Documentation MaBLED - Mount & Blade Language and Engine Documentation

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi Earendil!
Can I ask for the Warband Modding Discord Link?
Thank you for Updating the Modding Guide for Us Newcomers.
(Knew about the game in 2012 play it for a bit in 2018. Only got back into it in late 2020 Found out about the Warband Mods thanks to some Youtube Videos From The Reformist TM Mod Features and Koifish Warband Experience. Been looking for an updated guide aside from the Modding Guide from 2012)

Hope you finish the Guide Soon Buddy!

Last edited:
New update for the Modding Guide:
  • The following (sub-)chapters have been finished:
    'Can-fail (cf_x) Scripts'
    'Optimal Music File Format'
    'Optimal Sound File Format'
    'Skin/Gender/Race-based Voice Entries'
    'Sound Flags'
    'Animation Sounds'
    'Variations for Animations'
    'Ragdolls'
    'Module Map Icons'
    'Creating a New Party Template'
  • Added introduction to chapter 'Module Sounds'
  • Added passage at 'Other Tidbits'
  • More detailed description at itp_covers_legs, cheers to dstn and Somebody!
  • Added remark to shoot_speed and some other little work at item stats descriptions.
  • Added description to arf_make_custom_sounds.
  • Improved module.ini descriptions of enable_quick_battles, show_multiplayer_gold, disable_attack_while_jumping and can_reload_while_moving
  • Integrated some infobit at 'Remarkable Notes'
  • Added notes about Decompilers
  • Little work at chapter 'Module Mission Templates'
  • Little corrections and additions
Get the new version at the usual place:

A little suggestion, maybe add an info about 'restore module data' to the guide. Might help to save some modders' time that didn't know about it by removing the need to restart the game.

From what I just tried, when working on triggers in mission templates, the changes is applied instantly (doesn't even need to leave the mission). I think it also works with things like animations, scripts, or possibly brf resources, but need to test it out first.

I have planned already to write some passage about this, at the moment you can find at chapter 9 already some links for it (although the old key combo for it is not working anymore). I only haven't found the time yet to formulate it out properly. At the moment most of my time is spent on the html conversion of the modding guide for better usage.

As a spoiler, at some point these key combos here might also prove useful for you at some point :wink:
  • Shift+Ctrl+M -> Animation Data restor
  • Shift+Ctrl+V -> Menu Variables are loaded, language files are loaded, skyboxes are load
  • Ctrl+F -> Effect file recompiled

Last edited:
New update at the Modding Guide:
The pdf Modding Guide pdf has been reworked into multiple html documents, all together called MaBLED (Mount & Blade Language and Engine Documentation). It should give you a quicker and better overview above the various topics and make the access easier.
It can be downloaded directly from the GitLab, you can unzip it at any place you like, even within a folder in your mod. Start it with a simple click on MaBLED.html which opens the offline-documents at your webbrowser.

Special credit goes to Swyter for helping me out at some html problems!

Preview of start page:
Screenshot_2022-08-21_at_15-44-16_MaBLED.png

Download at the GitLab:

Review at GitLab:

For those who prefer the PDF version, it will still remain available at moddb but won't be updated anymore:

Please report any errors and misstakes which might have happened while porting the guide. Suggestions are also always welcome :grin:

Also, I think it would be great if the manual was available online, hosted on a website. GitHub has an option to store HTML documents like on a website (with a custom URL), so it may be a perfect option.
Swyter already suggested the same, GitLab has a similar function
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/pages/index.html
I looked a bit into it but haven't understood it yet fully. I wanted to take a look at it again when I have more time to understand what all is needed for it to work.

New update at the Modding Guide MaBLED:
  • BRF Resource Management: Updated introduction with more background informations; little corrections
  • Module Syntax and Usage: Finished "Fixed Point Values/Numbers"; little additions and corrections
  • module.ini: Updated descriptions at module_name, use_crossbow_as_firearm and disable_disband_on_terrain_type; updated general description of map_trees; added new description for operation_set_version; little corrections
  • Module Mission Templates: Added info at damage formula; little corrections
  • Module Parties: Added description to pf_default_behavior; little additions and corrections
  • Module Items: Updated descriptions at itp_civilian, itp_crush_through, itp_disable_agent_sounds and itp_extra_penetration; added info at "pierce damage"; finished section "Items as Scene Props"; little additions and corrections
  • Module Troops: Added info at "Proficiencies/Weapon Points", "Creating Face Codes" and "Experience Formulas"; First draft for descriptions at "Troop DNA" and "Equipment Selection of AI Troops"; little additions and corrections
  • Updated credit list
Download at the GitLab:

Review at GitLab:

Please report any errors and misstakes which might have happened while porting the guide. Suggestions are also always welcome :grin:

• BRF Resource Management: Expanded chapter 'OpenBRF Introduction', containing list of features and tools; finished first drafts for the subchapters 'Introduction', 'LODs, Level of Details' and 'Rigging', expanded subchapters 'Multi-meshing' and 'Vertex-animations'; little corrections
  • module.ini: Improved descriptions at extra_penetration_factor_reduction and extra_penetration_factor_soak, based on discussion with Vetrogor
  • Module Scene Props: Started subchapter 'Useable Scene Props', credits to Dalion
  • Module Animations: Added subchapter 'Animation Priority Flags'; added informations at 'Ragdolls'; added descriptions at acf_enforce_all and acf_enforce_lowerbody; little improvements at few other descriptions; little corrections
  • Module Items: Little corrections at table format
  • Module Strings: Little additions at 'Difference between Strings and Quick Strings'
  • In-game Editor: Started description
  • Module Skins/Module Postfx/Module Tableau Materials/Most Common Errors: Added bookmarks
  • Preface: Little additions
  • Updated credit list
Visit the online version:

Download the offline version at the GitLab:

Review at GitLab:

Please report any errors and misstakes which you might encounter. Suggestions are also always welcome

Thank you for the excellent work. There are some errors found in the text (quoting posts and your writing), such as typos and tag pair. Is it better to point it out via private messages?

I'm trying to translate this HTML document into Japanese. In my Japanese version, in order to improve maintainability, I will improve duplicated codes (in the header/footer section, pre/code tags, etc.) by putting into a subroutine (script) or by adding CSS, and will add sample codes like "How to display Hello World!" or "how to create English *.csv files", etc. in the translator's notes.

Thank you for the excellent work. There are some errors found in the text (quoting posts and your writing), such as typos and tag pair. Is it better to point it out via private messages?
You can either write them down here or in a private message, whatever you prefer. And thanks for taking the time to write them down!

I'm trying to translate this HTML document into Japanese. In my Japanese version, in order to improve maintainability, I will improve duplicated codes (in the header/footer section, pre/code tags, etc.) by putting into a subroutine (script) or by adding CSS, and will add sample codes like "How to display Hello World!" or "how to create English *.csv files", etc. in the translator's notes.
Good luck and success with your work! I tried to stay as simple as possible with my html-work, due to the facts that I have no deep knowledge there and that I wanted everyone to be able to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom