In Progress Scene Editor main map snow flowmap bugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
e1.7.0.
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Modded
Previously, overriding main_map_snow_flowmap crashed custom campaign maps. This is no longer the case if the custom flowmap is imported from the Resource Browser into "<YourModuleName>\Assets\world_map" with "Do not compress" , "Do not generate mipmaps" and "Don't Degrade" boxes checked.
uI4yv.jpg
However, while the snow flowmap appears to correctly control snow appearing on settlement map icons and the change of flora trees to their snow/winter/alternate variations it isn't painting snow on my custom terrain, leaving the campaign ground out of sync.
ECVph.jpg
Something must be missing or bugged, as snow works perfectly well in Calradia. The only snow visible on my campaign map is snow permanently painted in my diffuse vista texture.
More surprising, a lot of settlements south of the moving snowline (as seen in flora) have no snow on their campaign map icons (correct per flowmap) but on entering the settlement mission scene there is snow where it shouldn't be per the custom flowmap.
-sdgm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We were not able to reproduce this. Could you send us the campaign map files and the flowmap file so that we can take a look?
You can send your files to us via the ticketing system on the website. To send us a ticket, please visit the www.taleworlds.com site and login to your forum account from the top right. Click to "My Account" and then click to "My Open Tickets". You can create a ticket there and include the save file and as well as the forum link of this thread. You can find more info about how to upload files to us with the new ticketing system here. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

Furthermore, we found that while importing an overriden snow flowmap texture into the editor does not cause an immediate crash anymore and appears to work -> at least on entities, but not on terrain, there must be some kind of memory leak because after about 30-35 (varies based on vRAM size) open/close of a screen (so that mapstate gets popped and the pushed again), the game crashes with a memory access violation. We traced it back to snow flowmap. The crazy thing is, the same thing doesnt happen when running the game with the editor executable.

@NPC99 @hunharibo @Lemmy1916 could you please try drawing snow flowmaps with more pronounced strokes rather than mild gradients, your colour differences might be too subtle. This might be preventing the snow flowmap from correctly generating. Try using more pronounced/strong colours and please come back to us.

@NPC99 @hunharibo @Lemmy1916 could you please try drawing snow flowmaps with more pronounced strokes rather than mild gradients, your colour differences might be too subtle. This might be preventing the snow flowmap from correctly generating. Try using more pronounced/strong colours and please come back to us.
How exactly does that create snow in village scenes well below the snowline? Equally, AFAIK the stronger the colours the more permanent/perpetual the snow, which is not what is desired.

The texture we tried was completely blue. Blue channel was entirely white, green and red channels were completely black. The goal was to prevent snow appearing entirely. It is my understanding that the blue channel serves as a mask, green is ignored and red channel is a gradient for seasonal "growth" of snow.
This worked - on the surface / at first glance. Still causes crashes on the long run.
It is really easy to replicate this problem. Make a module that has the snow flowmap texture overriden. Nothing else. Load Calradia -> it will crash just the same as any custom world map.
Remark: it only happens when running with the game executable (the client.exe), not when running with the editor executable. I have no idea what the difference is between the two.

Even for as long as it works (read: until it crashes), the snowmap only takes effect on entities and flora, NOT on terrain materials when trying this on custom world maps.

First I tried a 100% red channel (255 rgb red value) and substituted a plain_black vista texture to highlight any snow, without getting any on the terrain (only on flora and map icons as previously described):
oGLl-.jpg
Despite being 100% red = permanent snow, I still got some villages without snow in their mission scenes:
Wp4sv.jpg
Next to prove it wasn't a problem with faint snow, I created a chequer board red channel mask of 0% and 100% snow:
QgWLu.jpg
While the chequer board can be seen in the flora, it can't be seen on the ground even as a faint/feeble colouration:
_owzv.jpg
I then ran sandbox game again from the non-editor executable to confirm that this produced exactly the same results as the editor executable.
Finally, I saved my modded_main_map as Main_map (even though that destroys material maps) and ran sandbox with that, without getting any chequer board pattern of snow on the black vista texture.
Any of these tests could easily have been performed by your QA team with the mod files I submitted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom