Make my character!

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been doing this on a new guy and it can be quite fun.

I made him take all the merchant type character creation choices and he's focusing on:

INT/inv.management/persuasion/tactics

CHA/leadership/prisoner management/trade

doing lots of trading, and hunting bandits/looters/sea raiders, haven't sworn in as a vassal yet so I can ignore the wars going on so far.

Given him a few points in combat skills for tournaments (but don't really seek them out, just play them when I happen to be in town with one)

And putting 2 points in some of the surgeon/tracking/engineer type skills to give my heroes a bonus on those.

In combats I find a tall hill to sit atop my horse on with my surgeon (who I bodyguard) at my side and have found it quite fun to employ mutliple different unit types and really use the different groups to give different commands and tactics. Even have my combat oriented NPC heroes focusing on different skill sets and in with base units of similar bent, kind of seeing each of them as the officer(s) of their group.

Kniggit said:
NJSQRL said:
** Note ** Anything along the lines of a axe slingin Nord will likely be dismissed as that is business as usual for me.

Well there goes my suggestion...

How about a naked axe slingin' Nord?!

-Kniggit

I believe that one was already given.

what I do is a versatile char that leads a company all by himself. STR and AGI are at 12. INT and CHA as high as I can get them. Focus on movement(path-finding+mebbe spotting), medical(mostly wound treatment, as I don't care to lug a bunch of wounded after a battle) and loot(looting+inv. management, as I equip exclusively from loot). for weapons, I make sure I have primary and secondary proficiencies both in melee and range. So one char leads Nord warriors, fighting with 1h/2h(bastard weapons), shield and thrown weapons; while the other has a bow and a long axe(2h/pole) and leads Nord vet archers. Both use xbows for when fighting Swads in a siege. So two chars make use of all weapons between themselves.

For background:
male, vet warrior, street urchin, squire, lust for money and power. I've found this to be the most customizable template while giving some good combat skills in early game.

So for skills:
AGI is already at 12 when I start, with STR following a couple of levels later. Then I up CHA to 12, putting skill points only in leadership(spares from CHA are used to fill up other skils, such as PD/PT). Then I up INT to 12, putting all the necessary skill points in the already mentioned support skills. I roll only solo, killing looters and bandits(mostly sea raiders and tundra bandits for their loot). This way by day 30 I'm usually lvl 15(all attribs at 12), with a decent amount of cash, decent proficiencies and the support skills to lead a company all by myself.

Then I just gather a big bunch of recruits(considering the leadership and all the renown from soloing, that really is a big bunch) and spend like 3 days at a training field. What I come out with is a sizeable bunch of tier 4 troops. Ready to rock!

rapier17 said:
Could always try what I call my 'Commander' build;

Sex: Male
Character name: Whatever you want
Father: Travelling Merchant
Child: Apprentice
After that: Uni Student

Starting stats:
Str: 7
Agi: 5
Int: 9
Cha: 9

Why? You start off with a decent Int & Cha which gives you a good headstart for levelling up 'commander' skills such as Trainer, Leadership, Prisoner Management, Inventory Management, Path-finding, Tactics & so on. You have 'enough' strength to be alright in melee but thats not what you should be doing. With regards to Agi, shove it up a few points to get 'Looting' & 'Riding' to level 3 - more loot is ALWAYS good and having a decent ride skill will allow you to quickly traverse the battlefield to understand whats going on (I prefer doing that over the battlemap for 'immersion' I suppose - put myself more into the role of a commander).

A good commander ideally never unsheaths a weapon - their troops are their sole armament and this is what I tried to centre this build around. To get the best organisation out of this you will have to designate different soldiers to different groups (and rename them to something that makes sense to you). So when you press '1' you know you're talking to your elite infantry guard, or '3' for your horse archers, or '9' for your Crossbowmen. You get the idea.

The big downside of this build is you are not concentrating on levelling your melee attributes such as Power Strike and so on, which makes tournaments and having to fight on the battlefield a lot, lot tougher BUT! challenge is its own reward.

Decided to go with this one... Since you didn't give me a faction I went Rhodok as I feel they best suit a command type unit.

Interesting choice, and I applaud choosing the Rhodoks! Tactics are the most fun when you don't have cavalry.

Will you use a horse yourself? Will you recruit companions? I am personally RPing a Rhodok now, without a horse and only Vorian as my companion, since he is a classic Rhodok.

Captain_Octavius said:
Interesting choice, and I applaud choosing the Rhodoks! Tactics are the most fun when you don't have cavalry.

Will you use a horse yourself? Will you recruit companions? I am personally RPing a Rhodok now, without a horse and only Vorian as my companion, since he is a classic Rhodok.

Vorion?

And yes, I actually started yesterday (had a conference call that was boring me to death so figured why not...) and have most of the companions (option to force them to stay).

No horse for me, I wear my Noblemen Outfit (stolen from Lezalit :grin: ) khergit leather boots (the black ones) and leather gloves... my only weapon is my bastard sword, no shield, no helmet.

I have Jeremus, Klethi, and Artimenner all wearing similar type armor sets only difference is they have no weapons and are armed with shields (2 each) their sole purpose is to stay out of the way... they are my healers/architects.

Then I have Lezalit, Bunduk, Matheld and the like all set up in Heraldic Mail, heater shields, sarranid guard swords, and winged helmets... they are set as my personal guard and only role they play is to guard myself and the healers in battle.

Edit- That is to say, this is hwo they will be set up when I can afford the items... for now it is loot gen for most of them.

Battle lines go Infantry/Crossbowmen/lions paw (name of the group for my gaurds) and then finally...the squishies (me and the medics)

I do hope you enjoy the build. It sounds boring as you're not often in the midst of combat, and when you are, you know it's not going to plan, but winning the fight without drawing your sword - made me feel more like a commander.
Having the characters as your personal guard is a great idea, one I'd do myself but I don't like having the companions (except for one 'hot chick' companion I found in Brytenwalda mod :grin:). I'm playing the build currently in Diplomacy & Pike combined mod and I'm rather enjoying it. Like you I went for Rhodoks (can't think of who else I'd go for) and have a personal guard of 'Rhodok Sergeant Crossbowmen', which I assume are just Rhodok Sharpshooters renamed. One thing I have started doing is a sort of inspection of the soldiers before the enemy get close, walking my horse down their ranks, then joining my guard and watching the fight unfold.

If you've only gone with combat builds before then I do recommend giving this build a try just for a break.

I still reccomend you mod in a flag weapon so you ahve two weapons a sword and flag  (aka lance)

King Cedric the Conqueror is now dead...

Survived untold numbers of battles with every faction first as a merc, then as a vassal to the Rhodoks and eventually to his own kingdom (which I never actually named...)

He fought off the Rhodoks whom he formally served, the Sarranids, Khergits, Swadians, and Vaegirs (never went to war with the Nords) he commanded legions of troops and took over the desert, large pieces of the mountainous Rhodok lands and the Steppe from the Khergits.

He died in a duel with Jarl Surdun over the Lady Aesa in the fields outside of Sargoth... he was 703 days old. Upon losing the duel the dice were cast and got a 3... (need 4+ to live)

RIP Cedric

Next one: And mid-aged Vaegir Nobleman who sits in his Tundra/Taiga Castle and has no real armie except a few companions, but gathers up the Peasants if called to war by his liege or marshal. Mb modify Party Size for that :grin:

A fun suggestion:

Start out as anything but the son of a Veteran Warrior/Noble man and select the "poorest" of the professions and life stories.

When you start out, sell all of your gear and food, and buy stuff and sell it until you have almost no money. 

Then, fight in the arena until you get enough money to buy basic equipment.  Once you're strong enough, set out on your journey.  It makes the rise of from "rags to riches" that much more epic.

Go from someone with absolutely nothing to King of Calradia.

Back
Top Bottom