SP - General Major Battles of 200 warriors or more should have a small opening cinematic

Users who are viewing this thread

wherearewee

Recruit
Even the biggest, most game changing battles seem so unceremonious.

It would be cool if the game could recognize a major conflict was about to go down, and give us a small cinematic panning over our starting armies and focusing on all the Lords and Clan leaders involved. Just to kind of build some hype and drama over the big battle.

At first I balked, but if it'd be a flying shot that shows basic layout of terrain that could be nice.

On the other hand, if you spend time in combat in given area, that gives you a stronger start in combat. And the surprise of running into an enemy type makes for some fun as well.

Toggable off, but could be fun. Question is, where do you place the toggle button - with time many would probably want to disable it, but as you said, could be nice to ie turn it back on when you're about to storm your favourite town/castle.

At first I balked, but if it'd be a flying shot that shows basic layout of terrain that could be nice.

On the other hand, if you spend time in combat in given area, that gives you a stronger start in combat. And the surprise of running into an enemy type makes for some fun as well.

Toggable off, but could be fun. Question is, where do you place the toggle button - with time many would probably want to disable it, but as you said, could be nice to ie turn it back on when you're about to storm your favourite town/castle.
It would probably work best as a scene that you can just hit space bar or something to skip if you dont want to see it. An options setting would be nice for those who don't want to have to press that extra button before battles.

I would imagine it would open on the enemy lord and his/her retinue, linger a few seconds, then cut to the Lord that's leading the allied army (or your character if you're leading) and then a quick pan over the first wave of troops heading into combat.

For sieges it would be the same for the assaulting army, but the defenders of the castle would be shown on the walls, manning siege weapons and bracing at the gates and in the towers. The commander of the defense would be shown on the wall observing the gathered enemy.

I think this could work well with some tweaks - a minimum number of participants on both sides would solve the 300v10 issue, but I think something like this would be better suited if there were at least 500 men on each side. That would reserve this kind of 'momentous' battle scenario for the big army vs army clashes that could end up deciding a campaign.

this would be better suited if there were at least 500 men on each side. That would reserve this kind of 'momentous' battle scenario for the big army vs army clashes that could end up deciding a campaign.

Maybe if it triggered when unit-limit kicks in, and shows entire opposing armies (including the reinforcements that'll come in later).

I think it would work great for hyping you up for a great, epic battle, instead of being something to help you get an upper hand in tactics. It would need to be executed properly, though, not to make it look like boring.

I agree with Beau Vine, if it can be made a togglable function then I wouldn't mind it, but I know I would grow tired of it pretty quick. Especially if you're a 300 party strong vs 10 looters xD
Yeah the concept would be that the cinematic only triggers for big battles, not skirmishes and bandit slaughter. Maybe any battle that involves 200 or more for each side.

would ruin the scouting you need to do before setting up your army properly or the element of surprise even if the idea seems cool. The alt button to see where enemies is and what they are should also be removed in game or tweaked to fog of war

Last edited:
Total War did that on same of its titles with mix results. It is the sort of thingy that it is cool at first, but it can get boring pretty fast as well if it gets repetitive.

Having a few buttons to execute cool animations like [shield bashing] or [cheers] or [raise the flags] would be enough for RPing. You can just move ahead of your army and play-pretend you are doing a big speech.

I could see this being possible with a rotating view of the map showing the armies on both sides and by the end of the cutscene it rotates into your 3rd or 1st person view. Though there would need to be a way of skipping or toggling this option.

Total War did that on same of its titles with mix results. It is the sort of thingy that it is cool at first, but it can get boring pretty fast as well if it gets repetitive.

Having a few buttons to execute cool animations like [shield bashing] or [cheers] or [raise the flags] would be enough for RPing. You can just move ahead of your army and play-pretend you are doing a big speech.
Yeah i was thinking about this. It probably would get old fast. Then I thought, what if the cinematic was kind of like how Total War Warhammer does it's ambush cinematics? It could just show you and the commanding lord and the allied lords arriving at the field, backed by a column of their troops, who begin dispersing throughout the field into ranks, preparing for battle.

Idk maybe the idea is actually a bust

I like the idea of a cinematic panning across my own army. I don’t want to see the enemy because I don’t know exactly where they are or the terrain and troop.

Battles you lead beyond a certain threshold, 300+ troop or 4+ allied parties, could give a speech option following that panning cinematic. Using charm, leadership, tactics and rogue to boost troop morale before battle and increase relation with allied lords. Every success troops cheer, critical success they are in a frenzy.

Must be a toggle in gameplay for on/off tho.

I like the idea of a cinematic panning across my own army. I don’t want to see the enemy because I don’t know exactly where they are or the terrain and troop.

Battles you lead beyond a certain threshold, 300+ troop or 4+ allied parties, could give a speech option following that panning cinematic. Using charm, leadership, tactics and rogue to boost troop morale before battle and increase relation with allied lords. Every success troops cheer, critical success they are in a frenzy.

Must be a toggle in gameplay for on/off tho.

Now i like this idea to bring in charisma and leadership skill in to certain checks before battle to get buffs or de buffs if you want to hold a speech that is :smile:

Back
Top Bottom