[Map] Borderlands PW4.3

Users who are viewing this thread

[quote author=Flans the Noobslayer, Veteran Guardsman of House Tremelay]
what the **** you made me not kill anyone for...84 minutes now!
[/quote]Map works fine :mrgreen: (aside from the few already known bugs that are worked on anyway)

The map is now open for the community. Please consider:

This map is not to be edited without Guards,Von_Bluchers & my consent. Only the version linked here is open to the public. All newer versions is to be requested personally of Guard,Von_Blucher & me.

Download Link:

Not public at the moment.

Code:
scn_scene_12 scene_12 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000003b0000500000fffff00007adf0000632900004b02
 sea_outer_terrain_2

Please, include somewhere in the first post (or in the thread title) version of PW mod that the scene is compatible with. It really helps me updating KDB
Thanks in advance.

CalenLoki said:
Please, include somewhere in the first post (or in the thread title) version of PW mod that the scene is compatible with. It really helps me updating KDB
Thanks in advance.

Oh sure. The map is compatible with the newest pw version 4.1.

Update 25.05.2013

Hi folks,

The Map Borderlands got a big rework. I will list down the biggest modifications.

1. An new Castle: Hellstone Outpost

31897,mb36I979Q.jpg

31898,mb37ACJO7.jpg

2. The map got cut down about 1/5 of its size. Also the FPS rate got improved very much, due deleting many "rp" environment. 

31899,mb449B5MF.jpg

3. The City Whiteforge is now captureable. The city got cut 1/3. Whiteforge Guards got deleted.

31901,mb41HI8NC.jpg

4. Second Capture Points added.

31902,mb437OEIP.jpg

31903,mb40SGWZT.jpg

5. Outlaws and Mines are now in Caves. (Interior)
31907,mb38XBKTC.jpg

6. Personal Houses added. 10 Small value; 5 Mid Value; 1 High Value , 3 Bandit Hideout.

31908,mb42TM1C1.jpg

7. And many more like fixes/adjustments and fps improvement.

Overview. The Mapsized decreased from 930 to 840Kb.
31900,mb452RZX8.jpg

I like the map but in retrospect I think we made some mistakes.

1. Castles are too far away from the center.
- It is actually a pain to get to the castles and we didn't use well the reason why they were supposed to be far, which is to create a "maze" of roads so that bandits can hide in them, ambush, etc.
- When I played this version, castles where mostly abandoned and everyone was in the abbey. Which leads to my next point.

2. The abbey sucks up a lot of the serfing and gives excessive protection.
- It is like the militarized glunmar; the abbey is excessively popular, making it hard for bandits to approach it, sucking up lots of players from the factions, etc.

3. The city is mostly empty.
- The problem with cities is that they need a purpose, but its hard to give them one.

I think that there is room for a map "Borderlands style" but highly reworked.

Something like:

* Only two castles:

- Each with a small town in front of them. The town should have shops, bank, tavern and other interesting places spread all through it so that people actually have a reason to go to different places. In addition, this provides ground for RP while actually having a reason to exist.

- The towns could have a non capturable TW-like fortified house with a chest where the taxes from all the items from the town go. This gives a reason to the owners of the castle to keep an eye on the town.

- The usual trick with exports linked to castle chests. However, if crafting is to be enabled, then resources stockpiles in castles need to be limited to 100 (Borderlands v1 style).

- Castles should be a lot smaller and more functional. Right now castles seem to appeal more to the looks and are mostly not disegned with military strategy in mind.

* Resources still located in the center, but no independent commoner towns nor middle peaceful faction.

- Otherwise, those factions suck up all the life of the map.

- The middle should be more partitioned, maybe according to the type of resource. Otherwise its too easy to protect them. Something like a forest area for wood, a mountain side for iron, etc. Those being separated not so much by distance but by mountains, etc..

* Maze of roads:

- I couldn't stress this enough. The problem with robbing and bandits in general is that when the factions come, it is pretty simple to find the bandits. Truth is that bandits would hide in forests, take different roads, have secret hiding spots, etc. This is lacking in all maps.

- Hence, I suggest that there should be several roads to get from one place to another. Along the roads, caves, ambush spots (but functional ones!), secret ways up the mountain, etc.

* Elliminate the rivers dividing territories:

- However, keep some banners at the multiple entrances to faction territories.

* Outlaws land:

- I suggest giving the outlaws a faction land of a size comparable to the territories of the other factions.

- Again, multiple entrances to this land should be marked. Since outlaws don't have banners, skulls and stuff like that.

- Outlaws land should be KoS for anyone who is not an outlaw! This way, factions going there to recuperate stolen goods, etc. good have a really hard time. I think it can be very nice and keep under control the dangers of KoS.

* Teleporting spots:

- I have this idea of creating props simulating caravans or river boats or ships. Those are teleports. People can hop on them to simulate some form of organized travelling across the map. Of course, one has to be careful with making them too central, but I think that there is room for balance. And to be honest, I am quite excited about it.

- I want to talk with S0mebody and Mark about it, it would be really sweet if those spots could charge a fee (potentially going to factions).

As you can see, I have been thinking quite a lot. But with the "mapping team" disbanded (Guard, Salva, Blucher, myself) I am having a hard time finding mappers to discuss those ideas :sad:

Splintert said:
If you really want to fix the FPS problems, start cutting out purely aethestic details like cups, candles, and similar.

Yeah that's one of the things I have done.
Erk said:
1. Castles are too far away from the center.
- It is actually a pain to get to the castles and we didn't use well the reason why they were supposed to be far, which is to create a "maze" of roads so that bandits can hide in them, ambush, etc.
- When I played this version, castles where mostly abandoned and everyone was in the abbey. Which leads to my next point.

2. The abbey sucks up a lot of the serfing and gives excessive protection.
- It is like the militarized glunmar; the abbey is excessively popular, making it hard for bandits to approach it, sucking up lots of players from the factions, etc.

3. The city is mostly empty.
- The problem with cities is that they need a purpose, but its hard to give them one.

I think that there is room for a map "Borderlands style" but highly reworked.

I made some radical changes and a quite bigger rework. I hope the problems which you mentioned(which are all true) are solved or at least minimized now.

But overall erk, I will be honest. This current version has nearly nothing in common with Borderlands 1 and I highly doubt, that I will start reworking it again.
This rework now, was more a, giving it a last chance with optimizing it as much I can. But I rather start over a completely new map than rework the one and the same all the time.

But if you got so many Ideas then we can chat a bit about ideas and concepts. :smile:

I understand what you mean by " rather start over a completely new map than rework the one and the same all the time."

We may discuss indeed. The problem is the time difference, but maybe some day over the weekend.

Borderlands is now open Source.

Download Link:

Original Version
http://www.mediafire.com/?tlzjtcbo8h2ut88

Most recent version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/225u900nftci3yi/scn_scene_12%284%29.sco

Code:
scn_scene_12 scene_12 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000003b0000500000fffff00007adf0000632900004b02
 sea_outer_terrain_2

Lannistark said:
Really like the map - except for some minor fps issues I've noticed, good job with this.

Thanks, I am glad that you enjoy the map.

Von Blucher said:
Would love to play this with the city and maybe even abbey as capturable.

Actually this a very interesting idea. This way factions would have a purpose to declare war and to hold this area -> economic prosperity.

Map Update 01.09.13

This is mostly a bug-fix update, which should erase the last problems.

Link

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7eqh5uyxe3y9uvw/scn_scene_12%285%29.sco​

Code:
 sea_outer_terrain_2

Back
Top Bottom