[M] Siege mod (beta 1.3 release)

Users who are viewing this thread

There are a few tutorials over in "the forge" on how to get into the map editor and stuff.  After that it's a bit self explanatory.
I put a whole load of getting started stuff and tutorials into the modopedia which is in the unofficial tutorials section of the forge.

Hi, I tried out the latest version of the mod today, and although the server was empty (as so many good servers are, unfortunately) I had a quick roam around. I like the raider faction you have included, especially their equipment, although there are a few issues. One is the top tier sword, I am not so keen on the metal texture of the blade, it seems very white compared to the normal swords. There are two more issues that I have taken screens of:

This helmet (2nd most expensive, not the warlord helmet) has a line around the edge, although it is only noticeable close up:

mb1n.jpg

mb2f.jpg

In Ravenshill (I think) there is a line of targets, and they are clearly floating a foot or so off the ground:

mb12h.jpg

mb13r.jpg

They are the only problems I noticed, but here are some more screens from my exploring. I can't remember the name of this first castle that I explored, but it is by the sea.

Upon entering the castle in search of loot, the raider discovers a small structure: 'Well well, what do we have here? Oh..... its a well'

mb3f.jpg

I must say, I like the location of the flag here, it should make for some desperate defending:

mb4r.jpg

The raider keeps his guard up and his eyes on the walls outside the castle:

mb7t.jpg

Die, cameraman!

mb9t.jpg

Bah, there's noone here to slaughter, back to the ships I go:

mb10s.jpg

haha well I'm glad you enjoyed a nice ride around!
I'll look at the map issues you saw, though I can't do much about those models/textures, they were made by someone else (probably for original m&b) which I included.  Maybe some nice modeller could fix it. (or make me shiny new ones!)
And yeh the server pop baffles me, you make something nice and fresh for people to use and well, they don't use it...
I'm sure the server pop would be fine if a group of friends or a clan would play to get the server pop up and then it snowballs from there.  Problem with siege is that a high pop is required for a decent match and most of those maps were designed for 64 players.
As such people see it's empty and don't join.  Shame really when I see so many people have downloaded it.

I'm trying to get as many people to play as possible on a sunday from 7pm onwards.  But if anyone wanted to arrange another night I'd be up for that.  Not sure if I'd make it tomorrow night, Scotland is experiencing some nice weather for a change so a bbq is in order haha.

I'll try to make it this evening. The set time of 7 pm is with the additional daylight hour included, right? 7 pm GMT+1 then.

I also goofed around the maps for a bit and I like them. I'm not much into LotR stuff, though. But if they work out well in action then guess I don't mind.

I'd really like to see the server active but who can be arsed to sit in there in hope that there will be another soul? Maybe if we had an bot poll option for a few bots, we could do something with a few players and maybe more would show up. That is if the bots are viable at all on the new maps.

Edit: All the people who didn't show up last Sunday, you don't know what you missed. But you can imagine - we had two people on the server. I'm going to be on the server again today. Semi-afk if there's no population, though. The mod has 2 new factions with new items (with weird shield size stats, but nvm that. All the weird things can be worked out after we get to do some human testing, I believe), 9 (nine) new siege maps. It's a mystery to me why it doesn't attract people.

Since editing my own post doesn't actually help the propaganda attempt on topic that's on the second page on the board, I'm taking the liberty to continue this discussion by myself, technically. Sorry.

Get on the server, folks.

make sure and keep up to date with the version.  It's on 1.3.
Sorry I haven't been able to work on it much, busy at work just now.  And couldn't attend last night due to a migraine which I still have today, argh!
Will hopefully get some more maps with the next release and will fix some of the stuff that's been reported.
Though to be honest with such a lack of interest i'm not sure if there is much point.

Also if anyone wants to help, feel free.  Give me a shout, I'll send you the module files and you can use the quick scene chooser to load the maps for fixing or make your own ones.  Map making isn't really that hard and there are a few very simple tutorials in the forge on how to get started.  Just now it's only me working on it.

I'm at a wedding this weekend about 3 hours from where I live but if I'm back by 7 then I'll definately be there. :smile:

Also just so everyone knows, I'll try and get a bug fixed version out for next week 9th June.
I have a 3 day drinking festival starting at 3am on the thursday morning so probably best I release before I get too wasted! haha.
Though it will mean I will be deffo at siegemod sunday on the 13th because I'll be completely incapable of leaving the house!

Thanks to Ivarr for offering to help!

And about the shield sizes, reason they are weird is to reflect cost and to stop the "invisible shield" problem.  Which I think has (mostly) worked.  1 night when we had 12 folk in the server I played as an archer and pin cushioned a lot of different people to test it haha.

'ello! Sorry about missing sunday, i totally forgot! Next sunday? Tomorow is also good for me. Sorry for the double post, as well.

Right sorry guys, not quite ready for another release with the fixes.  Sorry to disappoint but I'd rather release something that is done right instead of in halfs.  I won't be able to work on it again until next week I'd imagine.
Still I hope to see some people on sunday, for real this time lol.  7pm GMT.

I have been working on a siege map and I think it'll be soon ready for some live testing. It's an old castle with some ruined parts reminding the battles of the past. It features a small interior area which connects the back door and the inner ward of the castle. Pretty much all of the map is covered with AI mesh. That's one of the things I'll have to finish. I suspect the map is horribly unbalanced but can't really tell before it's tested with people. Perhaps we can include it in the next version of Siegemod.

Here are some screenshots:

Cool!

Right chaps, i'm being dragged away to some godforsaken VW fest till tomorow evening, i'll get back about 6 apparently, but i could be kept there longer, should be back by 7, but just to apologise, cause i might miss the start, if i do i'll get on the server and this thread asap. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom