Manliness of various sports

Users who are viewing this thread

Raz

Count
You've got to be kidding me.

Rugby is a lot more violent than American Football. They hardly even wear protection.

Vilhjalmr said:
I didn't see any body slamming head butting or anything; they were just trying to grab something from each other. :???:

Kind of like that game kids play, keepaway or whatever. :razz:

well, they can't head butt, they would kill the other guy. They do i once in a while. But these are exceptions. The equation is simple as you pointed out before.
less padding = more dangerous
So they don't do the obvious violent stuff like headbutts. But it's violent enough, I wouldn't play it :wink: :grin: I've tried it once and I couldn't walk straight for a week :grin:

Rugby: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xvMFHXcd0yQ

Anyway, I felt my leg snap, people heard the crack 200 yards away and then I fell on the ground, with half my leg lying at 45 degrees to the rest. Then I picked it up and replaced back in its place. It's weird when you feel the bone go up to the skin and snap like a branch or something.

Nasty. Hope it doesn't affect your life too much. I seriously doubt you'll be breaking that leg again.

Pshh. I should have posted a pic of my compound break in october from american football. A lot worse than that. Its only manly if it comes out of the skin.

Heh, I'm Canadian so I don't watch a whole lot of football (hockey, eh?), but I know enough about it, and I went down to Italy for school last summer and watched a rugby game. Goddamn that **** is vicious stacked up against other sports! It's amazing how these guys just take ridiculous hits like that all game.

Doesn't hurt that much. I'd say the most painful thing is if someone is wearing improper studs or blades. They really cut your legs.

I always sucked at rugby. I was too tall and skinny, and too nice.

Curiously enough though, as soon as you put me in goal in a football (soccer) match, I start playing rugby. :lol:

Leprechaun said:
I always sucked at rugby. I was too tall and skinny, and too nice.

Curiously enough though, as soon as you put me in goal in a football (soccer) match, I start playing rugby. :lol:
Hey, I made exactly the same experiences in the past. I was hell of a keeper, until people just started shooting from far away (and aiming at my face).

Trick is then to interlock your hands and hold them out in front of you, you can watch the ball through the gap between your thumbs and fingers and you've got a couple of feet to stop the ball in in front of your face.

I was always pretty good at Rugby. Couldn't stand footy though.

I didn't see any body slamming head butting or anything; they were just trying to grab something from each other.
You're not watching closely enough. Head butting is illegal, thus done on the quiet (or if you mistime a forward tackle you can perform a diving headbutt, just be careful that the ref can't get a clear view). Body tackles are the norm, and of course everyone tends to engage in the old gouging, biting and elbows once in the middle of a scrum. Also, try to keep your feet because if you go down you can expect quite a few people to accidentally on purpose stamp on you. Beware of tackling someone from the front, because a favorite trick was to choose that point to kick the ball and time it so you connected with the buggers chin instead of the ball (hey, he dived for it ...). Tackles from behind could be nasty if you can grab the guys head and face plant him into the mud, the counter to this is diving when the guy behind you tries to tackle, and bringing your studs up to catch him in the head or chest (if you're capable of flicking the heels right when running you can also make a mess of his shins if he's foolish enough to get too close). If all else fails, hammering the pointed end of the ball into the eye, nose or groin of someone trying to tackle you can produce satisfying results.

Meh, the thing that always got me about playing rugby was the obscene number of pointless rules that I never got a chance to learn. It always seemed that whatever I did the ref would blow the whistle.

Why don't they just give them weapons, ditch the ball and turn it into a gladiatorial combat?
Ever heard of hurling?

Wow, I'm glad I quit and took up shooting. Sounds safer.

I think the worst game I played was in Buxton (familiar eh?  :razz:), it was about -1 in the changing rooms alone and I got punched in throat, namely the adam's apple. That, plus the freezing cold air I was gasping for hurt like hell. Also was almost knocked unconcious by my own team mate. He got swung around and the back of his skull hit my face, and broke my nose.

Archonsod said:
Vilhjalmr said:
Why don't they just give them weapons, ditch the ball and turn it into a gladiatorial combat? :lol:

Because then it would be hockey, which is a girl's game.

:neutral:

That's offensive.

And bound to PO this boards numerous Canucks and Russkies. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom