SP - Battles & Sieges Make siege engines automatically be built in reserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Realistically, an army wouldn't build siege engines in the range of fire of the besieged settlement. Currently they appear in the range of fire of the settlement and then the player (and only the player) can make them disappear off of the battlefield (reserve) and redeploy at his will.

Gameplay-wise, the only way to build offensive siege engines is exactly that, to quickly put them into reserve and get them out of reserve all at once. It's currently a very unimmersive way of doing it.

The biggest problem of this system is that the AI suffers from this issue the most. The AI not having a "reserve" option means AI lords can never build offensive siege engines because they get destroyed, and when the player is the vassal of a kingdom this brings big issues for siege gameplay for the player. The current issue is that the increased accuracy of the defensive mangonels (which is a good improvement) destroy the siege engines of the attacker almost instantly. The battering ram and the siege towers have such low health that they get taken out in just a few hits.

The attacking AI also has a big issue of starting the attack too soon, which is not a problem in AI vs AI auto-calculate battles, but when you count in the player (as a vassal) it comes with big issues. The AI starts the battle after building only 1 or 2 siege engines (ram or ram and 1 tower) which get taken out before they reach the wall in 100% of the cases.

If you do a small rework of the system and you force the AI to build more siege engines (make sure the AI always builds both the 2 siege towers and the battering ram at least), and you also put the offensive engines automatically in reserve (catapults and trebuchets) this would be a huge improvement. The attacking AI needs catapults to counter the castle's own siege engines during battle. So if you put them in reserve automatically, instead of the attacking AI having NO siege engines always, they will have siege engines to support the battle, so it is a solution to that.

There is no reason for the AI to try to speedrun their sieges. They have so many troops in their armies that they build siege engines very fast, so make them not stop after 1 or two siege engines built.

I am sure this has been suggested before, and I am sure a siege rework is in the works, but just wanted to make sure the need for this change and the current issues are heard, so I decided to make another thread in the appropriate suggestions forum.

Realistically, an army wouldn't build siege engines in the range of fire of the besieged settlement. Currently they appear in the range of fire of the settlement and then the player (and only the player) can make them disappear off of the battlefield (reserve) and redeploy at his will.

Gameplay-wise, the only way to build offensive siege engines is exactly that, to quickly put them into reserve and get them out of reserve all at once. It's currently a very unimmersive way of doing it.

The biggest problem of this system is that the AI suffers from this issue the most. The AI not having a "reserve" option means AI lords can never build offensive siege engines because they get destroyed, and when the player is the vassal of a kingdom this brings big issues for siege gameplay for the player. The current issue is that the increased accuracy of the defensive mangonels (which is a good improvement) destroy the siege engines of the attacker almost instantly. The battering ram and the siege towers have such low health that they get taken out in just a few hits.

The attacking AI also has a big issue of starting the attack too soon, which is not a problem in AI vs AI auto-calculate battles, but when you count in the player (as a vassal) it comes with big issues. The AI starts the battle after building only 1 or 2 siege engines (ram or ram and 1 tower) which get taken out before they reach the wall in 100% of the cases.

If you do a small rework of the system and you force the AI to build more siege engines (make sure the AI always builds both the 2 siege towers and the battering ram at least), and you also put the offensive engines automatically in reserve (catapults and trebuchets) this would be a huge improvement. The attacking AI needs catapults to counter the castle's own siege engines during battle. So if you put them in reserve automatically, instead of the attacking AI having NO siege engines always, they will have siege engines to support the battle, so it is a solution to that.

There is no reason for the AI to try to speedrun their sieges. They have so many troops in their armies that they build siege engines very fast, so make them not stop after 1 or two siege engines built.

I am sure this has been suggested before, and I am sure a siege rework is in the works, but just wanted to make sure the need for this change and the current issues are heard, so I decided to make another thread in the appropriate suggestions forum.
It is being discussed here:
Mray would bring it up internally

That would be great. I really hope to see improvements in this area, it would be awesome ? I also hope they will fix the issue of AI only building a ram and starting the siege, then it instantly being destroyed by defensive mangonels. I want to see real epic sieges and currently it's very anticlimatic

Back
Top Bottom