Lorica Segmentata

Users who are viewing this thread

Kirsch27

Recruit
Ok,  now I'm sure anyone who comes into this thread is going to think I'm flaming at the use of the Lorica Segmentata as historically inaccurate.
WRONG.
I'm actually seeing a bunch of this and I think it's quite silly.
Firstly, based on the fact that this mod is a-historical by design. There was never a unified "Welsh" Domain in the 5th century, which controlled all of wales with a centralized state, nor was there any centralized authority spreading beyond one or two Cities in all of Eire. And don't even get me started on the Picts.
The point of this mod (And indeed the base game) is fantasy, and entertainment. Want Historical Accuracy? I would highly recommend buying Rome:Total War and using the Europa Barbarorum mod which can be found with a quick search on Google (not sure about any sort of rule against posting the link to their site.)
However, this is a much more fun game in my opinion.
Secondly, the Lorica Segmentata was ACTUALLY almost certainly still in use by many people. Officers would often times be using this armor, if not perhaps the regular legionaries. The only reason the legions stopped using them uniformly was the high expense of building and upkeeping them. A high ranking officer would certainly be able to afford the best armor available, and the segmentata was superior to anything the britons had ever seen or used for quite a time. While a bit before this time, I would point you to the Arch of Constantine as evidence that they were used uniformly by his armies in the first half of the 4th century (300's A.D.). This mod is set in the early-middle 5th century (400's A.D.).  By this time the lorica segmentata would have become quite rare for a low ranking legionary, but a wealthy centurion, and most certainly a high ranking marshal would have wanted to own a suit of high quality armor, and the lorica segmentata would have been a rather common choice still.

So feel free do research, model, texture, rig, UV map armour and then implement them into the game, add it to troops, lords and stores  :wink:

I don't get it. Are you complaining that it isn't historically accurate? Or have i read it wrong?

If I got it right it was him saying this is historically inaccurate but saying its better this way so he doesn't get flamed to death.

They follow the main events of The Roman empire and Britain exactly.  It's just his ways of explaining the legend of Arthur that aren't historically accurate.

I locked this topic! Now I unlocked it! Plant cells have a cell wall, but animal cells do not.
"Behold!" said the old helmsman, "there goeth Zarathustra to hell!"

I am not sure if I have been lucky enugh to see this "lorica segmentata" in game yet. Can someone post its stats here? Ca. values are ok, since there are many different: cracked, battered, normal, thick, reinforced.... Just post stats for the normal one. Or something around the normal one's.

Check out the screenies thread.  There are a couple different version ranging from 41-8 to 49-14 or something.

Hello... Some may see my intervention as pedantic, but given my main interest (ie late 5th century Romano-british re-enactment) I think I can clear a bit some views.

Secondly, the Lorica Segmentata was ACTUALLY almost certainly still in use by many people. Officers would often times be using this armor, if not perhaps the regular legionaries. The only reason the legions stopped using them uniformly was the high expense of building and upkeeping them. A high ranking officer would certainly be able to afford the best armor available, and the segmentata was superior to anything the britons had ever seen or used for quite a time. While a bit before this time, I would point you to the Arch of Constantine as evidence that they were used uniformly by his armies in the first half of the 4th century (300's A.D.). This mod is set in the early-middle 5th century (400's A.D.).  By this time the lorica segmentata would have become quite rare for a low ranking legionary, but a wealthy centurion, and most certainly a high ranking marshal would have wanted to own a suit of high quality armor, and the lorica segmentata would have been a rather common choice still.

Lorica segmentata was only in use from the 1st century AD to the beginning or the 3rd century AD, by the legionnaries in the western part of the empire. Lorica hamata (mail) was the more widespread type of armor. It has some advantages that the segmentata hasn't. Flexibility for exemple. It also covers more of the body. Certainly, it is more vulnerable to thrusting damages. Both armors however got their own advantages.

There is no depiction of a segmentata after the 3rd century -at least to my knownledge - and the Arch of Constantine is certainly not depicting any kind of armor like this. Tunic-clad soldiers, lorica squamata (scale), thorax maybe, but no seggies.

That's said, there is the possibility of a recent find in Spain proves to be an early 5th segmentata part, it still requires further studies.

Back
Top Bottom