M&B Warband Beta version 0.801 is released

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kleidophoros said:
Just try to stand in teh way of a short sword when wearing nothing. Then come back here to comment again.

Realism doesn't always work. For games that is.

Read my other messages, I'm all for realism. In  the case of the horses, you should not be able to stop one just by standing in its way. It's just ridiculous.

Edit : Any weapon hitting a non armored character should kill him !

I didn't say a horse shouldn't knock you down.  What I said was that it shouldn't knock you down if it is moving incredibly slowly or isn't moving.  Which both happened to me last night.

And actually, the place where I live is home to one of the biggest mounted cavalcades in Europe, I've stood in front of horses many times.  (And the ones I did touch didn't cause me to fall over).  Unfortunately I can't ride them because I'm allergic to them so I can't comment on anything regarding actually riding one but if you really do want to hark on about slow moving horses and realism be sure that a horse would rather run round you than through you unless someone was forcing it forward.  In this case I am on about unmounted horses.

Ok my bad, I concede there, that is actually on another similar thread.  But either way in gaming terms it doesn't work and this isn't a full blown medieval simulator.

I dont really see how a man on a horse would rather run around you than trample you down and hit you while you are down.
Horse bumbs are fine imho.

Annynduir said:
Ok...
While that patch was mostly awesome especially the swordplay on horseback, cheers guys! And thanks Serdar for the anti rivers of milk patch! These are things I have to complain about...

1) Cav horses can knock you down/disrupt from almost 0 speed. (ANNOYING)
Try standing infront of a horse in real life and see if it disrupts you when it moves :razz:
2) Armour still doesn't do anything.
I think this is a server-side bug
3) I like where those animations are going but they aren't finished.
I agree, some of them could use a little more work, but overall they look OK
4) I hope the AI in the release is better than that joke I see in custom battles.
The AI has always been really bad compared to human players, so I wouldn't expect too much. 

The movement of swinging seems a bit smoother now, still needs a bit of tweaking though.
The new menu interface is nice, props to the artist.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
Annynduir said:
Ok...
While that patch was mostly awesome especially the swordplay on horseback, cheers guys! And thanks Serdar for the anti rivers of milk patch! These are things I have to complain about...

Try standing infront of a horse in real life and see if it disrupts you when it moves :razz:

In real life, horses won't hurt anyone, it's in their nature to avoid humans instead of hitting them with body while charging. Stay sure of this.

Giledhil said:
Kleidophoros said:
Just try to stand in teh way of a short sword when wearing nothing. Then come back here to comment again.

Read my other messages, I'm all for realism. In  the case of the horses, you should not be able to stop one just by standing in its way. It's just ridiculous.

A bolt can kill a knight in full armour too. Are you up for that kinda realism?

Kleidophoros said:
Giledhil said:
Kleidophoros said:

Not with the crossbows we have in game. They are far too weak to penetrate plate armor on anything but close distance.

UsF said:
Kleidophoros said:
Giledhil said:
Kleidophoros said:

Not with the crossbows we have in game. They are far too weak to penetrate plate armor on anything but close distance.
A bolt can kill a knight in full armour too at least in close range. Are you up for that kinda realism?

Happy now?
And don't forget we have a siege crossbow in the game, it doesn't look like one but it's named as such.
And we don't have plate armour in the game. (in multiplayer)

The crossbows are hand-spanned (using your legs actually), even the siege one. If the siege one would take an appropriate time to be armed, then it would be fine, but right now it is rather fast.

Having bolts kill armored knights at close range would be fine, right now, every ranged weapon makes enemies stagger around and delivers damage, no matter where they hit or at what range. On close range, you need to hit a perpendicular surface to deliver the optimum of force to the target or hit an unarmored place like in the armpits or through the visor.

Also I love realism. Mount and Blade Warband with ArmA2 engine anyone?  :mrgreen:
I want plate armor in multiplayer. Chainmail is worthless against ranged weapons. Leather or padded cloth helps more (chainmail has an additional layer of either underneath normally).

Also I agree that horses should not stagger persons if they move by them slow. This would simulate the horse glancing the person but not actually interrupting his actions dead in his tracks.

Armagan said:
Uhm, sorry to hear about those problems. We'll try to fix it first thing in the morning (It's almost midnight here now...)

An update on this, Armagan? It's quite debilitating to be playing right now...

longbow93 said:
CtrlAltDe1337 said:
Annynduir said:
Ok...

In real life, horses won't hurt anyone, it's in their nature to avoid humans instead of hitting them with body while charging. Stay sure of this.
In real life, horses can be trained. Horses trained for war were specifically trained to overcome their instincts, to approach humans without fear and it is known they even bit people in a fight.

But again, don't start the horse realism argument. As long as horses cost less than a leather jerkin, they are not allowed to possess the power of a real horse.

It was just an explanation, anyway I'm fine with cavalry and I think it should be left as it is in the last release.. Take a look at ranged and melee instead..

P.s. They were trained to bite and kick to death also.

Grunar said:
UsF said:
Also I love realism. Mount and Blade Warband with ArmA2 engine anyone?  :mrgreen:

Real Virtuality3 is meh what we want is UR3.

CryEngine 3 is looking pretty fantastic, as well. Remains to be seen how optimized it really is, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom