know why I can't see imgur image.

Holy Harvesting Season those screenshots are incredible! The fact that we went from that to what we have now is just sad.

^ I can't fathom what the reason would have been for changing that. That lighting and everything else makes me want to dive into the screen. Perhaps it was to improve performance?

I think fog in mission scenes is fabulous; however on the campaign map its application and overuse (%) does nothing more than bleach/pollute the beautiful terrain through a very crude atmospheric perspective imho. That said, there are modders who are experimenting with clouds as mist, an option within the editor that currently hasn't been officially implemented (idk if ever do).

by Kingofthenorth

In short, as you say... increase the saturation of terrain textures, lower the density of fog in the close-ups of the camera and slight colour tweaks both in the atmosphere and in the application of slightly warmer colourgrades (depending on the seasons ofc / don't touch the sunsets they are beautiful as they are right now).

Again, the world map is very nice and the devs have done a great job...but applying these final touches together with a beautification of the map itself (beautifying settlements, details, etc...) would be the perfect icing on the cake.

Sin_titulo-1.jpg

Beautification quick example

I find it amazing what modders can do in so little time. Some aspects already look much better than the native world map.
Here is an higher res video of the map

Why is there a significant drop in quality in some aspects compared to what was presented years ago?
map.jpg

The quality of the terrain map in Bannerlord looks too much uniform and washed, trees have seen an improvement in the last patches but still look bad, RIVERS and RIVERBANKS LOOK HORRENDOUS (lets just compare them with anno 1800)...
3fKkAef.jpg
v5O0Exm.jpg

03-1920x1200.png
cmxDweI.jpg

Last edited:
I find it amazing what modders can do in so little time. Some aspects already look much better than the native world map.
Don't want to be rude or anything but Trial of The Seven Kingdoms' map looks extremely simple and Warband-ish. Overall features on that map can't be compared to what we have in Bannerlord right now. It's too flat with lot's of handmade ugly looking mountains. It's a mod and I'm 100% sure they will improve the quality of the map in the future but currently giving that as a nice map example is not proving any point.

Bannerlord's map is beautiful right now with its terrain features. Some aspects of the map is still bugged, like ground is all green but trees are snowed etc but these can be fixed super easily with a stroke of brush.
EARgd.jpg
mrXnA.jpg
Mz3qp.jpg

However, overall color palette can be improved more like what Terco showed and texture saturation should be changed.
I think main problem is the grassy texture that they use and map FX filter. In 2016's photo, you are seeing that atmosphere is way darker than what we have now - which I'm all up for - but textures are still good in terms of colour/saturation.

Adding moving fog/clouds or flying flock of birds on some forests as small details would also make the map look great.

Why is there a significant drop in quality in some aspects compared to what was presented years ago?
map.jpg

The quality of the terrain map in Bannerlord looks too much uniform and washed, trees have seen an improvement in the last patches but still look bad, RIVERS and RIVERBANKS LOOK HORRENDOUS (lets just compare them with anno 1800)...
3fKkAef.jpg
v5O0Exm.jpg

03-1920x1200.png
cmxDweI.jpg

I honestly believe that Taleworlds devs have the necessary engine and enough skills to transform/tune Bannerlord's campaign map into one that results in a much more superior one in a aesthetical and visual way than Anno 1800/2205 and this from me who loves the Anno's maps... another thing is that they have the will to make it happen.

Edit: Agree with Bloc's opinion.

I'm %100 sure that someone used this screenshot few years ago (5 or more) and made suggestion examples in screenshot (by using photoshop I guess).Like adding the water mill in villages which close to rivers or adding lights emitting from houses in settlements/villages during night ect. but I couldn't find the screenshot anywhere.
blog12_west.jpg

I'm %100 sure that someone used this screenshot few years ago (5 or more) and made suggestion examples in screenshot (by using photoshop I guess).Like adding the water mill in villages which close to rivers or adding lights emitting from houses in settlements/villages during night ect. but I couldn't find the screenshot anywhere.
blog12_west.jpg
They were from my (our) beloved Yaga, here the thumbnail of the recovered image in question, sadly the original one had to be deleted from the server it was uploaded to.
images

This was the original thread.

Don't want to be rude or anything but Trial of The Seven Kingdoms' map looks extremely simple and Warband-ish. Overall features on that map can't be compared to what we have in Bannerlord right now. It's too flat with lot's of handmade ugly looking mountains. It's a mod and I'm 100% sure they will improve the quality of the map in the future but currently giving that as a nice map example is not proving any point.
This is what I said
Of course the bannerlord map looks way better overall, I just wanted to point out that this is in early developement and modders managed to do SOME things better than the native map. This isn't to **** on bannerlord devs, I know that they are capable of doing much better...
I honestly believe that Taleworlds devs have the necessary engine and enough skills to transform/tune Bannerlord's campaign map into one that results in a much more superior one in a aesthetical and visual way than Anno 1800/2205
They just need to put more resources into this part of the game.

sQibh.jpg
Our beloved Yaga, where are you in this troubled times of Calradia?
4e4be.jpg
This is the original image of TW shown.
Silly me, I searched for the images directly with the search engine of the new forum, which showed the corrupted images. Luckily the old forum has all the images intact.

Note that back then Yaga was already showing us the process of beautification I was talking about previously.

2xyCL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom