Love and Marriage: A Humane Approach

Users who are viewing this thread

LordOfAll

Recruit
I would suggest a game mechanic to improve the seeking of a spouse and the marriage procedures in the game .. without upsetting the existing system.
(1) In the Encyclopedia when looking up an NPC's 'Status' place another box labeled 'Single' .... [Alive] [Dead] [Single]. Easy to look for potential spouse.
In addition ....
(2) Provide an NPC 'Matchmaker' in every major city. This NPC would be like a merchant NPC, usually a female.
(3) Beginning at Tier 3 (and/or with other qualifications) the player would get a message 'A Matchmaker is looking for you in [Name of City].
(4) The 'Matchmaker' NPC in the city would have the [!] mark when active and available when the Player arrives at the city.
(5) In a dialog, the 'Matchmaker' would indicate that a potential spouse is 'Interested in meeting a noble of renown' and give the name of the interested party/person. The player would still have to locate the spouse in the Encyclopedia (or a hyperlink direct to the Encyclopedia info) and travel to the city to meet.
(6) Upon meeting the potential spouse, the remainder of the 'quest' could go just as it exists now with the same Q&A with either failure or success.etc.

IMO, this makes the search for a spouse throughout the game much less tedious and at the same time retains the 'lore' of wealth nobles looking to marry off other in the family.

Last edited:
And who the hell are you?

A dude who didn't read the opening post, since it was suggested we use the exact same system of courting (two conversations + negotiation) but with the added step of a matchmaker instead of looking through the encyclopedia then going on seek-and-seduce mission.

Last edited:
A dude who didn't read the opening post, since it was suggested we use the exact same system of courting but with the added step of a matchmaker instead of looking through the encyclopedia.
My only intention is to alleviate the tedious chore of hunting through the lists of possible spousal candidates. Marking an NPC status as ‘single’ would help. The idea of the ‘matchmaker’ was just another kind of ‘lore friendly’ way. My thoughts were that when a player character rises to a high level on the ‘society’ then he or she would become ‘desirable’ to other noble families.
i just thought it fit into the game.

I was also thinking about female player-characters. The ‘I understand you haven’t taken a wife’ is really awkward especially in the context of the game’s Medieval time period. The idea of the ‘matchmaker’ would work for females as well.
Or ‘if I whip your ass in battle will you marry me?’

My only intention is to alleviate the tedious chore of hunting through the lists of possible spousal candidates. Marking an NPC status as ‘single’ would help. The idea of the ‘matchmaker’ was just another kind of ‘lore friendly’ way. My thoughts were that when a player character rises to a high level on the ‘society’ then he or she would become ‘desirable’ to other noble families.
i just thought it fit into the game.

Yeah, it is a fine flavor idea.

I don't think having a neutral matchmaker would make sense or fit the lore. Feels kinda cheesy and forced.

However I like the idea of once you pass a certain renown nobles start petitioning to either marry off kids or themselves to you. Either with the petitioner directly approaching you or sending a messenger (either an actual actor or just a pop up message) with the petition.

"However I like the idea of once you pass a certain renown nobles start petitioning to either marry off kids or themselves to you. Either with the petitioner directly approaching you or sending a messenger (either an actual actor or just a pop up message) with the petition."

That was the reason for the 'matchmaker'. Medieval society in towns and villages had 'matchmakers'. There were no books, no newspapers, no internet, no real offices to hang out in the cubicles. The 'matchmaker' was a 'profession', a service. The first 'dating service' if you will.

I realize my point is really OCD, but the 'awkwardness' was for a female of the time to aggressively pursue and ask a man openly, 'I see you have yet to take a wife'. My opinion is that this would not be done. IMHO, it puts a female character at a disadvantage to run around the country asking this question. I know it really means nothing for gaming purposes but the 'matchmaker' idea would put this to rest plus eliminate some tedium.

These things are just points I noticed in playing the game. The primary focus of 'Bannerlords' is battles and combat. The other 'social-economic' aspects of the game are a backdrop to that. However, a lot of time and effort has been put into the social, economic, cultural, and diplomatic areas of the game to act as context.

I am just pointing out an aspect of the game that is kind of a grind and suggest a way around it.

This game has a long way yet to go for completion. Right now game stability and re-coding etc take precedence over 'wish lists' and enhancements. My only hope was that maybe one of the devs would just put this up as a 'posty note' for future consideration.

Back
Top Bottom