Map Editing Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been trying to edit a scene in BoE with the map editor, I have three questions:
1. Is it possible to delete trees from a battle scene, e.g. random plains?
2. If not, is it possible to have a flat starting map with no trees? "Water" has no land to work with...
3. If not, is it possible to make a scene in native and port it to BoE? Followup: Will it lose quality or available objects (I don't care if I can't place plate armor, I do care if I can't place certain castle keeps etc.)

Thanks in advance guys.

1. Try to edit over one of the existing maps, and you can't delete the random 'spawning' flora without editing the terrain code.
Use this to edit it, and insert the code in scenes.txt, find the corresponding map name in it.
2. I am not sure what 'Water' is, but you can elevate it to be land?
3. I don't think that's a particularly good idea because I remember Sebastian doing some changes to the Native sceneprops, their IDs and names as well if I remember correctly.

Sherlock Holmes said:
1. Try to edit over one of the existing maps, and you can't delete the random 'spawning' flora without editing the terrain code.
Use this to edit it, and insert the code in scenes.txt, find the corresponding map name in it.
2. I am not sure what 'Water' is, but you can elevate it to be land?
3. I don't think that's a particularly good idea because I remember Sebastian doing some changes to the Native sceneprops, their IDs and names as well if I remember correctly.
Thank you for your help!
1. Thanks
2. "Water" is a blank map. There's literally nothing, I tried to raise the terrain so I'd have a blank slate but nope.
3. Okay, gotcha.

Sherlock Holmes said:
Where is scenes.txt? I've checked modules/BOE/SceneObj and my documents/etc.

Nevermind. It's in modules/sceneobj

Johann Brahms said:
Sherlock Holmes said:

outer_terrain_plain
scn_scene_10 scene_10 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x000000013005870080082a0a000041ef00005ae800003c55

IS the bolded part the part I replace?

Johann Brahms said:
Johann Brahms said:
Sherlock Holmes said:

outer_terrain_plain
scn_scene_10 scene_10 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x000000013005870080082a0a000041ef00005ae800003c55

IS the bolded part the part I replace?
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=167060.0
Used this guide
tl;dr answered my own question

Final issue, I hope:
I have 5 back ups of my map because I knew this would happen, as soon as I saved and exited and reloaded it all the terrain rose up.

http://imgur.com/cypkGQL
http://imgur.com/RoTebp0
http://imgur.com/I7SpOv4
This is before the terrain got all screwed up. Not sure how to prevent the terrain from rising by extreme heights in certain parts of the map for no apparent reason. I really don't think I can answer my own question this time :/

Please try to edit your posts and not quadrapost okay?  :razz:

Right, if you exit the map and save it and upon reloading it gets all randomized it might be that your terrain code hasn't been replaced in scenes.txt properly.
Are you sure you edited the right scene entry in scenes.txt? Also it would help that after making your new scenes.txt, you go and delete the old(BoE or Native) map(.sco), so it generates a fresh one based on the terrain code.

Sherlock Holmes said:
Please try to edit your posts and not quadrapost okay?  :razz:
Sorry about that :O
Sherlock Holmes said:
Right, if you exit the map and save it and upon reloading it gets all randomized it might be that your terrain code hasn't been replaced in scenes.txt properly. Are you sure you edited the right scene entry in scenes.txt? Also it would help that after making your new scenes.txt, you go and delete the old(BoE or Native) map(.sco), so it generates a fresh one based on the terrain code.
I actually did delete the BoE "random plains" map so it would regenerate.

What do you mean by new scenes.txt?

I edited the scenes file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\MountBlade Warband\Modules\Battle of Europe

Was I supposed to edit the one here?
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\MountBlade Warband\Modules\SceneObj

Bear in mind I'm editing maps for BoE.

P.S. thanks so much for your help, I am almost certain I never would have found that terrain generator without it.

Edit the one in just Modules/BoE.

The 'New scenes.txt' refers to the one you just edited.
Again, please don't use 'Random plains' because that's what it is, random.
Paste the new terrain code under 'Ruins' or something and work over it.

Okay Sherlock, so like you said to do, I changed the code of
outer_terrain_plain
scn_training_ground_horse_track_2 training_ground_horse_track_2 256 none none 0 0 120 120 -100 0x0000000130000000000fffff000041ef00005ae800003c55
With my terrain code. I deleted all the props and made my map (seen before the terrain got rekt here):
http://imgur.com/eiKpdnJ
After I backed up the SCO file, and the Scenes file in modules/BoE, saved and quit I loaded it up: http://imgur.com/Cm8JfSI

I then replaced the scenes file and SCO file with the backup, yet it still came up with the same result (3/4ths of the terrain being gone).

Why do I have this issue and is there a fix for it? Note: I do have a backup of the SCO before the terrain got set to 0.

Could you just for testing purposes, try doing that on 'Ruins'?
Just level the ground, delete all Ruins props and add in a dozen of your own. Save and come back in to see if it remains so.

Sherlock Holmes said:
Could you just for testing purposes, try doing that on 'Ruins'?
Just level the ground, delete all Ruins props and add in a dozen of your own. Save and come back in to see if it remains so.
Yeah, no problem, but the props aren't the issue, the terrain is. I'll do both.

So here's the deal:
-If you take a default map, don't do anything to its terrain file, and delete all the stuff, you're fine. The terrain won't get reset, the props won't get reset. I can confirm from multiple tests.
-If you take the scene file of a map like ruins, or any MP map, and make it a much larger plains map by expanding its map size in the terrain file, all the props stay where they are, but the terrain gets reset.
-Only the terrain encased in the original borders of the map is not reset. So, if you make the map twice as big as it used to be (meaning the original map is 1/4th of the square) the 3/4ths not a part of the original map get reset as far as terrain and texture goes.

I have no idea why this happens, how to prevent it, or how to fix it (permanently). Send help ;_;

http://imgur.com/brReHL3 Before save loaded
http://imgur.com/P4vQMzr After save, quit, and reload

Ah yes, my bad here I missed this at the start. I assumed you won't be changing the x and y size of the terrain, it does have wonky results if the original map was smaller. It should work if you do it over Agincourt, as that scene is the largest of all, 5 poly size and 1024x1024. It shouldn't mess up your terrain then.

Sherlock Holmes said:
Ah yes, my bad here I missed this at the start. I assumed you won't be changing the x and y size of the terrain, it does have wonky results if the original map was smaller. It should work if you do it over Agincourt, as that scene is the largest of all, 5 poly size and 1024x1024. It shouldn't mess up your terrain then.
Good idea. So these maps that I've already made... was that just wasted time? I did spend several hours on them so I'm hoping I can either export the props to a flat Agincourt or fix the terrain issue?

Is there a way to copy and paste the list and relative locations of my props to a new map? I'm really hoping I didn't spend all that time mapping for naught  :cry:

Back
Top Bottom