[Map] Borderlands PW4.3

Users who are viewing this thread

Salva

Sergeant Knight

Borderlands

26267,280220132159430MAA5.jpg

The Map

The map resembles a large valley with mountains at the edges, rivers dividing, and an ocean to the south. It is separated into three distinct territory's, each with their respective castles to protect them. Additionally, In the centre, there is an abbey and to the south a commoner city. These five things form the main focal points of the map. There is also a mercenary camp and outlaw base on the western side and a large mine to the north. While the western territory has some key advantages in its closeness to the hub of action, the north & east provide a more remote and open place to settle.

While a large map, there is a focus of activity, items and pros to the south – west – middle. Other areas are either remote/secondary or consist of and water. It is also very open with the distances between focal points fairly direct and on flat distinct roads.

Overview
26190,firstpic4NRLX.jpg

Whiteforge

This is the neutral city and has two neutral factions that make up the Whiteforge Guild. These are The Whiteforge guards and The Whiteforge Merchants. The guards will for fill a role similar to the town watch while the merchants with focus on trade and commerce. The city itself is made up of a keep, town watch HQ, an arena, a dockyard and various shops. These shops and facilities are under control of the merchants and/or guards. The armoury here is better than anything available at the castles, outlaw camp or abbey. In order to get hold of these items you will need purchase through the various shops. Please note, there are still plentiful and high quality items at other parts of them map. Only the very best are reserved for the city armoury.

Whiteforge
26192,whiteforgeKIPSI.jpg
26194,shopFW8NP.jpg

26195,shop1RPQ5E.jpg

26196,shop2OZDM8.jpg

26197,shop31DU13.jpg

The Abbey

The abbey is located at the centre of the map and is represented by a neutral faction. Within the abbey walls is some training but it is mostly an RP area. Outside is the village area where both the abbey monks, and neutral commoners, work and earn money. There is also an inn, a shop and a large dockyard. This dock is mainly used to export goods by sea and contains a boat ramp for loading/unloading horse carts. The abbey is similar to other maps with neutral villages but does possess crossbow and lord training. This is to defend against outlaw raids which are intended to be represented in the server rules. The outlaws have the archer to counterbalance the abbeys crossbows, as well as Brigand and Ruffian.

Abbey
26198,abbey1PA8R6.jpg

The Castles

There are only three castles in borderlands2 and so competition is fierce. All have their own character and are not intended to be equal. They do have different qualities though so it is expected different people will have their favorites.

]The Nordic Castle (West)

This is a small wooden fort located next to the ocean in the south west. Its key strategic advantage is its closeness to both the abbey and the city. It is also well connected with an inbuilt harbour and boat ramp for unloading. The fort starts with a longship and is well suited to raiding activities. There are three ways to take this fort. This first is to break the doors down. The second is to drive a small boat through the hanger and to surprise the defenders from the sea. There is also a third way.

Farendel
26201,farendal1S6OCD.jpg

26202,farendal2HGUAS.jpg

]The Swadian Castle (North)

Avelon castle remains little changed since the original borderlands. It is a very robust fortress with only a single point of attack – frontal charge. Many have perished storming this bastions great walls!

Avelon
26199,avalonfirstR5U9O.jpg

26200,avalon2Z0MK.jpg

The Sarranid Castle (east)

The east is perhaps the most remote part of the map. While partially sheltered from the madness in the west, the east enjoys a more refined way of living. Their castle is strong to the front but has a weak spot. Its dockyard to the south provides excellent trading links but it also exposes the defenders to sea born invasion which bypasses the outer walls.

Shariz
26204,sharzJRDV4.jpg

26205,sahrizXS1E4.jpg

The Economy

When it comes to serfing, the population any any given server who are actually at work tends to be very low, even on large servers. For this reason, and others, we have clustered the bulk of the resources at a location in the middle of the map. This is so that we can have at least one “village atmosphere” location on a reliable basis. It also forms the hub of the Merchant Economy we have put in place. What this means is that cheap sell points are located within the abbey area itself, only a very short distance from resources. Serfs have the option of avoiding carts, and the risks they involve, by using these cheap sell points. In order to get the goods where they are needed (city and castle armoury's/markets) merchants (or the serfs themselves) can caravan the goods to more expensive sell points at those locations.

As shown below, there are trade routes, by land and sea, that link the abbey’s cheap sell points to the expensive ones. The idea is that while many people do not play serf very often, there map be more willing to simply move goods, while remaining fighting class. This will hopefully make the economy more active, with more members involved.

26217,traderoutesAILA0.jpg

Although most of the goods are produced in the centre, there is also economic activity elsewhere. Both the castles and the city have an independent supply of wood. The castles also their own resources such as wheat, fish and salt. Gold and silver is only located in the large, remote location to the north. This can be sold in the city as bars and constitutes the longest trade route on the map.

Screenshots

26209,commonerspaw2Y0UB.jpg

26210,goldmine1H9MDU.jpg

26211,goldmine2UCMAY.jpg

26212,saltlake7WMBK.jpg

26213,outlawOQ3X4.jpg

26214,mercVSTZ0.jpg

26215,terrirotyNDNDR.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video of the Map

Map-tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1WpjK5K2cc&feature=youtu.be

Mappers:
Salva
Blucher
Guard

Written by:
Blucher

Special Thanks:
Erk for ideas

Download Link:

Original Version
http://www.mediafire.com/?tlzjtcbo8h2ut88

Most recent version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7eqh5uyxe3y9uvw/scn_scene_12%285%29.sco

Code:
scn_scene_12 scene_12 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000003b0000500000fffff00007adf0000632900004b02
 sea_outer_terrain_2

This map is not to be edited without Guards,Von_Bluchers & my consent. Only the version linked here is open to the public. All newer versions is to be requested personally of Guard,Von_Blucher & me.

Purchasable Houses

The map contains individual interior houses, which can be purchased for having a private area. The player first have to buy a house and paying rent each week.

[size=14pt]The benefits of buying a house are:

1. These houses will be entry-able only for the player who paid for this house.
2. Individual design by the purchaser how he wants it.
3. There will be a list of items(like beds/item chests/cheaper amours) and the payer can choose the items from the list and pay in game money to get them.

In order to purchase a house, the player has to write an application on the server own website.

Screenshots

26218,house14LWOE.jpg

26219,houseSWT4Q.jpg

Role-play Content

Shops

The city "Whiteforge" contains shops, which can be only entered by the faction. "Whiteforge Merchants". The Whiteforge Merchants are a admin closed faction, for - role-play only - and the Faction-lord of the Merchants will also be an Admin, who can give chosen players the keys to the Shops in order to have them "trollfree" or any disturbing role-play breakers.There are 3 different shops. The Cloth Shop , the Coffee(food) Shop and the Armory shop. The Armory contains a large number of individual armors which doesn't exists in the rest of the map. So the player can choose to either craft weapons/armors or to sell them if customers are arriving.

Shops

26220,shopamoury2N8CA.jpg

26221,shopcloths2C3ZY.jpg

26222,shopfood5GSSG.jpg

Tournament arena

In the city is a tournament place for events or for role-players of the "Whiteforge Faction", whose want to host a tournament(the doors are locked for this faction).

Tournament

26227,torunmanet11VDU.jpg

26228,tournament1RY9CG.jpg

26229,tournament2W58Y7.jpg

Saint Michel Abbey

The Abbey is a neutral area which contains a religion themed architecture and a village for peasants. Also in this area has several role-play features like a big Tavern, a witch-burning place and a abbey interior.

Abbey

26223,witchburning49WNH.jpg

26224,abbeytownBXD2B.jpg

26225,abbeyP30W7.jpg

26226,villageDNOQ2.jpg

Church and town-hall

The city contains a church for eg. weddings and a town-hall, which should serve as a meeting place for role-play purposes.

Church and Town-hall

26230,chruchSOA1H.jpg

26231,townhallFG54N.jpg

26232,townhall1IKPV1.jpg

Whiteforge Guards

They fulfills the purpose of the "Town-watch" of the city and they protect it from the faction. Also they have addition task like keeping the city safe and protect the merchants on their dangerous expeditions to the abbey or to the gold/silver mine.

Whiteforge Guards

26233,whiteforgeguardsVB6AB.jpg

26234,executionpalceO4GYJ.jpg

Safe Spawn points

To prevent any spawn killing there exists a safe spawn for commoners in 4 individual houses. The idea is that a new player joining the server for the first time will be Peasant class, and in role-play terms this represents his character making their first break away from their life up until this point in order to pursue a new life - be it soldiering, crafting or possibly generally being a peasant again. The 'Commoner Spawn Village is located quite near of the city and one has the opportunity for a  essentially fearless  start.

Safe Spawn

26237,safpointSXNND.jpg

26235,safepoint18X1X9.jpg

26236,safepoint2DFRXT.jpg

nice features there. I hope there will be a place for roleplayers and economists who can own taverns/farms.
Concerning the map that looks good, though I dont like the emphasis on water: this often split the players, and boats are often misused.
On that topic, I'd like some map design or features that makes a naval transportation for economy viable.

Thanks all for the feedback, we appreciate it. :wink:

@ Arthur.

This map will go live on EU_Union. Also it needs a specialized rule-set, which enforce a balance between faction wars and Role-play.
Especially the locked faction "Whiteforge Merchants"(city) needs a unique rule-set, in order that the house/shop/role-play ideas will work.
So its more possible that the map will be running on Union and if all goes fine, its possible to share this map with the NA community.

Also if someone is interested to participate at the Beta-testing, then contact me at steam(salvador_90) to get access to the Beta-test-Server.

Good sandbox elements there, Salva.
This white forge faction would really match my gameplay: I often promoted roleplay through tavern owner/crafter/doctor activities (in game name The_Hobbit), and the idea of a faction with different rule set excites me.
Based on this, I'm a bit sad that it is admin only. Would it be possible to open it to simple, non trolling, players that loves RP and economic activites?

@ batapoo

The Whiteforge Merchant faction is a closed faction, but not for - admins only - . One have to write an application on the server website to join the Whiteforge Merchants. If one gets accepted it will possible to get/earn a position like "shopkeeper/tavernkeeper", founding mining cooperation's or try to earn/work for a position as council member. (There will be a lord, who is one of the admin's and he will be always the lord in-game, to overview and give the keys to certain Whiteforge members). Also as Whiteforge Merchant member you will be able to purchase a private house like mentioned above.

So after all, the city will be a role-play focused area, which is separated from the madness of wars on the main land. :smile:

@ Salva, these houses people can buy.. if I buy one and someone breaks into my home can I KoS the person for breaking and entering and possibly attempted murder? O.O

---EDIT---

Added, expect to see me buying as many as possible so I can rp a caretaker for the poor which in turn they would be my personal work force and maybe even personal militia.

this often split the players, and boats are often misused.
On that topic, I'd like some map design or features that makes a naval transportation for economy viable.

There is nowhere a boat can take you that you cannot go by land. I have tested the journeys and they are all more or less direct. The water doesnt really block the freedom of movement that much if you look closely.

I dont see why you think "naval transportation" isnt viable on this map. I have been testing it myself and it certainly is.

PS whiteforge is certainly not admin only! It is intended to stimulate the game environment through RP and a more "productive" role that some players desire. It is still a new concept and so will no doubt evolve over time.

@ Salva, these houses people can buy.. if I buy one and someone breaks into my home can I KoS the person for breaking and entering and possibly attempted murder? O.O

Just make sure its not your wife .... oops too soon?  :shock:

Von Blucher said:

Just make sure its not your wife .... oops too soon?  :shock:

Well hmm, good point but how is it I could lock these "private doors" to myself rather than just keeping them open for anyone to open.  Is this possible or no?

Salva said:
Especially the locked faction "Whiteforge Merchants"(city) needs a unique rule-set, in order that the house/shop/role-play ideas will work.

and

Salva said:
@ batapoo

The Whiteforge Merchant faction is a closed faction, but not for - admins only - . One have to write an application on the server website to join the Whiteforge Merchants.

So basically the Whiteforge Merchants are a server own "Guild", which will be overview by the admins and will have a unique rule-set. If someone breaks the rules, he will lose his position in it and all his wealth(like houses etc). The houses are locked to the faction, and keys are needed to enter them. Whoever will entrance a house without the permission will be removed from the Merchants.

Indeed, it would be boring. So, in fact only the Lord of the Whiteforge Faction is an Admin, who can gives the keys to members of the official Whiteforge Merchants Guild.
These are usual players, whose have to make an Application to be accepted. After they are accepted, they can have the keys to the Shops.
And they can role-play as Shop-owner/smith/cloths-maker etc. without being trolled.

Salva said:
Also if someone is interested to participate at the Beta-testing, then contact me at steam(salvador_90) to get access to the Beta-test-Server.

Well the doors are locked to the Whiteforge Faction, which is a closed Faction.(An admin will be the lord) And lockpicks are not available on the map.
And to the official Guild will be only player accepted who are known as good role-player and trust able.

If it wont work as intended, then to the houses can be Admin-Portcullises added  . With other words: A house-owner needs
to ask in Admin-chat to open/close the house.

But first we would try the first option.

Its good to try new things. If it doesnt work it doesnt work.

The idea is they haggle price of items by adding a mark up (maybe 10%) They wont only be shopkeepers though. There is a "merchant economy" on the map as desribed in the description so they will be moving goods to the city as a priority but to castles too when there is time. They will also hav to craft new armours and watch their chest like other factions..

Tis not to mention tother RP business opportunitys you could make. They will also be hiring mercs, serfs and perhaps assasins etc, thus stimulating the game environment.

Here the last screens I forgot to upload:

Merc-camp
26254,28022013193334UN7R1.jpg

Swamp
26255,2802201319352194LGJ.jpg

Avalon interior and siege camp
26256,28022013193401WC64W.jpg

26257,28022013193430Z4BHQ.jpg

26258,280220131934465SB5M.jpg

Stonehenge:
26259,28022013193505UCEZQ.jpg

Goldmine:
26260,28022013193538B8QVR.jpg

I made video for a better impression of the map. Its kind of a tour through the map. :wink:

Watch in 1080p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGAlJnXhn8&feature=youtu.be

Back
Top Bottom