Losing entire armies in one battle needs to be changed

Users who are viewing this thread

durbal

Sergeant
Right now the bandaids for the AI like their zombie instant respawns, Harry Houdini prison escapes, and problems such as their armies full of recruits are caused largely by this one issue. Then you have it when the player loses a battle -- boom, whole army gone. Rebuild it all because game says so. Battle was down to 5 guys fighting it out? Too bad. One army is deleted and the other one remains.

It also causes other issues such as:
- Reluctance to take any risky battles (player might lose entire army)
- Reluctance to join AI armies (same as above)
- Campaign move speed being king of everything (and the ancillary issues such as absolutely requiring you to have a horse for every man in your army) because it allows you to choose only winning battles

It doesn't even make any sense. The fundamental problem is that battles are one big swirling melee of cavalry buzzing around a big blob of infantry hacking away at each other. Aside from slaughtering recruit armies with cavalry and medieval machine guns (aka bows), armies will never break. They fight to the absolute last man standing. One horse archer vs. 20 bows and 15 cavalry? No problem. He'll shoot off arrows as if nothing has changed since the battle started. A bigger issue is that there's no opportunity for units to flee due to how fast battles are, and when they do it's usually when they're at significantly lower strength to the point of being useless even if the few stragglers could escape.

Two things needs to change in order to have proper battles and actual routs, and they'll be a tough change to make:
- There need to be more units and the AI needs to know how to control them. Right now it's basically just one blob of infantry, one blob of bows, and one blob of cavalry that inexplicably rush ahead to their death (if any unit should rout you'd think it'd be cavalry since they can actually escape, but they tend to be the ones that will fight to the absolute last man).
- Battles need to last a lot longer. At least twice as long. Units need to be in a melee long enough to realize they're losing and flee. If battles aren't any longer, units will pretty much charge and the other unit will break and flee almost instantly. That might be fine for Palace Guard vs recruits, but in most battles it'd be too short and too frustrating since it'd limit player agency too much.

Most battles in mid-end game now are Your Veterans Vs AI recruits hordes.
One of the devs wrote that in next patch they will fix army composition so that recruits shouldn't be more than 40% if army (right now it's 70%). Maybe it will.make it a little better.
As for blobs if man in big battles. I agree the AI is stupid and not using strategies most of the time. Hope they will fix it.

The biggest problem with battles is the blob.
When you order your line of infantry to attack they all go after the closest enemy and just collapse into the massive blob, disregarding any form of a cohesive line. The only way to maintain a line is if you have your men in shield wall formation and allow the enemy to come to you.
There needs to be a larger radius for a soldiers collision bubble, and they need to implement more "hold formation" type commands to improve cohesiveness in the formation. Basically new command features to manage your infantry and improvements to AI so they dont just collapse into a massive blob. So many of the amazing things about battles and combat in this game are ruined as you watch a fight turn into a massive 300 man mosh pit.

Right now the bandaids for the AI like their zombie instant respawns, Harry Houdini prison escapes, and problems such as their armies full of recruits are caused largely by this one issue. Then you have it when the player loses a battle -- boom, whole army gone. Rebuild it all because game says so. Battle was down to 5 guys fighting it out? Too bad. One army is deleted and the other one remains.

It also causes other issues such as:
- Reluctance to take any risky battles (player might lose entire army)
- Reluctance to join AI armies (same as above)
- Campaign move speed being king of everything (and the ancillary issues such as absolutely requiring you to have a horse for every man in your army) because it allows you to choose only winning battles

It doesn't even make any sense. The fundamental problem is that battles are one big swirling melee of cavalry buzzing around a big blob of infantry hacking away at each other. Aside from slaughtering recruit armies with cavalry and medieval machine guns (aka bows), armies will never break. They fight to the absolute last man standing. One horse archer vs. 20 bows and 15 cavalry? No problem. He'll shoot off arrows as if nothing has changed since the battle started. A bigger issue is that there's no opportunity for units to flee due to how fast battles are, and when they do it's usually when they're at significantly lower strength to the point of being useless even if the few stragglers could escape.

Two things needs to change in order to have proper battles and actual routs, and they'll be a tough change to make:
- There need to be more units and the AI needs to know how to control them. Right now it's basically just one blob of infantry, one blob of bows, and one blob of cavalry that inexplicably rush ahead to their death (if any unit should rout you'd think it'd be cavalry since they can actually escape, but they tend to be the ones that will fight to the absolute last man).
- Battles need to last a lot longer. At least twice as long. Units need to be in a melee long enough to realize they're losing and flee. If battles aren't any longer, units will pretty much charge and the other unit will break and flee almost instantly. That might be fine for Palace Guard vs recruits, but in most battles it'd be too short and too frustrating since it'd limit player agency too much.
+1

Also battle speed needs to be reduced. Everything slowed down by 25-35%
This should also improve performance.

Last edited:
When you order your line of infantry to attack they all go after the closest enemy and just collapse into the massive blob, disregarding any form of a cohesive line. The only way to maintain a line is if you have your men in shield wall formation and allow the enemy to come to you.
There needs to be a larger radius for a soldiers collision bubble, and they need to implement more "hold formation" type commands to improve cohesiveness in the formation. Basically new command features to manage your infantry and improvements to AI so they dont just collapse into a massive blob. So many of the amazing things about battles and combat in this game are ruined as you watch a fight turn into a massive 300 man mosh pit.
This! I'd only add that the AI does the same thing which is a also problem. Your elite infantry runs faster than your recruits. So if you are charging from any sort of distance the troops that the AI troops target first are your elite units who will always be the first to arrive at the enemy. I've been losing tier 5 infantry to looters because of this.

When you order your line of infantry to attack they all go after the closest ene
my and just collapse into the massive blob, disregarding any form of a cohesive line. The only way to maintain a line is if you have your men in shield wall formation and allow the enemy to come to you.

Use this mod:

Combined with Health Rebalanced mod it makes for a bit more enjoyable combat. It's not perfect, but somewhat helps until TW gets the fix out.

The problem is that people use charge instead of advance.
Charge basically tells your men to go full berserker after the nearest enemy and should only be used when the battle is won.

Advance will keep your men in formation while advancing.

It doesn't change that it will still end in a blob due to ai just charging in, but your men will at least hold their formation.

Charge basically tells your men to go full berserker after the nearest enemy and should only be used when the battle is won.

It doesn't change that it will still end in a blob due to ai just charging in, but your men will at least hold their formation.

There is also a problem with formation that if You put units in formation the whole formations starts to target single opponenet. If they're set to face the enemy they can turn their backs to other enemies when the one they are chasing goes different way.

Lost a battle because of this recently.

I don't use advance very much because if you use it for your whole army the cavalry just charge ahead of your infantry and archers. Calling halt then means your army stops in different positions.

I just use the point and click method to move my troops and stagger the commands so the whole army arrives at the right point at the same time.

It would be nice if when selecting whole army advance they all move as one at the speed of the infantry.

IIRC, Warband suffered from the same blobbing issues. Yet M&B:Viking Conquest, a DLC based on the old Brytenwalda mod, managed to really tame army battle formations and give a lot of structure and control to M&B battles. I know the Brytenwalda mod had components to it that dug pretty deeply into the general battle code of the AI, so it wasn't simply a superficial formation mod to enable more control of player armies. It changed the way the AI itself moved around the field, and it was a big improvement.

I really hope TW eventually look to it for some inspiration.

Last edited:
Need SURGERY and TRAINING of warband caliber. I want to have big blow out battles but it's such a set back without proper surgery. Even if you can beat a army 3-5 times your size almost every single troop that goes down is a death and then many looter chases to replace them.
AI needs these skills too, I don't trust the fix they were talking about for more t2+ units for the lords, I think in actuality they will still get beat down too often to ever make comeback after an initial loss. They need trainer and they need to go away from battles until stronger.

Just retreat.
Is there any difference between pressing tab and retreat and just running off the map? I've been having my troops fallow me off the map because in warband that gave much better results.

it`s the medieval ages mate, people used to die of a simple fever and here you are, asking for a modern 21 century ER and ICU units on the battlefield :smile:) if anything I think too many soldiers survive... Speed of movement in battle though should definitely be reduced. Your formations should engage enemy formations, not this formation vs closest enemy. Formations should have some more depth to the shapes you can make your soldiers take form in. Also It would help if they`d make it possible for just the right edge of your army to engage a cavalry charge for instance instead of all of them, make it so the AI stops charging the enemies if more than 2:1 proportion is achieved and that should pretty much solve it.

I don't use advance very much because if you use it for your whole army the cavalry just charge ahead of your infantry and archers. Calling halt then means your army stops in different positions.

I just use the point and click method to move my troops and stagger the commands so the whole army arrives at the right point at the same time.

It would be nice if when selecting whole army advance they all move as one at the speed of the infantry.

I never advance my entire army as one. I always move my formations seperatly. But a speed adjustment to the slowest would indeed be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom