Lower tier bows & crossbows should do cutting damage instead of piercing

Users who are viewing this thread

Totalgarbage

Sergeant Knight
Even with the armor buffs, most ranged units still deal too much damage. Instead of nerfing the piercing line and then buffing spears and sword piercing attacks (if the devs were even thinking of doing this), the devs should instead make lower tier bows/crossbows do cutting damage. By changing the damage type to cutting, militia archers/crossbowmen, lower tier ranged units and horse archers would be more more balanced. In addition to this change, javelins, throwing spears, etc. and slashing polearms do need a damage nerf for gameplay balance (this is obviously assuming that the AI for stabbing with spears and spear bracing, as well as judging distances for attacking will be fixed sometime).

I don't use crossbows for several reasons:
1. My playstyle. For me rate of fire is important. Bow vs crossbow? No-brainer.
2. Historical anachronism. Not that they didn't exist in some form or another in 11th century, but were for sure not so wide spread as to make them go-to missile weapon for Vlandia (normans?). I still think Vlandia should get back their longbows. I could live with castle and city militia using them during siege. They are great weapon to fire from behind the cover where one can reload it in relative safety.
3. Its ok for light crossbow to be able to string it by hand. But several hundred pounds draw heavy ones/Arbalests? Come on 🤦🏻‍♂️

We must be playing diffent games.

If there is one thing in the game that truely scales well, it is archers. Better accuracy, longer range and more killing power.

Low level archers are barely more useful than recruits.

Even with the best armor and athletics level 250 perk, tier 2 and militia archers can do 8-12 damage, with around 25 damage to head and neck. Low tier archers while not being great are definitely not as terrible as you make them out to be. High tier archers and specifically Fian champions are OP for sure but I think tier 5 archers being good is reasonable and I think noble troops should be OP. The way to go with noble troops would be imo with limiting their recruitability, which in another post I recommended that should only be recruitable from the 3rd or 4th recruitment slot onwards from castle-village notables.

Or maybe the armor set I bought for 150k should you know, protect me better against arrows?
My standard operating practise to build up and train a party early game is to attack villages through force recruit/supply.

Because dealing with low level infantry and archers is easy. Even without 150k armor!

Good for you. What if I want to play as a warrior with a 2 handed sword or polearm build? The game shouldn't pigeonhole the player into making specific gameplay choices. Right now, with max armor and HP, you CAN go into a 1000v1000 battle or a siege and get 100 kills, but you probably won't due to 2-3 arrows dealing near half your hp unless you specifically go for a max hp build.

Good for you. What if I want to play as a warrior with a 2 handed sword or polearm build? The game shouldn't pigeonhole the player into making specific gameplay choices. Right now, with max armor and HP, you CAN go into a 1000v1000 battle or a siege and get 100 kills, but you probably won't due to 2-3 arrows dealing near half your hp unless you specifically go for a max hp build.
Hide behind the shieldwall until the sides close and then go beserker all you want.

What, you go into battle? Ha, you imbecile, how dare you not play the optimal trading build with excel spreadsheets detailing the median prices of all commodities and production of all workshops in each town on a separate screen? Why don't you play the optimal speedrun strats? What do you mean that your tier 5 full imperial legionary army dying to tier 2-3 archers is a problem?

What, you go into battle? Ha, you imbecile, how dare you not play the optimal trading build with excel spreadsheets detailing the median prices of all commodities and production of all workshops in each town on a separate screen? Why don't you play the optimal speedrun strats? What do you mean that your tier 5 full imperial legionary army dying to tier 2-3 archers is a problem?
Ok

@Totalgarbage TW should just:

* increase the damage soak of armor against pierce damage by 1.7x what it is now.
* buff spears and pikes damage across the board by 2.5x

fixed.

Back
Top Bottom