MP Antiquity Mount&Gladius v2.0 [8/23/10] Poll Added

Which option would make you most eager to play on M&G servers?

• New scenes, built with period Romanesque architecture

Votes: 620 45.0%
  • Another faction, such as Greek, Parthian, or other

Votes: 807 58.6%
  • More players on the servers

Votes: 478 34.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

OMG OMG OMG looks like 'Chusquerius' will be back among the deads... (was my ImperivmIII nick) hehe. Seriously, nice stuff, cant wait to try it!
Other point, use to be servers of it's dead as 1200[M]??

The main thing this mod needs is players.

Other than that, I'd rather see other factions then new maps. Maybe there could be a Dacian faction, and they could have the falx, and the gauls could have two handed swords or something.

I love their helmets:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/images/books/covers/9780850454734.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_oz-quqRgtfc/Sl9QEKbdPqI/AAAAAAAABKU/PHdg9EEonyk/s800/dacianhelmets1.jpg

Ratman said:
he should add spain as a faction half-barbarian half-civilised
the Romans copied lots of technics and weapons of the spainians like the gladius

would be great to have half/half

cartage would be great too.

and by the way

!!!AWESOME!!!  :shock:
The name is Iberian tribes, not spainians.
But yes, Rome copied several things from them, including the Gladius. :smile:

sorry your right stupid mistake :oops:

but anyways dacia wouldnt be a great faction because they were very simular to the gauls.

rat. :razz:

greeks or persians(is this the right english name?) would be cool because they are completly different while gauls, dacians and germanes are very similiar.
carthago would be just awsome because the romans realy hated them  :mrgreen:
Egyptians would be cool to because they are cool ^^
in generel we need a ranged weapon based faction (slingers would be cool too) and a khergitfaction (scytians or something like this)

You did an amazing job with the Gauls (except for the falxes -- I think adding Dacian stuff to Gauls is a bit far-fetched :razz:). I'm looking forward to having some nice big MP battles on this mod.

Ratman said:
sorry your right stupid mistake :oops:

but anyways dacia wouldnt be a great faction because they were very simular to the gauls.

rat. :razz:
No worries. :smile:
Yeah, i think maybe there should just be 1 universal barb faction, or only two or three to cover multiple similar groups.
Fürst_Metternich said:
greeks or persians(is this the right english name?) would be cool because they are completly different while gauls, dacians and germanes are very similiar.
in generel we need a ranged weapon based faction (slingers would be cool too) and a khergitfaction (scytians or something like this)
Yes, the english names are the Greeks and Persians. Though I think that the Parthiawould be better then Persia as a faction choice, the Persians had already mostly fallen apart by this period.. :wink:

Lord drake i have to disagree about 1 universal barb faction. Caladonion celts would be a great faction because they were a pain in the neck for the romans (think about the hadrian wall :grin:). they would be a great faction too. And multiplayere fights with barb vs barb would be great too :shock:.

Parthia would be cool and they had horse archers too just like the kergits so we dont need a faction like that. Egyptians had chariots in their army. When left out you have a major gap in Egyptian warfare.

Rat :wink:

Ratman said:
Lord drake i have to disagree about 1 universal barb faction. Caladonion celts would be a great faction because they were a pain in the neck for the romans (think about the hadrian wall :grin:). they would be a great faction too. And multiplayere fights with barb vs barb would be great too :shock:.

Parthia would be cool and they had horse archers too just like the kergits so we dont need a faction like that. Egyptians had chariots in their army. When left out you have a major gap in Egyptian warfare.

Rat :wink:
Yeah, I didn't think anyone would agree with it, just tossing it out on the water. Which is the reason for the second half, two or three barb factions that cover several similar groups. (speaking of which, I just noticed it wasn't typed out right.

Fürst_Metternich said:
Slingers would indeed be awesome, but you'd have to make a totally new animations for them.
A chariot would be awesome aswell  :razz:, too bad that it is probably way too difficult to make.

The 6 factions I would choose are:

- Romans (Obviously)
- Gauls (Obviously)
- Greeks/Macedonians (Very unique (and strong) armies and very influential in the ancient world, but you would need new animations for hoplites and phalanxes)
- Carthaginians (A major power and enemy of rome, too bad they can't have elephants  :razz:)
- Parthia (A Khergit like faction with heavy cavalry and horse archers)
- Germanic tribes (A major enemy of the romans and they lack cavalry and have the very unique berserker (see reasoning behind this in spoiler below) troop which makes their playstyle very different from that of the Gauls.

I first just posted a reasoning why the Germanic tribes might be a suitable 6th faction, but I decided that I will add them to my list. So I have inserted the reasoning in the spoiler.

I don't really know what the best choice for a 6th faction would be. The first thing that comes to mind are the germanic tribes. Their society is way different from that of the Gauls and the Romans fought them a lot, but the problem is that their armies are like the Gaulish armies. Their armies were however less organized and more focused on individual strenght, but I don't know a way to represent that in mount&blade multiplayer. You could of course make them unique by making some sort of berserker/followers of wodan troop with no armor (or just a wolfskin/bearskin), but with good weapons and a lot of hp/powerstrike (due to the berserkergang (which involves getting over pain by whipping yourself into a frenzy or by consuming drugged foods)). The only problem with those berserkers is that there is little historical evidence to support them, even though it's quite certain that there existed something like them.
The germanic faction would then consist of the following troops:
Germanic tribesmen/warriors: Standard warriors like Gaulish warriors, but without the falxes, so just spears and swords, maybe an increased usage of clubs.
Berserkers: Foot troops with very high stats, but no armor (except for wolfskins) and no shields. They would use very strong two-handed spears.
Germanic skirmishers: Weak foot troops with javelins and maybe bows, like the Gaulish archers, but more focused on throwing.

They would lack cavalry, which makes them very unique of course.

I actually like the idea of a Germanic tribes faction  :smile:, the berserkers might not be 100% accurate, but it would certainly offer a unique troop type and fighting style.
These 6 factions all have a very different army which is of course good and they were the most important enemies of the romans.

By the way: Caledonians are not Celts, they are a different people with their own distinct culture and language.

Make gladiators, But you can only play as them in the arena, deathmatch dual thing,
I think other nations should be the focus first because Gladiators were no part of the armies and other cultures will bring a greater variety of troops. And I think Gladiators will be very hard to make. You would have to create all new weapons/helmets and body armor which doesn't look like anything made before at all. You would have to make a lot of new items from scratch.

your right about the celts i got a bit confused there :oops:.

but germeny is cool but if you read my earlier post I noticed THE IBERIAN TRIBES they will make an better faction then the germans i think. They have cavs so that makes them less unique but they are a mix of barb and civs wich makes them also a unique faction. But if germany is chosen, for beserkers i would make two-handed axes instead of Spears.  :razz:

RaT :twisted:

I chose Germanic tribes because the Celtiberian tribes are a bit similar to the Gauls and the romans most often fought them as mercenaries in Carthaginian armies. Therefore you could make them a troop type for the Carthaginians: Celtiberian Mercenaries
2-handed axes seems like a logical choice for the berserkers, but the "historical" beserkers were often depicted with spears as their main weapon. And troops using just spears, one handed swords and javelins is pretty unique.
Spears might be to weak to compensate for the lack of armor. In that case 2-handed axes is probably the way to go.

@Llew2: If you have the motivation to make another faction, I suggest you make a poll which asks people which one of the 6 (4 extra) factions I mentioned in the post above people would like to see most. Of course you can just use any other faction if you think that would be a better choice  :razz:, but it's just a suggestion.

What about just general gladiators as a faction. As in Spartacus, I mean this is ahistorical so why not? (<<I am guessing you have a few reasons as to why not)

Sylke said:
- Carthaginians (A major power and enemy of rome, too bad they can't have elephants  :razz:)

Or could they....i wonder if anyone has attempted to ever make rideable elephants. Iv seen cars, iv seen bikes, iv seen starwars speeders so why not a big fat elephant? :razz:

i have a bit of a problem with the Greeks because the romans in the mod have segmentata but the romans had segmentatas when the greeks were defeated. not a really big bug or something just a little thing.

As for spartacus love the idea wanted to post it myself but you were first. you could call em like Spartacus Rebel Army.
3 troops
- Secutores (swordsman)
- Sagittarii (archers)
- Hoplomachi (spearman)

First notice the lack of cavs. My fault i dont know about gladiator cavs so. Spearman make them more unique tow. I dont remember about any cavs in spartacus's army. Maybe you could make like Freed-slave Caverlary or something (bad english i know :grin: im dutch).
about the iberian tribes they were like barbarian romans so i would like to see them as a faction not as a part of the Cartagian army.

RaT :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom