M&B Mod Installer Script for Mod Authors (v1.9)

Users who are viewing this thread

Also people are probably more likely to look at a post that isn't a sticky, if you ask me. :wink:

I'll just give the post a bump every once in a while when it gets a page back or more.

I've now released v1.1 of the installer script, which is available on my site.

Download it from Here

The "Textures" installation has been tested (thanks -GandalfTheGrey) and works. "Resource" installation is untested, but should work exactly the same.

Changes from v1.0:
- Updated to support "Textures" and "Resource" folders if they exist (M&B v0.710), for installing new textures and meshes.
- If M&B folder couldn't be determined from registry, v1.0 would notify user and exit. Now it will just warn the user, then use the default installation path ("Program Files\Mount&Blade").
- installer.txt is updated with a bit more info on uninstallation and the like.

EDIT: I do appreciate the offer of stickying it, Narcissus. I just don't think it's necessarily something that's "sticky" material. :wink:
Now if the Unofficial Editors forum was renamed to say, Unofficial Editing Tools, this might have a place there. I've thought of that in the past, but don't want to step on anyone's toes, and I'm not completely sure it would be appropriate.

I don't see anything wrong with it, as it needs to go somewhere.

It isn't an editor yet it is a mod-maker's tool.

Obviously if it causes problems, I'll switch things back ... yet I don't see why it would.

Narcissus

I just released version 1.2, which supports further graphic customization of your installer (got a request for this :wink:).

Updating From Previous Versions
If you have previously used v1.0 or v1.1 of this script, it is easy to update to the new version. You can simply copy each of the lines you changed at the top of the old script to the new version; copying the entire first section over is acceptable.

Changes in this version:
- Added support for 2 optional graphics, one to be shown on the welcome/finish page and one for all pages in-between.
- Now files with the extension ORIG are skipped and not added to the installation; this file type is a backup created by the Unofficial Editor and is not needed by the end user. BMP files are also skipped.

I'd just like to make a note about a problem I've noticed with the script (should have posted earlier, ah well).

The "Show Readme" feature seems to be a bit buggy, and you should be sure to test it out on your installer before releasing it. Sometimes the compiled installer will crash when you finish the installation if you have this option checked. The installation is complete at that point, so it's not a problem really, but still not good.
If you test your installer and it does that, it seems to be fixable by simply recompiling the installer script a second time. I don't know why it has this error or why recompiling fixes it, but there you go. I've played around with the script and can't find the source of the problem.

Alternately, you can have your installer simply not give the "Show Readme" option for your mod as described in the installer's readme and within the installer script.

Wish I could figure out where the problem lies, but at the least I can warn people. :mad:

By the way, the script doesn't currently support the new Sounds folder.

I'll release an update tomorrow with that support. I'll also take another stab at the strange readme crash problem, but don't expect anything there.

The 1.3 update is now available with support for the "Sounds" folder.

If you're using an older version of the script, you can as before just copy the top section from your old installer and paste it into this new version of the script. Nothing else is needed to update to the new version.

Download it from Here

The strange "view readme" crash still affects some very few people unfortunately, but those cases seem few and far between.
I've double checked it and tested to make sure everything was in place and there's no reason the crash should occur. Still, it causes no problems since it occurs after installation is completed. So, no big deal even for the few people it affects.

Updated.

v1.4:
- Uninstaller creation changed to optional (set at top of file), and now defaults to not creating an uninstaller.

Updated for the changes in M&B .800.

Download it from Here

v1.5:
- Updated to include "Music" folder for use in M&B .800.
- Updated to not exclude BMP files, so the new .800 intro BMP image is included.
- Ability to have it copy over Native saved games was removed, since the savegame path is changed and it's unnecessary anyway.

Bump. Great job as always, Janus.

I know you are probably busy with the Repository, but I have a request. :twisted:

Could you make a script for music mods (just music.txt and .mp3 files), which would allow people to install new tracks directly to Native or to any other mod of their choice?

Thanks.

Edit: typo.

The Repository should be permanently fixed now. :smile:

Should be simple enough, I'll probably do one tomorrow. Though, I haven't even tested adding module-specific music yet, so I'll have to play with it to make sure of how it works and what files it needs.

I tried to fix the K&K Music Mod, and apparently all there is to do is to add .mp3s to the Modules/YourMod/Music/ folder and modify music.txt in Modules/YourMod/. Nothing like "scan_module_musics = 1" in module.ini as far as I know.

-GandalfTheGrey said:
I tried to fix the K&K Music Mod, and apparently all there is to do is to add .mp3s to the Modules/YourMod/Music/ folder and modify music.txt in Modules/YourMod/. Nothing like "scan_module_musics = 1" in module.ini as far as I know.

I tried doing that and it hasn't worked for me. I had to add the music to the music folder in the M&B directory for it to play.n

Back
Top Bottom