Make the athletics skill give an HP boost

Currently viewing this thread:

burh321

Recruit
Like the title suggests, i think that there should be a way to give characters more hp through the skill tree, like in warband. Just like the weapon skills give more weapon speed and damage, a suggestion is that the athletics skill could give speed and hp. Or have more perks that gives more hp. Currently there are perks that gives 2 hp and 5 hp bonuses and just really pitiful values that doesnt help at all considering how much damage everybody does. Like how much is a 2 hp increase going to help when taking 300 damage from a lance?

And while i like how there are no super humans in bannerlord, i also really dislike how the companions and the lords go down super easily in every single battle - often without getting any kills. Right now it is extremely easy to snipe enemy lords in battle, and i think it should be more challenging. Same goes for companions. There really isnt any reason to try and develop a companion into a great fighter because they still die really easy. You can give a companion 300 skills for one handed but they still will get more kills with a bow. I played around with hp for companions and even at 200 hp alot of them still only get 5 kills, but at least they will come out of a few of the battles without being unconscious.

By having the athletics skill give hp, it is also going to give infantry a much needed buff. A cavalry unit with high riding can one shot alot of units, just like a high archery archer can 1 or 2 shot some units. I think that the athletics skill can act as a good counter for that, because currently there are no counters for it. This is also going to make battles longer, which in my opinion is one of the main things bannerlord needs. Longer battles i feel should be a given epsecially later into the game when armies tend to have more elite troops, but instead it just means that everybody dies faster.

Basically: i suggest more survivability
 
I guess that your point about easiness of lords being slain is a fair one, but I don't think that them being a noble justifies any survivability boost, beside armor granted one, which is the current state of game. After all, they are not much more buffed than average soldier that fights for 5 years non-stop. They are just average dudes with some power to command.
 

burh321

Recruit
I guess that your point about easiness of lords being slain is a fair one, but I don't think that them being a noble justifies any survivability boost, beside armor granted one, which is the current state of game. After all, they are not much more buffed than average soldier that fights for 5 years non-stop. They are just average dudes with some power to command.

I get that and i also like that about the game. I just think that because lords play a part in how well units fight and how easily they flee they should have more survivability just for balance purposes because as i said, currently its just super easy to just snipe the lord. It should be more of a challenge/reward type thing imo.

And i do like the concept that if you are a noble you have more money and can afford more armor and more survivability, but then theres the problem that i dont think armor does a good enough job of that. It does its part, but i also think that any soldier, noble or not, that has fought for 5 years non stop should be way more experienced and therefore more competent in battle. So imo, higher level should = more HP to better represent them dodging hits and blocking more hits than the basic recruits with no experience. If we were thinking logically, wouldnt also higher athletics and higher speed mean that you were harder to hit in battle?
 
In real life scenarios, troops ran away much more often than they do in BL. Here 80% of them gets slaughtered, while remaining 20% tries to fight for a while, then dies trying to run away. Historical battles usally had usually much less casualties, while rest just ran away as the formation broke. To be fair, the armor mostly gave some protection, so the death rate was much lower.

Nobles on the battlefield are commanding units and should be fighting if necessary. The case of BL nobles storming first to battle is weird to me, but I guess this is the life now. In real life the richest nobles were often worse fighters than poor ones, so I am not so sure if fact that the nobles are in fight actually translates to "he is better warrior".
 

burh321

Recruit
In real life scenarios, troops ran away much more often than they do in BL. Here 80% of them gets slaughtered, while remaining 20% tries to fight for a while, then dies trying to run away. Historical battles usally had usually much less casualties, while rest just ran away as the formation broke. To be fair, the armor mostly gave some protection, so the death rate was much lower.

Nobles on the battlefield are commanding units and should be fighting if necessary. The case of BL nobles storming first to battle is weird to me, but I guess this is the life now. In real life the richest nobles were often worse fighters than poor ones, so I am not so sure if fact that the nobles are in fight actually translates to "he is better warrior".

Yes but i was talking from a balance perspective. Killing the lord early on in the battle results in the units fighting worse and fleeing more easily, making all the battles MUCH easier for the player and your allies. Because the human player can defend themselves infinitely better than any ai lord, you will always have an advantage there. I dont really care if rich nobles were worse fighters than poor ones in real life, because in bannerlord there is a system that is implemented to make more experienced people better than less experienced people. My point is, there is already a system in place that makes higher level units, lords and companions better in every way except survivability. Higher level equals more damage, higher attack speed and alot more. So there obviously is an idea here that more experienced people are more skilled and superior in combat than unexperienced people. If they were going for realism here that just wouldnt be in the game. There is also a vague idea there to increase survivability because of the perks that give 2 hp and 5 hp. Which is literally nothing when i can go around cutting people for 70 hp per swing. It would be balanced if those perks gave like 20 hp. I just think that it makes alot of sense that higher level means that you not only can dish out harder and faster attacks, but also withstand more attacks.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom