Main quest epilogue

Users who are viewing this thread

Note: This post contains spoilers. Don't continue if you're not okay with that. Also, yes, I understand this is an early access release and most likely most comparable sentiments.

In the most recent patch notes (e1.1.0), the following is noted:
  • Prevented the main storyline epilogue pop-up from reappearing every time the game was loaded
Excuse me, what main storyline epilogue?!? Yesterday, after an embarrassing amount of time (rivaling that of, say, Skyrim et al), I completed the main storyline. There was no epilogue.

The only thing that happened when I successfully seized the final settlement was that an all-too-brief pop-up relayed that a quest had been completed. That's it. I chose to eliminate the empire (whittle it down to less than 4 imperial "settlements") - That is, after figuring out what an imperial settlement is (it's just the Northern, Southern or Western Empire). It was definitely a let down.

Nothing happened within the game between my talking to the gentlemen who gave me the quest and me completing it. There were no further instructions - Certainly not a cinematic or even a dialog box or request to go see the quest giver again. Let's not forget about the brother. Despite what he says at the beginning of the game, he just disappears, along with the children he mentions, never to be seen again (you can look him up in the encyclopedia, but you can't actually visit him - At least I couldn't - I tried. It was my understanding that after you reclaimed your clan that he would seek you out).

So, seeing this note made my eyebrows raise. Did my game bug out? Did I miss story that was supposed to occur throughout my gameplay experience? As mentioned above, there was nothing after the main quest was given until I completed it, which was the majority of the time I spent playing.

Before I go, allow me to point out that I adore the game, even in it's present state. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't have continued playing. It's good as is, but the promise of what it could be is akin to the holy grail.

I think they mean the small pop-up saying "Victory" after you complete the quest. I don't think there is anything more to it. I talked to the quest giver after uniting the empire and all she said was "You aren't supposed to see this" or something like that.

I think it may be a little bit of a rough placeholder to give the alpha players an understanding of the main quest line structure. I suspect that pop up will at least be replaced with something a little more verbose, but perhaps no more than that. I do like a longer and richer main storyline and would totally be into it, but I'm not sure that's Mount and Blades' schtick. Hopefully?

I think it may be a little bit of a rough placeholder to give the alpha players an understanding of the main quest line structure. I suspect that pop up will at least be replaced with something a little more verbose, but perhaps no more than that. I do like a longer and richer main storyline and would totally be into it, but I'm not sure that's Mount and Blades' schtick. Hopefully?

With what is present ATM, it appears the framework and ability to create rich stories is already present. You do get dialogs and even a voice over in the opening. I hope they pepper the entire play time with these - both for the story itself and as flavor... and then create endgame emergent content.

On a related note, it'd also be nice if the devs included scenarios and other content you could play (scripted, procedurally generated and somewhere in between) that had definitive victory goals in order to complete them. These could even potentially be done in conjunction with the main quest(s), as your character(s) could gain experience from them. Perhaps these could also be used as "events" within the main game. Just thoughts. The possibilities are nigh endless.

Back
Top Bottom