Make the empire roman again!

Would you rather have a more late roman look for the empire in Banerlord?

• Yes, give me some more recognizable late roman legionaires and legates!

• No, byzantines are just cooler.

• No. Late romans would kill the imersion in this strictly 10th century europeian world .

• I couldn't care less about how the imperials look.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

So, BenjiG91 just posted a "semi" roman conversion mod for the empire in the Nexus. His uploaded galea, scutum and other assets are absolutely amazing and make the vanilla byzantine look TW gave to the empire quite underwhelming in comparission. I know using the byzantine as inspirition is a matter of chronology but I can't help thinking they should have sticked to the diocletian look from early concept art. Early and late legionaires are just way more iconic and cooler than byzantine soldiers, man. Is it too late to hope for some late roman armor and shields in the game?

To make it clear, no, I don't expect TW would suddenly give the imperials square scuta and Montefortino or Galea helmets. That wouldn't really sit well with all those vlandian normans on the same world, I know. I do however wish the devs would at least give us some Mainz helmets and better looking loricas from the 4th century for the infantry. The battanians allready look like bretons from the 5th century, it wouldn't be absurd to get some decent recognizable comitatenses to match. I can't stress enought how much cooler the early concept art for the empire looked, compared to these weird byzantines we got. Hell, even the in-game imperial cataphracts would fit perfectly with some of those legionaires from the old drawings.

Anyone with me? Maybe I can at least get the art department to see this post and consider some "romanization". Hey, they could even throw us an attic helmet eventyally. I assume they will add a lot more assets as development of ea continues, gotta believe that is possible. One can dream.

(link to BenjiG91's mod)

giphy.gif

Mmmmm...

I understand the urge to make bannerlord resemble history more, but the more this game becomes a facsimile of reality rather than its own thing, the more I'm going to wish I was playing a game that was actually based on history and not just a half-assed, semi fantasy copy.

I would like if the romanization could encapsulate only the western empire, and the northern to be a bit different as well, while the south to remain as it is. A bit more diversification would make sence even if the Empire has just split into 3, as different provinces border different enemies, thus adjusting the army would seem sensible.
Also i like variety so there's that.

I understand the urge to make bannerlord resemble history more, but the more this game becomes a facsimile of reality rather than its own thing, the more I'm going to wish I was playing a game that was actually based on history and not just a half-assed, semi fantasy copy.
Im' not really arguing for more accuracy here. I'm arguing for a more late antiquity look for the empire instead of the medieval look we got. The game factions are allready inspired by wideley different periods in history anyways.

Yeah no that is my final answer.
If I wanted to play another game where the generic empire faction has to be Rome or roman I'd just play the thousands of games that do it

Yeah no that is my final answer.
If I wanted to play another game where the generic empire faction has to be Rome or roman I'd just play the thousands of games that do it
None of those games got M&B unique mechanics though... Can't think of a game that lets you lead a cohort of legionaries in third person as Bannerlord could.

Sorry man, was that confusing? I'm a bit sleep deprived and couldn't review the text properly before posting hahahaha

You are sharing your tastes with us, I totally respect that. But my confusion arises from (maybe I should have explained them in my first post :lol: ) the references you provide ...Mainz, Montefortino, Galea, "square scuta", "attic helmet"... it has little to do with the theme "Late Roman". We already have the essence of "Late Roman" (although it could be extended a little more) and it is perfectly in keeping with the Byzantine style; whether you like it or not, Roman from the 5th century is equal to Byzantine from the 5th century.

I wish the empire didn't look roman AT ALL.

This is mount and blade not bloody gladiator. But I know I can't change that.... just my personal preference.

Last edited:
Well.. I had a similar idea to propose but not like this mod. Currently, different empire factions have no difference at all. They are almost identical apart from the colors. I would love to see some Late Roman type troops on the Western Empire while one still stick to Byzantine culture and another one Aserai/Parthian + Byzantine hybrid. I think this would also give the feeling of "separation" to the player as well. ( If im missing any troop tree difference, please feel free to warn me, I haven't noticed any )

They already have Legion of Betrayed for Late Roman type units. They can copy some from Aserai for other one and make some Byzantine tweaks around it.

Well.. I had a similar idea to propose but not like this mod. Currently, different empire factions have no difference at all. They are almost identical apart from the colors. I would love to see some Late Roman type troops on the Western Empire while one still stick to Byzantine culture and another one Aserai/Parthian + Byzantine hybrid. I think this would also give the feeling of "separation" to the player as well. ( If im missing any troop tree difference, please feel free to warn me, I haven't noticed any )

They already have Legion of Betrayed for Late Roman type units. They can copy some from Aserai for other one and make some Byzantine tweaks around it.
This mod is a great example of how to add some difference to the sections of the empire.

No from me. I like the byzantine look more in bannerlord rather than late imperial armor. But the mod is very good quality work. Props to the author.

Back
Top Bottom