Make the empire roman again!

Would you rather have a more late roman look for the empire in Banerlord?

• Yes, give me some more recognizable late roman legionaires and legates!

• No, byzantines are just cooler.

• No. Late romans would kill the imersion in this strictly 10th century europeian world .

• I couldn't care less about how the imperials look.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't exactly love the look that the Empire has atm, but its WAY more unique than another Roman copy paste. The Byzatines are VASTLY underrepresented, and its cool to see that TW has at least chosen to make the Empire look that way.

Dunno about Battanians looking like 5th century Bretons, or worse yet Vlandian 'Normans' though. Bannerlord is WAY anachronistic, having scutum bearing, gladius wielding, pila throwing legionaries would not make the game anymore fantastical.

You are sharing your tastes with us, I totally respect that. But my confusion arises from (maybe I should have explained them in my first post :lol: ) the references you provide ...Mainz, Montefortino, Galea, "square scuta", "attic helmet"... it has little to do with the theme "Late Roman". We already have the essence of "Late Roman" (although it could be extended a little more) and it is perfectly in keeping with the Byzantine style; whether you like it or not, Roman from the 5th century is equal to Byzantine from the 5th century.
Those kite shields, coifs, late spangenhelms and kettle helmets are way more 11th century than 5th century, in fact most of that empire gear on the game is. Of course any eastern roman soldier from 476 AD onwards is "byzantine" but I'm using that word to refer to later armor and gear styles. Eastern roman legionaires from the 5th and 6th century were equiped the same way from before the end of the w. empire and that's the look I was going for. You know, early ridge helmets (mainz or intercisa) and oval shields. Lorica Halmata with chaimail shoulders and all.

edit: you made a sketch a year ago showing exactly what I'm talking about but can't find it now...

Last edited:
The mod is cool but it just looks out of place with the rest of the game.
True but it gives a good impression what Modders will be able to do with the game.
But honestly all i want is to play Gondor. With their sweet ass armor
towerGuards.1.jpg

I am thinking Rohan since everyone going Gondor but that sweet armour is swaying me a lot
Pretty much any "good order" faction.
But back to topic. I am all for a Roman Look, and wish more factions would be visually stunning as they are from the Semi Roman Empire mod.
The only Armor i can think of in the vanilla game that makes me kinda wanna play them is Battanian Armor.

True but it gives a good impression what Modders will be able to do with the game.
But honestly all i want is to play Gondor. With their sweet ass armor
towerGuards.1.jpg
Same, all of KoA is going to be insane. I can't wait to see what they can do with the bigger models like trolls and elephants.

Gondorian armor is amazing, so is rohirim. I guess imperial armor from bannerlord just feels underwhelming, bland and lacking in visual identity. I whish for a more roman indentity because I guess it could fix all of that. The imperials certainly didnt get as much love in visual development as the battanians did.

Last edited:
Cato would be proud...Non of these fancy Caesarian manners. Switch shields with Khuzaits and give them the Spartha swords :wink: Slap in the testudo while were at it with an cannon mounted to the top...Sorry that last bit was a bit over the...

Last edited:
Strictly 10th century European world?!?

I guess I’m supposed to ignore the 11th century date, and faction inspiration going back to the 1st century, with core inspiration even stated falling all over between those dates.

I think the Byzantine Aesthetics are better overall as it opens up an even earlier 3rd game centered around the 2nd Punic War where we can get strong Antiquity design. Stick to the late Dark Ages here

I just high-key want this armor in the game.
Byzantine_klivanium_%28%CE%9A%CE%BB%CE%B9%CE%B2%CE%AC%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%BF%CE%BD%29.jpg
Ah yes, the Mirror amor of St. Theodore...
Even though this armor belongs to the 13th century upwars (its Russian version "zertsalo" and Ottoman version "krug" even later on in 15th-16th century), i think making and giving this armor to the highest tier Empire soldiers (or to one of the 3 empire leaders) would be rather cool.

Yeah... The Late Romans are the Byzantines, which the game mimic almost correctly, but many troops got close to accuracy...

The Western Roman Empire and Eastern/Byzantine Empire... t's all and the same, right? It was historians who gave the terms and naming for this part.. They called themselves Romans and that's it. Greece ( Byzantines) were already romanized.

The Empire being a blatantly obvious call to the Roman Empire, I don't mind that it looks like the Roman Empire (after all, there is no problem with Battanians looking like Celts, is it ?).
One thing that I would find interesting, though, is to slightly theme them to fit different aspects of the Roman Empire. It'd be especially fitting considering each faction does correspond to a period of the Empire.

- Southern Empire puts emphasis on hereditary succession, on a king-like head of state. That's what the Byzantine Empire tried to morph into, with the Basileus figure (even if certainly it quite often didn't happen smoothly). As such, this faction could be given a Byzantine-like theme.

- Western Empire, with the army taking the lead and the "emperor-general", certainly sounds like the later Western Empire and the chaotic succession crisis that usually ended up in civil war. They could be themed as late, well, Western Roman Empire.

- Finally, the Northern Empire and its Senate-based imperial election is reminiscent of the Early Roman Empire. So, well...

With this, we could have thematic and visual variety while still being completely faithful to the faction's concepts.

Strictly 10th century European world?!?

I guess I’m supposed to ignore the 11th century date, and faction inspiration going back to the 1st century, with core inspiration even stated falling all over between those dates.

I think the Byzantine Aesthetics are better overall as it opens up an even earlier 3rd game centered around the 2nd Punic War where we can get strong Antiquity design. Stick to the late Dark Ages here
I wrote that in a sarcastic tone hoping no one would choose that option hahahahaha

Well they don't really look like celts at all, and when the first screenshots of them started coming out people were pretty frustrated at how terrible they looked.
-They have the best looking armor and equipment in the game at the moment.
-One has to admit all those chainmail shirts with mail shoulder reinforcements and flat diamond shields look quite celtic. Even their musical themes are obviously celtic/breton. Like BraveHeart played with bagpipes at a NY police officer funeral celtic.

Back
Top Bottom