M&B Mod-Related Websites

Users who are viewing this thread

http://www.calradia.com/modwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Oh my god this site has been hacked by an seriiously wierd hacker!½

Sad... :cry: i mean who cares about little mount and blade expect its fanatical Fan base

removed the bit saying two other specific sites should be hacked... not cool  -Janus

LoL, now he has hacked the Waterloo  mod site, it will never get updated so i guess that he should be able to keep  :twisted: it, thats phsycho how he tries  :grin:

EDIT: And his documentary is from the 70:ies things have changed buddy, and i know that you check this thread out once in a while.. :twisted:

Here you have link to forum of "With Fire And Sword" mod www.withfireandswordmod.fora.pl
Soon we will have our own website!

Just a note, The Repository was attacked a few hours ago by someone hammering away at the files directory. It had to be locked temporarily to stem the attack.

As a result, for a few hours all downloads and uploads were inaccessible. Sorry for the inconvenience, and hopefully my host has it sorted so it won't happen again. Guess we'll see.

EDIT: almost immediately after re-enabling downloads, the attack resumed. Unfortunately, all files will be unaccessible for probably at least 12 hours. Again, sorry for the inconvenience everyone.

fisheye said:
Thanks Janus. Let us know when it is back!

Echoed here. 

Who is pathetic enough to attack M&B related websites?  Why do such a thing?  I mean, if you are interested in causing cyber-mischief, surely one could think of some websites and organizations that are far more deserving of this sort of treatment?  The world has too few developers like this, and too few projects like M&B.

Just as an update, the server the Repository's on is still getting hammered at this time and will thus remain unavailable for downloads (it gets hammered much worse when the large files are accessible). I also haven't heard back from the IT guys in a few hours about what they're doing now to take care of the problem, so at this point I don't have an ETA for a fix.

You've got me about why someone would try to bring the Repository down. It is on a shared server along with some other sites, but they tell me it's the Repository site which is the target of the attack.

Janus said:
Just as an update, the server the Repository's on is still getting hammered at this time and will thus remain unavailable for downloads (it gets hammered much worse when the large files are accessible). I also haven't heard back from the IT guys in a few hours about what they're doing now to take care of the problem, so at this point I don't have an ETA for a fix.

You've got me about why someone would try to bring the Repository down. It is on a shared server along with some other sites, but they tell me it's the Repository site which is the target of the attack.

That's . . . stupid. Seriously. I'd like to shout at the tosser responsible. Do you need any more donations to keep things running?

Also, do you get any benefit from someone else using the MBR promo code for Dreamhost? I'm thinking of buying some hosting from them, what're they like? Good service?

Recurrently,
Winter

OK, the Repository is back up for the moment. It has a connection throttle in place (50 connections every 5 seconds), so it might crap out and give a 503 error occasionally, but if you get that error then wait a few seconds and try again. I'm still working with Dreamhost support to try and permanently resolve the issue. It's quite possible the Repository will go down again in a while, we'll just have to see.

Winter:
Nah, donations wouldn't help this issue, thanks though.

If people use the promo code for Dreamhost I get a discount on the hosting bill for the site. I've recently switched a couple of other domains over onto the same plan which are low-traffic sites. Since the Dreamhost plan offers unlimited domains/subdomains on one account, each working separately, I decided to ditch the other hosting plan I had and move my sites to that one account.

Dreamhost is probably the best feature-packed host out there for anywhere approaching the price, and they've given decent support in the past when I've had an issue and the support people at least had some idea of what they were talking about (unlike most other hosts I've used).
However, recently with this problem I haven't been impressed with their response. So, I'd have to rate their support as a mixed bag. Admittedly, I've been working with a single guy on this problem, so he isn't representative of the rest of the support department.

janus, would it be able to proxy the site thru a diffrent server or computer so it would throw of the attackers ? i really have no clue what im talking about but im trying to help , let me know if theirs anything i can do

Unfortunately, downloads have again had to be disabled on the Repository. You will get a "Forbidden" error when you try to download or upload anything. The site is currently getting too many connections at a time for the server to handle, causing major problems. Later today (Monday) I will be working to modify the site so it can spread out some of the load to a subdomain, which should relieve the strain on the server. No guarantees on when the site will again be available, though I hope to have something workable in place before Tuesday.

Er... Perhaps I'll ask a VERY stupid question - but why don't you make mirrors of most requested files on www.rapidshare.com, for example?

That's up to the mod authors.

Janus can't upload hundreds of files onto rapidshare. That's just crazy-talk.

If you want a file, go ask the mod author for it.

Just to let people know how things are going, with a bit of help from the Dreamhost support team I've come up with a solution to take care of the connection problems which have been plaguing the Repository lately and it should be back operational a bit later today. I've modified the site script to spread connections to several subdomains which will be running on different apache processes. That should take care of the problem permanently. I'm just waiting on a message from them to let me know they've set each subdomain to use a different apache process and I'll open the site back up.

So, the site should be good to go later today. :smile:

OK, the Repository is back up and running with what should be a permanent solution to the problems, with downloads being served through a rotation of 9 subdomains. Because of this, I'd now prefer that people not directly link to the files since that would bypass the subdomain usage. The regular download link (with something like "visit.php?cid=3&lid=375" at the end) is where it chooses a subdomain to serve the file from, to average out connection loads between them.
Of course, a few people using direct links shouldn't be a problem since most downloads will be going through the subdomain rerouting.

Anyway, the main point, the site is back up, and should be running smoothly and not have any such problems in the future as it's had these past few days. :smile:

This is what I got from a member called "janus" via e-mail repository (at) fenrisoft.com in connection with the question on M&B Repository:

The site has been down for the past few days due to the server being
overloaded with connections. The site is now back up and that problem
should be permanently taken care of.

So, download away.

and this is what I get when trying to enter http://www.mbrepository.com/
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

error id: "bad_httpd_conf"
Now, either I do not understand the meaning of the word "permanently" or the site has a different address now? Please clarify... Thanks in advance. :shock:

Posts like that one make me angry.

Obviously there's some kind of error and things are being worked on. A bug this obvious would hardly be unnoticed.

The community owes Janus a lot for voluntarily running (and paying for) the repository service. Show some respect.

Back
Top Bottom