m&b warband one day earlier i had 0 controversy now i have 37, HOW?!

Users who are viewing this thread

You're a marshall and controversy builds up whenever anything bad happens to any lords or settlements in your kingdom (i know, right :roll:)
it's a bit of a broken mechanic because it can't be avoided in a normal game (lords that don't join you are still affected), so don't worry about it too much. It just means you might not be picked as marshall for a while, and can make you slightly less likely to get fiefs.

I recently resigned from marshal and i asked who was getting the fief i conquered. He would usually say me but he said himself. I asked him to support me and he said i had too much controversy. I checked and i all-of-a-sudden had 37. Is it possible to lower it?

jacobhinds said:
and can make you slightly less likely to get fiefs.

No it completely hinders you because after like 1 day you have way over 50 already which bans you from getting fiefs. The mechanic is absolutely broken and it annoys me so hard that there's still no hack to alter that. Not even TweakMB or any mod removes that. Makes the whole beeing a marshal thing worthless as you don't get what you conquer.

Edit: My advice to the OP: If you want fiefs, don't become marshall. Try to make the current marshall attack a town and then ask everyone for your support.

Arekai said:
jacobhinds said:

The mechanic is absolutely broken and it annoys me so hard that there's still no hack to alter that. Not even TweakMB or any mod removes that.

Hmm, I think I will look into this soon. It is probably very possible to make a mod that makes controversy harder to get.

TheGME said:
Arekai said:
jacobhinds said:

The mechanic is absolutely broken and it annoys me so hard that there's still no hack to alter that. Not even TweakMB or any mod removes that.

Hmm, I think I will look into this soon. It is probably very possible to make a mod that makes controversy harder to get.

I'd love you so much for that. I'd use it in every single playthrough.
I really don't get why they would hold you responsible for lords half across the map away that run into stronger enemies and loose. Not only does controversy ban you from getting fiefs, it also drastically reduces your time as marshall because you get kicked when you're hovering near that 100, which is the maximum and reached very fast.

I think controversy may or may not affect the player, depending on the playing style. I don't become a vassal. I go directly from a group of mercenaries to become a King. Then I'm marshal and it's all good :smile:

Alright, so I've been looking in the code and all and there is a ton of stuff about controversy. There are some notes, and I've already found the piece of code that prevents you from getting votes due to controversy:

[anyone,"lord_internal_politics_plyr_request_support", [
  (troop_slot_ge, "trp_player", slot_troop_controversy, 25),
  (this_or_next|faction_slot_eq, "$players_kingdom", slot_faction_political_issue, 1),
(troop_slot_ge, "trp_player", slot_troop_controversy, 50),
  ],
  "You have engendered too much controversy to be a viable candidate right now. I would advise you to wait a little while before seeking any further honors for yourself.", "lord_pretalk",
  [
  ]],
And for political quests:
[anyone,"combined_political_quests", [
    (this_or_next|eq, "$political_quest_found", "qst_intrigue_against_lord"),
(eq, "$political_quest_found", "qst_denounce_lord"),

(troop_slot_ge, "trp_player", slot_troop_controversy, 30),

],
  "Hmm.. I do have an idea, but it would require you that you be free of controversy. If you were to wait some time without getting into any arguments with the other lords of our realm, perhaps we could proceed further.", "lord_pretalk",[
  ]],
PS: Just found out that you can ask lords to replace the marshal via persuasion. I never knew that... Apparently you ask a lord what they're doing while they're following a marshal, and if they disagree with the strategy you can talk to them about replacing him.
Code:
"Yes. I have already made my position on this matter clear. I believe that {s4} should be marshal instead of {s5}."
"I will make up my mind on this matter without your persuasion, {sir/my lady}."
"Yes, I would say that. At this point, I would be tempted to say that I support {s15} instead. I am glad that you and I had this discussion, so that I know that we are of the same mind on this matter."
"Not necessarily. It is possible for {s4} and I have to have an honest disagreement over strategy, without my seeking to replace him."

Anyway... I don't know how to slow down controversy, but I can eliminate the effects of it pretty easily I bet. I'll think about doing it some time in the future.

Back
Top Bottom