OSP 3D Art MageLord Weapon Pack - updated march 14, 2006

Users who are viewing this thread

TheMageLord

The Handyman Can
Knight at Arms
I finally decided to make my own sword. For kicks, giggles, and of course the inevitable fame and fortune. Ok, maybe no fame and fortune, but the kicks and giggles are nice.

Took me about three and a half hours, most of which was just fooling around with the interface, glancing through a few tutorials, and having my way with various shapes. Ended up picking a cylinder for my base shape, then just stretched and edited it as I liked. It came out a whole lot better than I expected, and after I got it extended to a good length and fiddled with it enough to figure out what general shape I wanted it to be in, I did a google and found me some images of swords for sale for inspiration, and of course shameless texture stealing. Actually wound up taking the blade from one sword, the handle from another, and the middle section is a small cutout of a gold bar, heh heh. All done in crappy old paint, but it works fair enough for just cut&paste... next on my list is getting a better program for texturing, but for now I’m happy with paint.

And now that I’m finished with it, I figured I would show it off a bit, get some constructive (or not so constructive) criticism, and just generally brag about my great achievement. :lol:

Update: Figured I would go ahead and update this post so that the first one included everything. I removed the previous pics and im putting these in place of them. I uploaded it to the repository, and here are the new images I took. Disregard the part on the repository about first images being old, these are the new ones :razz:
Long version ingame

Medium version ingame

Short version ingame

The urukhai scimitar (same image that was below, just moved it up here)

And a comparison of all of them together.

And heres the little how-to post that was on page two, went ahead and moved it here.

First you need a module to put it into. You could put it into native if you wanted, or pretty much any mod. You put the three brfs in your module's resource folder, and the dds in your module's texture folder. Then open up module_info.txt, which is in your module's main directory (ie: native, or whatever). In module_info.txt you simply need to make it look at the brfs to get it to load them, and also make it read your textures. So first you change scan_module_textures = 0 to scan_module_textures = 1. That makes it read the dds. Then you need to insert three lines to read each of the brfs,
load_module_resource = TMLtexture
load_module_resource = TMLmaterial
load_module_resource = TMLmesh
Make sure you put them in that order. Some people say to put each of them seperated in a bunch of diff places in the file, but Ive never had any trouble just putting them down by the end right after load_resource = churches. But the order does matter, since it has to read the texture before the material, and the material before the mesh.

After thats done all you need to do is create an item to apply the texture to. For that the unofficial editor makes it a whole lot easier. Just open your module with it, go to the items section (View -> Items), then you can either add a blank item and fill in all the stats, or just copy an existing one. For instance I can go to nomad sabre, highlight it, click edit->copy then edit->add copied. Type in whatever name you want for the item. It will have the same stats as the nomad sabre, which I'll leave up to you to be able to change (its simple with the editor, just look around whats there). To get it to use one of the meshs go to the "Meshes and Modifiers" tab, highlight the current mesh (shashqa in the case of nomad sabre), then click the minus sign to delete it. Then click the plus sign, scroll way down to the bottom, select one of the meshes for it, click ok, and there you go. All the new ones will be right at the bottom if you put it all at the end of your module_info.txt file, since it loads them last.

As long as the "merchandise" check mark stays checked and it has at least some number in "Abundance", it will spawn at merchants. It wont magically pop into your savegames until the merchants refresh though. Since its on the end of the item list it will always appear at the top of the merchants.

Update 2: Added Chu-ko-nu and the hungarian axe to the upload on repository. Renamed the package to weapon pack since its got a pretty decent variety now, and I'll be adding more to it when I get some more items made. Wont make another update till I have a good many more items made, so this is the last one for at least a few days. The screenshots for these items are on page 3 and page 4. Yes, im too lazy to move them this time.

I guess I should also note that these are free to use in any mod as long as im at least obscurely mentioned in the credits as having made them.(thats kinda obvious since their on the repository, but I figured I'd say it anyway). 

TheMageLord said:
[...]All done in crappy old paint, but it works fair enough for just cut&paste... next on my list is getting a better program for texturing, but for now I’m happy with paint.
Try GIMP - opensource/free pretty powerful.

TheMageLord said:
So, what do you think?
Looks nice. Better than I can do :grin:

DE

Thanks for the replies, and the compliments.

Heres another one of the bloody sword after killing a bunch of river pirates on foot heh heh.

Ok, maybe the 30 dex and 108 sword speed was a little over the top for river pirate slaying, but it sure was fun to hack em all apart swinging like a maniac.

So...are you going to release that so that less talented individuals might share your joy?

-Grocat the Appalachian Amnesty Alligator

By the way. Is there any chance you might be interested in contributing to a Star Wars Mod?

Sure, I'd be fine with releasing it. I would be fine with just releasing an obj file, or I could put up my dds and brfs so you would have the texture too. If I did I would need to clean up the dds and the brfs though, I just chunked them all in a few big files that includes all kinds of junk for the screwed up custom version of native that ive been fooling around with heh. I might go ahead and make some more weapons. Was thinking of doing a longer and shorter version of this sword, and maybe something else.

Where would I need to upload them to? Should I apply for upload access on the repository? :grin:

As for the star wars mod, I could try, but I wouldnt really know where to start on making a light sabre or anything like that heh. As I said this is my very first attempt at making anything, so who knows what I'll make next.

nice, i made a samurai sword myself, and i like it aswell. as well as some other weapons

- the warsword
- chinese halberd
- a winchester rifle
- a tetsubo

[/img]

I went ahead and uploaded it on the repository, thanks to Janus giving me access. (Three cheers for Janus and his lovely site)

Linky to the file

Its in zip format, and has all the required files.

I edited it a bit from the above screenshots. Cleaned it up a teeny bit, added a couply polygons to make it look better, and then added an emerald to the pommel for style. I left the non-emerald in for those who dont want it though.

Heres a shot of the emerald in wings. Its still detailed ingame, but a bit smaller so not quite as noticeable. I still like it though.

Have fun with it Grocat. And anyone else who might want it. :smile:

It looks very nice, but it looks a bit too long to really be classified as a katana. I might just not be seeing it in perspective, but it looks more like a Dai-Katana to me.

At any rate, much better than I could do. I tried out Wings a while ago...barely made it through a tutorial that showed me how to make a table. >.>

Not even almost to the point where I could do something like that from scratch. Photoshop and Wings aren't even almost the same...learned that the hard way.

On a similar note, if anyone knows a good place to self-teach Wings, I'd love to be pointed to it...I'm pretty interested in familiarizing myself with it.

Well, its about same length as the sword or arming sword in the game. I dont really know what length katanas are supposed to be heh heh.

As for the longer version that I included in the file (but didnt put a screenshot of), its a good deal longer. Its the size of the bastard sword and the two handed swords (their actually the same length, even though different reach settings are set for them, go figure). Handle is also lengthened on it.

As for self teaching wings, I glanced at a couple tutorials around on this site, but I didnt really get a whole lot from them (mainly because I didnt really read them, but thats my fault hehe). I did figure out the UV mapping thing by doing that barrel tutorial that someone posted a link to though. I never even looked at the wings manual... Probably would have saved me some time, but wings isnt THAT difficult once you figure out the basic setup. Some things still elude me though, so I might wind up checking out the manual now, haha.

I never realised making 3d objects could be so fun. For me, its an undiscovered artistic medium, especially handy since I no longer have access to my pottery wheel or kiln :smile:

This is addictive. Really, it is.

Heres my newest creation - an Uruk scimitar like the ones in the movies. Noticed that they didnt want them in lotr mod so figured I would make one, just to spite them. Ok, maybe not to spite them, but I had fun making it.

Only two screenies for this one, since its 1:30 am here and im too lazy and/or tired to post more.

First a view from Wings.

And a view from in game, so you can actually figure out how big it is.
Moved image to first post
Its approximately the same length as the scimitar and the arming sword.

Not going to upload this one for now, unless someone really wants it :grin:

I figure I'll make a ridiculously assorted weapon pack with items from tons of different movies, cultures, etc. that dont even fit together in any sense other than me being the author. Its part of my six step scheme to take over the world, I just havent figured out how to get from step 4:confuse people with varying items to step 6: rule the world. I'll figure it out sooner or later, im sure...

-edit- this one took me about 30 minutes. Getting better at it :smile: It only has 140 polygons too.

I dont really know what length katanas are supposed to be heh heh.

This isn't my area of interest(so take my advice with a grain of salt) but I believe the prototypical katana would be about 38-40 inches long, with about 10-14 inches of that being the handle(tsuka). It looks to me like you don't have enough curvature(sori) in the blade, even if you are shooting for a later period blade.

A few examples can be found at http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/sugata/shape.htm

Well, converting inches to the M&B "reach" might be difficult, so I still wouldnt know how long to make it in proportion to the other weapons :smile:

Im happy with the size of it myself, since I can make it close to the arming sword's reach and be about right for the size of it. I might make it a bit more curved, it wouldnt be hard hehe.

hmm I dont know... with a handle that big and a blade that short it might look kinda funny. Plus I kinda wanted it to be a decent mounted weapon, so you can slash on the side without actually running into the enemy your trying to hit.

Realism be damned, me want shiny sword to slash enemys from horseback! :twisted:

TheMageLord said:
hmm I dont know... with a handle that big and a blade that short it might look kinda funny. Plus I kinda wanted it to be a decent mounted weapon, so you can slash on the side without actually running into the enemy your trying to hit.

Realism be damned, me want shiny sword to slash enemys from horseback! :twisted:
Just a suggestion, but maybe you should rename it then?

Back
Top Bottom