M&B Mod-Related Websites

Users who are viewing this thread

Could someone please sticky this? It's a useful resourse, and it's becoming increasingly buried under the other threads about throwing various parts of the human anatomy.

If it is to be stickied, I'll also add in a link for Codewarrior's site (for hosting mods and such, like mine) into the first post of this thread.
Of course, the sites might also fit well in the top stickied post about mod resources.

I just got through putting a bunch of updates into place. The site has had a bit of a visual overhaul. Some bugs and features that weren't working are now fixed, and some security holes patched.
The downloads are now not exactly direct downloads, but are close enough. When you click the download link, it will pop up a new window to begin the download (much like many popular download sites you've no doubt been to). This change was necessary in order to track the number of downloads each file gets, so they can be ranked by number of downloads and rated as "popular" once they reach 50 downloads. I'll probably raise this number from 50 since 2 of the files hosted have already passed that mark.

People who currently have upload privileges: you will now notice "Modify" and "Delete" links under the file listing for all files you have uploaded. These show up in the main listing as well as the File Details page. You can use them, of course, to modify the listing (change the description, upload a new version, whatever), or delete it completely. Generally it is recommended you update rather than delete and upload new files.

There are still some features that are not working correctly which I hope to have fixed by tomorrow, along with a few additions.
Major To Do list:
* fix update notifications not being sent
* fix "Recommend" option not giving full link
* fix cookie storage so that you stay logged in until you choose to log off
* at registration screen, remind user not to pick a password they have on another site
* fix strange bug that shows "nl2br" or "nl2" in place of some short text
* add in a regular Contact form for issues other than requesting upload access
* add links section with link to M&B main site, these forums, Codewright's mod site, and any other M&B fan sites I can find

If you run across any other problems using the site not mentioned above, or have a suggestion on how I can make it better, please PM me here in the forums or use the e-mail link at the top of the center section of my site.

People with mods they'd like to share: go ahead and register on the site and request upload privileges! There's about a 99% chance you'll be accepted, and you can store and easily update your mod file(s) on the site after that.

Hmm, guess that just about covers everything.

It's good to see that project details props was more popular than I had thought.

One suggestion: could you make it an option so that you can automatically be logged on when you come to the website?

Ingolifs said:
It's good to see that project details props was more popular than I had thought.
Yeah, I was surprised there had been that many downloads of everything myself. No real noticeable badwidth is being used for the site so far. Too bad the only way I could get the download counts working was by adding back in slightly indirect downloads. Small enough tradeoff though, I think. I actually manually set the download counts (since they were at 0 in the database of course) based off of the specific file download statistics for my site. Too bad I can't hook PHP up with those numbers directly.

Ingolifs said:
One suggestion: could you make it an option so that you can automatically be logged on when you come to the website?
Hmm, glad you mentioned that. It's supposed to stay logged in until the cookie for the site eventually gets deleted or a few years pass, but I just checked myself and it does seem to be only storing it for as long as the browser is open. I'll add that to the To Do list, shouldn't be too hard to hunt down the cookie code and fix it.

EDIT: Good idea, Narcissus. Though most people will probably ignore it. :smile: I'll add in a statement not to use a password which is being used on another site. Security shouldn't be a problem though, user passwords are MD5 encrypted in the database.
And thanks. :grin:

It isn't a big deal really, but you might want to add a reminder to people that register ... not to use the same log-in and password as here.

Just a thought and the site looks great. :grin:

Narcissus

Well, these are now taken care of:
* fix "Recommend" option not giving full link
* fix cookie storage so that you stay logged in until you choose to log off
* at registration screen, remind user not to pick a password they have on another site
* fix strange bug that shows "nl2br" or "nl2" in place of some short text
* add in a regular Contact form for issues other than requesting upload access

Some still need to be worked on, but for the time being I'm leaving them. A few new ones are added. Here is the current to do list:
* fix notifications (such as for when new files are posted) not being sent
* add links section with link to M&B main site, these forums, Codewright's mod site, and any other M&B fan sites I can find
* "Popular" rating seems to only show if file is "new" or "updated"
* "&PHPSESSID=" in some links: remove need for this
* For each download listing, show category/subcategory it's in
* When viewing main categories, list files which are in subcategories as well

I'll eventually get to working on these issues, probably after the mod tools become available and/or site activity increases. At the moment I need to free up time so I can finish work on another project. One that will make money. :wink:

Anyway, hope everyone enjoys the site.

Yeah, have to say thats a great site. Ill use it as the primary download for the next mag-7 and make rapidshare into the mirror. Less hassles all around.

Thanks again!

Thanks, guys.

Went ahead and updated the site to include .704 in the "for M&B version" selection. Oh, and there is also a .7xx option I added in a while back.

With the new version of M&B and the mod tools out, looks like I need to hurry my ass up with my other project and get back to fixing up the site. :eek:

I think at some point I'll also have another section of the site for tutorials and such rather than just having it as part of the downloads section. If somebody was willing, I could even give another person mod privileges for that forthcoming section so they could update it and add content. :hint: :hint:
If anybody has other thoughts for stuff to add to or improve the site, just let me know.

Great work Janus, your site is a great addition to the community.

I have a minor suggestion - add "all" in the "for M&B version" selection, for mods compatible with all versions (like sound and textures replacement packs).

Well, a couple of changes. I've added the new ".710" as an option.
Secondly, I've added in a new large download option I'm testing out. The site should now support up to 100mb uploads without me having to manually add them. I've tested it myself and it seems to work, but I'd like someone else to verify it works for them to be sure. For uploads larger than 8mb, there is now a link "Click for uploads larger than 8MB" for that.

In the future I might further integrate the large file process. It's a bit of a hack, since it switches from PHP to a Perl CGI script and back again to get around the PHP upload limit.

dablade said:
Great work Janus, your site is a great addition to the community.
I have a minor suggestion - add "all" in the "for M&B version" selection, for mods compatible with all versions (like sound and textures replacement packs).
Thanks. I'm not sure about an "all" option; for one thing I would need to remap each download if I added in a new option towards the top. Mainly though, I think the "n/a" or ".7xx" options should be sufficient.

Big news! The site has moved to it's own domain now on a new host. This new host has twice the storage space and 3 times the bandwidth, and can accept larger files through PHP. I've dropped the temporary CGI solution I had in place for large uploads, and increased the regular maximum upload size to 50mb which I feel is a good limit.

All files, accounts, and other content has been retained in the move. If you already have an account, you can just use the same username and password as before.

Well, what are you waiting for? Head on to the new site at http://www.mbrepository.com/.

All people with links here in the forum to their download on the old site should update their links accordingly. I'll send an e-mail to everyone who has uploaded files regarding this change.

EDIT: if you have a link to the "file details" for your file on the old site, your link will continue to function for a month's time before it is removed. You will however be unable to update it from the old site, and should switch to the new site as soon as possible. Your file will be on the new site just as it was on the old.

Back
Top Bottom