Make a RPG with the warband's engine & codding source

Users who are viewing this thread

FantasyWarrior

Hello everybody,

I’d like to create an RPG with Warband’s engine, and would like some help on certain things I can’t really figure how to do. My project is an ambitious one, but I do believe it possible, if I can manage, with your help to:

- Basically remove the world map. The action would take place directly and only in many different scenes, forming an open-world type map, as you would see in any RPG. The player would travel from one scene to the other, thus allowing it to be supported by Warband’s engine.

- Write code allowing to loot a downed enemy, and pick up stuff he carries in his inventory. Further than that, it would allow the player to pick up objects and clutter on the ground, such as food, weapons, books...

- If possible, set up a day/night cycle along with weather effects in real time.

Right now, those things are the main causes for concern, as I am not exactly sure how to make them. If any of you has got any lead, any idea or suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated. Just a small thing could mean a lot for me, as it could lead me in the right direction, and hopefully to success. As of now, the mod is intended to be in French, since I am French myself, but if enough progress is made and the mod is releasable, an English translation will definitely be considered.

Please, feel free to give any feedback considering my ideas, about how to make them happen or any good alternative you could think of to lead this mod to a successful ending.

And if a Taleworlds dev reads this, please think of conceiving a classic RPG as a stand-alone game, without lords, a world map, large armies and battles (only 6-8 fighters skirmishes like in classic RPGs). Having myself brought complete RPG elements in a Warband module, I can absolutely tell your engine is very much appropriate for that and that it could be very easy and fast to make it happen.

A Taleworlds-made RPG would be very appreciated by the fans.

Thank you.

Reminds me of the days when Yoshiboy was around... his work was amazing...

On topic:

Basically you will have to make the scenes you want: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,163368.0.html

Then connected them using scene props/ scripts that trigger through scene props using the function: jump_to_scene                          = 1910 # (jump_to_scene,<scene_id>,<entry_no>),

QuailLover said:
Check this out: It is a an M&B mod. It's still a great mod to play.

http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/board,15.0.html

It is perfectly possible, to make it with the world map, and would be easier.

Thank you, it's very interesting!

SonKidd said:
Reminds me of the days when Yoshiboy was around... his work was amazing...

On topic:

Basically you will have to make the scenes you want: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,163368.0.html

Then connected them using scene props/ scripts that trigger through scene props using the function: jump_to_scene                          = 1910 # (jump_to_scene,<scene_id>,<entry_no>),

Thx, but i know for that (module script/party encounter > menu > jump to the scene + mission template...) no probleme.

I just need help for:

- Basically remove the world map. The action would take place directly and only in many different scenes, forming an open-world type map, as you would see in any RPG. The player would travel from one scene to the other, thus allowing it to be supported by Warband’s engine.

nevermind  :neutral:

- Write code allowing to loot a downed enemy, and pick up stuff he carries in his inventory. Further than that, it would allow the player to pick up objects and clutter on the ground, such as food, weapons, books...

- If possible, set up a day/night cycle along with weather effects in real time.

Thanks!  :smile:

- Further than that, it would allow the player to pick up objects and clutter on the ground, such as food, weapons, books...

Scene props with triggers again I guess.

- Write code allowing to loot a downed enemy, and pick up stuff he carries in his inventory.

My best guess would be to do it this way:

Fire a trigger when enemy die, spawn a invisible scene prop - set scene prop slot to troop id. When interacting with scene prop, generate items you want through the troop id?

Never came across this - but Im sure someone with experience can tell you if its possible/point you in the right direction.

You can just pass the dead troop's items over to a temporary troop inventory then go to the looting screen.  As an alternative, you can just auto-loot the inventory and pass it to the player's inventory, or you can script up an object with a reference to a temp troop and create an interaction with the object, allowing access to the loot screen.

Probably the second method is best; having to constantly deal with the loot screen would be annoying, and a well-designed RPG based on this engine wouldn't include a lot of drudgery and inventory-shuffling.  A straightforward loot filter script could even be designed, allowing players to bypass auto-looting stuff they no longer want, while keeping what they do.

Anyhow, that part is pretty straightforward, and there is plenty of example code in the game already.

Picking up objects on the ground is also very simple; you just need to write up a script for interactive objects set up as scene props, putting them into the player's inventory if interacted with. 

Lastly, doing day / night cycles is possible, but pretty difficult to do nicely.  To really pull it off properly, you'd have to write shaders and pass them data in real time, as the engine is not set up for dynamic sun lights at all.  However, to do a simple version, you can just use the commands that are available to change the skybox via the set_skybox command and then rebuild the shadowmaps.

Spawn an invisible chest with the dead troop's inventory items where an enemy died in order to loot it? Oooooor, to be even more fun you could make the items fall all around the enemy just like in Diablo series hahaha. Ok, that would be a mess, but still it's funny :smile:

Day/night cycle would be awesome. probably a series of skydomes becoming visible as the hours pass? So not one skydome as in Warband but 4 (night, day, morning and evening) that REVOLVE so the sun and moon and stars go around. And when evening comes the evening sky fades in while the day sky fades out, then the evening sky fades out as the night sky fades in, etc... Well, that would be the theory I guess, coding is well beyond be here.

To disable the world map just start the game in a town (just like WB now) and disable the TAB key for all the scenes you have :smile: This way you'll be "stuck" in the scenes for all eternity. You'll have to correlate your day-night cycle with the time script that WB has and be sure you send the day/night data between scenes.

You might want to look at that series of "Persistent" mods in order to make the world real: I mean so you don't have NPC respawning in a place you just cleared. Aaaaand you'll have to find a way to make the "attack in city" script work on sword attack instead of using the "friendly fire" trigger (people react only to arrows and stuff instead of swords). You might want to add a gradual response from people when you pull your sword out (like in the first Gothic game): alarm (people run away), warning (guards ask you to put your weapon away), threat (guards take out their swords) and attack (you put the guards on enemy team, population also). Also add possibility to taunt someone into fighting you from the dialog menu.

Ok, I'll stop here, I have too many ideas I cannot put into practice already, no need to spam you with them. Good luck with this :wink:

Thank you for your help  :grin:

As it’s pretty hard to create a proper day/night cycle, I thought to add a « sleep » action to skip through time. The player would need to use it since he would need to recover energy and keep stats to decrease due to tiredness. By clicking a bed it would open a menu in which the player would chose how long he wants to sleep.
I have almost all the scripts I need, I only lack a few such as the ones I talked about before.

Here’s a quick presentation of my project.
There will be:
- Magic (working like archery: spell books + mana.
- Enemies such as undead, skeletons, giants, and why not giant skeletons.
- An open world working like such:
To allow the player to avoid the world map, the trick I found is to add huge invisible activators (scripted scene_props) in the various scenes, that would teleport the player from one scene to the other when he gets close enough. When the player accesses a new scene, it would be unlocked on the world map and when he loads a save and finds himself on the world map (which he will, because there’s no way around it), he will be able to get back where he was faster than by going all the way through from the first scene.
Here’s a drawing to help you understand
gYLF6.jpg

- And of course a storyline:
The game starts in a huge and magnificent castle, currently under siege by an enemy. As a knight of the kingdom, we have to help the marshal defend the castle. After we defeat a first wave of enemies, the marshal tells us this will be a lengthy siege, and the king orders us to leave and ask our allies of old to help us defeat the besiegers. We then leave by a hidden tunnel, at the end of which we find ourselves behind enemy lines, and the adventure starts. We can start by going to our first destination, whether it’s an allied country or the closest tavern, or why not even take a secondary quest. As in any RPG, freedom is given to the player to do what he wants.

Right now, I would like some help from
-coders for some scripts
- 3D anims and maybe if possible of a 3D modeller.

My main problem towards that is my limited skills in English (a friend from the French community actually translated this whole text), but I have already worked with English speaking modders and it worked out pretty good.

Thanks for the support, I’ll keep you posted whenever I make some new progress!

Scene, scene, scene, scene, scene, scene, scene!
Only the world map is called a map, for God's sake, everything else is a scene.

Good luck with your ideas, I'd be quite interested if you actually pull it off.

Also you should post your idea on the pioneers guild.
You'll have a bigger chance to find a good scener team there

Wish you best luck  :grin:

Lumos said:
Scene, scene, scene, scene, scene, scene, scene!
Only the world map is called a map, for God's sake, everything else is a scene.

Good luck with your ideas, I'd be quite interested if you actually pull it off.

Yes yes yes yes, a scene i'm sorry Lumos    :mrgreen:
thank you, i want this "game" too ,i hope to finish him.

@Sayd Ûthman & SheriffTheRevenger
I am the scener  :wink:
i have already made 200 or 300 scenes for my latest mod no problem.

Remeber, i just need a second coder and a 3D modeler/ anims.
please

I will stop here because my english is verry ...hmmm  :mrgreen:

Contact me by pm (i can work in english) i post some screens when i have it.

thanks

You should also take into consideration how the player is going to select his weaponry and armor, and how it carries over from scene to scene. Ammo is going to reset every time the scene changes, too.

Bad Idea said:
You should also take into consideration how the player is going to select his weaponry and armor, and how it carries over from scene to scene. Ammo is going to reset every time the scene changes, too.

Yes it's true  :neutral:
for the arrows/axes/spells i can make a different weapons system, if you dont have ammo You have no it in the following scene.

I have a long list of "problemes", but it's possible just very long...
In first time i make the brf resources and textures, the base of a new world  :mrgreen:

I have the storyline, 80% of all scripts...

i hope to receive your help when i post the fisrt screens (coders,anims,3D)

note: and i need help for the translation in english ! i cant make this myself for sure  :mrgreen:

FantasyWarrior said:

Our upcoming mod is the first to implement that:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,273374.15.html

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQxzVjIBso

CTCCoco said:
FantasyWarrior said:

Wow, that's a game changer :grin:

Still needs a few tweaks and finishings (some hour change flickering and a bit too brutal light change every now and then) but it's awesome. Congrats!

Did you test it for single-player also? I guess it's a bit more complicated as you have to correlate it with the rest of the game (time and actions) and stuff. Anyway, great work!

Lumos said:
I don't want to denigrate CTCCoco's work, but this is actually piss easy to do, especially for MP.
Just sayin'.

Well, technically I know what he did there, but actually having the time to do it, find all the operators, putting it together AND make it work properly... is an entirely different thing. God, I wish I still was in collage for this  :mrgreen:

Lumos said:
I don't want to denigrate CTCCoco's work, but this is actually piss easy to do, especially for MP.
Just sayin'.

Well, it was done by Gotha not me, took some days of work. Also, the real time system where you can set wathever timezone from the website, it's not as easy as you think.

Read about the mod and tell me if it's easy, if so do it.

BTW, that system it's not only operations work, just try to do it and you'll see.

Dawiduh said:
CTCCoco said:
FantasyWarrior said:

Wow, that's a game changer :grin:

Still needs a few tweaks and finishings (some hour change flickering and a bit too brutal light change every now and then) but it's awesome. Congrats!

Did you test it for single-player also? I guess it's a bit more complicated as you have to correlate it with the rest of the game (time and actions) and stuff. Anyway, great work!

No, didn't tested with single-player, but works probably.

That's cool, but the shadows and the lighting angles aren't changing during most of that, and a bunch of odd things are happening at the transitions.

You aren't, perchance, just swapping skyboxes really fast, right? 

Because that would be pretty crazy, in terms of memory. 

The right way to get this done is with shaders, manipulating the core values for the sun vector, color, etc.

Back
Top Bottom