[M][new mode] Hold the Flag

Users who are viewing this thread

Highlander

Marquis
Hold the Flag

Link: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1936
Important: To install, copy your native folder, rename it to 'Hold_the_flag' and extract the downloaded zip into it.

'Hold the Flag' is a game mode I remember from CoD2. This mod adds nothing but this new mode.

Rules:
  • Two teams, respawn rules similar to TDM.
  • There's one flag on the map. It is spawned at a random position in the beginning.
  • Both teams have to try to capture it.
  • The team that can keep it for a certain time (90 seconds by default) scores.
  • After a team scores the flag is respawned at a random position on the map.
  • When the flag holder dies, the countdown is stopped and reset to 0.

I wrote this mode today and could only test it on my home pc. If someone decides to host it and has problems with it, tell me.
The mod is currently running on the server of the Illustrious Rocketeer Corps. Hopefully enough people will populate it.

The source is also available: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1937
All changes are market with ###HTF_begin### / ###HTF_end###.

Free to use without having to ask for permission, but give me credit, please.

I tested it with the Illumin Illustrious Rocketeer Corps. There is a small bug with the counter. The time the flag is held is not displayed correctly for clients. It's the only bug we found. Still, it is definatelly playable, but I'll fix it tomorrow.

Great to hear that you host it!

All issues I know should be fixed by now.
The source is available and it should be implementable into any mod within a few minutes.

Haven't played it yet, but pure theoretic question - is it possible to mount horse if you have flag? If yes, it probably quickly become "Run with the flag", because cav are usually first who get to it, and than inf became useless and archers can be easily avoided...

Yesterday four of us, irc clan, played it (2 vs. 2) and yes, cavalry definatelly is most effective in this game mode. Archers are quite effective, too, especially when more people play. A skilled archer can sometimes kill the flag holder and thus the countdown is reset. He can also kill other enemies, which makes sense of course. Melee footmen are quite useless, though.
There is one other thing you must know. The flag holder has a speed disadvantage on horse. That means  other riders will always be faster. So it won't be just running away.

I still think that cav running with flag will ruin this mode, same as it already ruined CTF... Without that, cav would be still very useful at taking flag before enemy, but than he should wait for team support to hold it.

How did cavalry ruin anything? Waaah, I can't be a footslogger quite as efficiently?!

This mod sounds NICE. In fact, I had something similar my last clan-training. I was forced to hold their flag for quite some time. Took (I guess) about half an hour before our own was liberated and I could deliver it. Was very hectic and very fun. (especially considering part of my team went out to recover)

[snidecommentatabove] It was extra fun BECAUSE I was cavalry. [/snidecomment]

with the flag, a courser is slower than a warhorse. And it doesn't ruin it. Infantry are much easier to defend. Ruins turned into infantry defending the flag holder in the ruins while cav try and stop enemies from getting there. At least, until I figured out how to get a horse into the ruins :razz:

Highlander said:
Yup. The idea was originally for 1866, then I decided to make it open source, so that it can be put in any mod.

Oh man, that would be brutal. The flag holder would be shot in the back every time by mounted gunmen, at least if you kept the speed reduction. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom