Main mission: Dun taruo

Users who are viewing this thread

Da_mambo

Recruit
Okay so im stuck in mission where i need to capture settlement dun taruo and hold it thirty days.
So theres no problem taking it (i have 200 troops army) but really holding it thirty days?!

So im far from my kingdom and i cant recruit any new units around there (im pagan, everybody hates me) and if i leave to recruit new units someone will capture the fort. 
What am i supposed to do because i get attacked all the time and holding it alone thirty days with less than 200 men is just insane.

And most of my units are those tough viking guys.

Well yeah that could work if just can get their generals caught. 

But i also use those Norweigan Viking bandits but if you like to use stamina on as i do then they get tired pretty fast and then they do way less damage.

By the way is anyone else getting reinforcements in land battles? I just get in the beginning and so do the enemy but after that i don't is this supposed to be?

I chose the Saxon side, so I had no problem recruiting units. I also had a ship not far away on the coast so that I could sail to allied city to resupply food and units. I had 200 strong army holding a bridge, while the enemy sent 1000 men on the 3rd day. Another army of 200, then 300, 200 and finally a force of 1000 more men, but we brave 200 manage to hold the fort for 30 days. It was epic. :grin:<3 franks, old captain, svear, veterans, my medic, etc. <3 Each frankish horseman killed about 50 of theirs.

Here are a couple of pictures: http://imgur.com/gcsgyvo,fYWdgpy,LDLybAN,RxRSRYA,TV2pa55

On the last fight, the whole saxon army arrived to the settlement and block any escape from the Welsh. I doubt they would've come had I owned the fort, and not an influential lord. In the end I spent about 80 000 gold on troops and resources, so buckle up.

I got lucky and Northumbria made peace shortly after I took it. I also let another lord get it, so they would garrison it for me.

I don't know if you could possibly make the peace happen by getting a mission from your wife, a guild master or something of the like.

Odenar said:
I got lucky and Northumbria made peace shortly after I took it. I also let another lord get it, so they would garrison it for me.

I don't know if you could possibly make the peace happen by getting a mission from your wife, a guild master or something of the like.

So you were a mercenary. I tried this but Northumbira never gave the fortress to anyone during the 30 days. It's a hit or miss.

Kjertesvein said:
I chose the Saxon side, so I had no problem recruiting units. I also had a ship not far away on the coast so that I could sail to allied city to resupply food and units. I had 200 strong army holding a bridge, while the enemy sent 1000 men on the 3rd day. Another army of 200, then 300, 200 and finally a force of 1000 more men, but we brave 200 manage to hold the fort for 30 days. It was epic. :grin:<3 franks, old captain, svear, veterans, my medic, etc. <3 Each frankish horseman killed about 50 of theirs.

Here are a couple of pictures: http://imgur.com/gcsgyvo,fYWdgpy,LDLybAN,RxRSRYA,TV2pa55

On the last fight, the whole saxon army arrived to the settlement and block any escape from the Welsh. I doubt they would've come had I owned the fort, and not an influential lord. In the end I spent about 80 000 gold on troops and resources, so buckle up.

This is a good plan. The downside is you need to have enough money to buy ships to allow the transport.

The one other thing is to have your refuge near the fortress so you don't even have to sail to gather reinforcement because your refuge will be within walking distance.

Seriously now im just so pissed off...

I cant get any of kingdom albas generals captured and when i defeat them it takes like four days and they have another five hundred guys attacking me.
The kingdom of north what ever is just horrible and they are losing the damn war and the lord of the dun taruo won't give no troops at all to the garrison and i just can't get enough defenders in there.

I'm so annoyed that i can't move on the mission because of this mission.

I know, I'm in the same boat.  The lords of Northumbria are getting their asses whooped by southern kingdoms so they're no help.  This mission is insanely difficult, I don't know what I'm going to do.

I'm a bit curious about what it's like from the Northumbrian experience. Does the combined enemy exceed 3000 men? What are the campaign settings you have (if I remember correct, it has to to with a lords ability to recruit new men for his army, higher difficulty means faster conscription. I've heard in from The Reformist. ) What does the fort in the north look like?
For one thing I know that when playing the Saxon way was that I was tasked to capture a settlement behind enemy lines, surrounded by enemy Welsh factions. 90% of all factions decleared war on the Saxons, so most of my industries were confiscated, a long with my income. One of my two villages were constantly looted. It was really hard and logistics had to be planned a long time ahead. I never would've guested I'd needed so much money to hold a 200 man army, mostly heavy unit well fed, resupplied and happy for so long. I think I had 1 village and 1 industry running while I burned away 80 000 gold.
The first thing that strikes me as a harder difficulty, if you play for the Danish, is that you'd have far less villages to recruit heavy units from than I had at my disposal in the south. I had about 3 cities I could sail to within a days length away. These cities were crucial in resupplying me with food variety and heavy mercenary troops.

The way to complete the quest if you join the kingdom of Northumbrya is to tell the king and Jarl Sicoc the Elder that they should take the fortress through the "May I suggest a course of action" button. Then, follow them up and quickly besiege and take the fort through the storming option so it takes up no time in the game. Then tell both of these generals to flee to the fort. The kingdom of Alban will send their main force at you in about one day, but you should be able to hold them off with the numbers you now have in the fort (hopefully you will capture a few when you beat their army). After this, just continue to tell the generals to flee to the fort every couple of days and while they are holding it you can go around and bring in as many generals as you can from around the kingdom just for numbers (you need to have a relation of 0 or more for them to listen). After that you should be fine and if you are worried about money just garrison your whole army in the castle as you will most probably be given it by the king.

I'm in roughly the same boat but things have not gone well for the NorthUmbrians.  I wasn't really set up (racing through quests) to take the castle so while I started building up an army they preceded to get run over by Gwennyd who had been left relatively alone by the Irish and Saxons.  Normally Gwennyd is on its heals but in this play through they're a force.  They've bulldozed all the way through and taken Jarvik and Middlesburh while Alt Clut and Alban attacked from the north.

We're down to just Bebbanburh and all the lords look like level 7 noobs (20 soldiers here, 13 there) getting drunk in Bebbanburh waiting for the hammer to fall.  I don't have a lot of hope saving them but going to try.  Not sure what happens to the quest line if they do, I may just carry on as if it were a sandbox game and rebuild.

Edit:

After many hours (month or so in game) we've managed to secure peace with Alt Clut while Gwennyd went to war with Mierce which distracted them enough to retake Middlesburh.  We also retook a fort from Alba.  I've crushed a few Alban armies and been made Marshall.  I'm currently leaving my main force (300+) up near Dun Turao in my refuge and taking a reactionary force (60+) down to Bebbanburh to lead our armies on small raids.  So far we've crushed a Gwennyd army and run off a larger force by splitting them up.  We're pretty rag tag yet, lots of 50+ armies so it's hard to get them to engage.  I'm about to send our armies home so they can rest up, run up to Dun Turao, either crush an army if i can find it or raid a village then return with a slightly larger force and retake a castle.  I'll lobby for the king to take it since he's currently without a fief so we can get two big armies in addition to mine.  Then they should be able to hold while I return to Dun Turao.

Really enjoying the aspect of having to take a castle for strategic quest line reasons rather than strategic game play reasons.  I'd never ever take Dun Turao as a player in this situation but I see the point from a quest line perspective.  It adds complexity to what would normally be the early stages of steam rolling time.

Da_mambo said:
So im far from my kingdom and i cant recruit any new units around there (im pagan, everybody hates me)
Laithlind is pagan you know?(and just one day away from your target) :fruity:
This quest is not that hard folks,i've done it 3 times by now. Everyday someone starts a new post about this part of the quest, there're thousands of tips about it but i will repeat the one i think is the most important: WAIT UNTIL THE FACTION THAT HOLDS THE SETTLEMENT YOU MUST CAPTURE BE AT WAR WITH AT LEAST 2 FACTIONS...that will make your life easier, forget about the rest of the world and stack troops in a nearby refuge and remember that a great number of squish peasants is better than a little contingent of hardened troops because the AI consider numbers when they plan to retake the settlement.

TeaKae said:
another lord from my kingdom took the fort, so does that still count, will the quest be successful after 30 days?????

just to let everyone here know it does count if another lord took the fort, as long as the enemy dont hold it the 30 days will pass and the quest will be finished!

Back
Top Bottom