Lorica Segmentata Research

Users who are viewing this thread

:grin: just a quick look at the evolution of different types of 
Roman "Lorica Segmentata" armor designs, over the ages!
Updated with research done by M.C. Bishop, M. D. Thomas,
Raffaele D'Amato and Graham Sumner and others.
I also tried to include the corresponding artwork
from various other resources.

hope this proves helpful :wink: enjoy

4vKBrDu.jpg

Hf6IeYc.jpg

BeULvaw.jpg

hBC0QhV.jpg

2DRisZc.jpg

SFfxFsA.jpg

KV1WlMz.jpg

jGPBUds.jpg

gpXRVdK.jpg

(Late 1st century BC to Early 1st century AD)
Kalkriese type

fmqIlNz.jpg

aqy3TS2.jpg

HtE41wF.jpg

total_war1407174201_102.jpg

total_war1407174236_103.jpg

(1st to 2nd centuries AD)
Corbridge types - A, B & C

35-d179a83023.jpg

U9688aD.jpg

EtL4XFT.jpg

9zxq5Ux.jpg

yK0qfDK.jpg

WcDo2Br.jpg

YpiNo0E.jpg

i45IF0i.jpg

diZibfG.jpg

j8FiInf.jpg

(2nd century AD)
Stillfried type

PAyt2lZ.jpg

Hq8DmhU.jpg
EiYHAZO.jpg

(2nd to Early 4th centuries AD)
Newstead type

total_war1445767628_f1.jpg

VIi1w7q.jpg

sxVEokx.jpg

fZwtFTd.jpg

55-efe483d3b7.jpg
56-9caff05b7f.jpg

SM1e2US.jpg

Other designs

Possibly Ceremonial Variations
different types, including rounder designs and bronze plates...

Q0NwMcs.jpg

shO1lug.jpg

ZeXpGJY.jpg

tzZbXYD.jpg

uaAwT2e.jpg

WviZ9Vx.jpg

5VFeg0H.jpg
yonZ4Pu.jpg

h9uU6zM.jpg

hFBpfjT.jpg

(2nd century AD)
Leather Lorica Segmentata

Sarmatian Banded Armor

VdAl7wv.jpg

3AdP7le.jpg

h5g7h7S.jpg

Sarmatian Inspired Styles

XxqDcwf.jpg

WAiygeo.jpg

58V5OPV.jpg

WdjrFf0.jpg

NWBrjCw.jpg

paWl1MN.jpg

Leather Lorica Segmentata - advanced form

oWnZZwc.jpg

hQ3CZ3M.jpg

jAr58zi.jpg

9qOXszn.jpg

jzUiDjJ.jpg

Composite Styles

Arlon type - mail or leather and shoulder plates

jSotInr.jpg

P29RntP.jpg

et6s5wg.jpg

Wlr6OpM.jpg

yx0ThlO.jpg

Alba Iulia type - scale and plate

dagGuTb.jpg

05cUx0l.jpg

mpjmL7s.jpg

plate armor with mail chest pieces

t4PBasf.jpg

gbIu9qM.jpg

further reading:

:idea: Lorica Segmentata Volumes I: A Handbook of Articulated Roman Plate Armour
By  M.C. Bishop  :arrow: https://www.scribd.com/doc/3961788/Lorica-Segmentata-Volume-I-A-Handbook-of-Articulated-Roman-Plate-Armour
:idea: Lorica Segmentata Volume II: A Catalogue of Finds
By M. D. Thomas  :arrow: https://www.scribd.com/book/3976906/Lorica-Segmentata-Volume-II-A-Catalogue-of-Finds
:idea: Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier
By Raffaele D'Amato and Graham Sumner
:idea: Roman Army: wars of the empire - Brasseys History of Uniform
By Graham Sumner  :arrow: https://www.scribd.com/doc/30409353/Roman-Army-Brasseys-History-of-Uniform
:idea: Воины Рима. 1000 лет истории - Организация. Вооружение. Битвы
Warriors of Rome. 1000 years of history - Organization. Armament. Battles
written and illustrated by Silvano Mattesini and Marcella Mattesini

A lot of nice stuff. Especially the hybrids between Lorica Segmentata and other kinds of armour are exciting. A guy from the living history group I'm part of is working on some kind of Augustean plate/mail-hypbrid.  :smile:

But:
I don't want to be a killjoy but a lot of this stuff isn't very scientifical. Especially D'Amato is famous for his teleological approach regarding finding evidence for his "theories".
The whole line of argument for leather Lorica Segmentata is rather flawed.

Another problem (but connected to the leather Lorica) is to draw evidence solely from pictorial sources. To name just a few problems with that: Roman artists often worked very traditional and were heavily influenced by Greek models. Beyond that we don't know of these artist's slightest intention to be some kind of war photographers.

One example is this mosaic from Palestrina (Italy) often said to depict praetorians (because of the scorpion on one of the shields):

NileMosaicOfPalestrinaSoldiers.jpg

A few years ago I visited a conference where Graham Sumner spoke about possible rank insignia in the Roman army (very intersting topic!). He mentioned above paining as an example for a Roman copy of Greek art which gives zero evidence regarding Roman military.

Aaaand after a bit of searching for above picture I stumbled across this thread in the Roman army talk where Graham and a few other well educated guys talk about said mosaics importance. There's also some interesting stuff about the problem with pictorial evidence I rambled about above :wink:

RC-1136 said:
a lot of this stuff isn't very scientifical. Especially D'Amato is famous for his teleological approach regarding finding evidence for his "theories".

on the contrary  :cool: "Denial is not just a river in Egypt!"

Dr D'Amato is a pioneer, his book displays every archaeological item, studied from museum archives
and included in his research. Including actual surviving examples of leather lorica segmintata.
& speaking of Egypt, ...

LQFme9k.jpg

Slytacular said:
@RC: the mosaic has also been interpreted as a depiction of the Ptolemaic soldiers or Roman-Egyptian auxiliaries.
:wink:

59-556e23e5a2.jpg

matmohair1 said:
RC-1136 said:
a lot of this stuff isn't very scientifical. Especially D'Amato is famous for his teleological approach regarding finding evidence for his "theories".

on the contrary  :cool: "Denial is not just a river in Egypt!"

Dr D'Amato is a pioneer, his book displays every archaeological item, studied from museum archives
and included in his research. Including actual surviving examples of leather lorica segmintata.
& speaking of Egypt, ...

LQFme9k.jpg

As stated in the other threads: These pieces of leather could be anything. For D'Amato it's fitting to interpret them as belonging to armour. But this isn't much more than wishful thinking. I would rather interpret them among many other historians as part of a charioteer's equipment of which we actually know (!) that it was made that way!
IMG_2267.jpg

@Amontadillo
That's what I'm talking about.

@matmohair1
Indeed. This is why we still do research in history. But we have to be aware of the methodology we use if we want to get reliable results.

Aside from academia:
This is a very interesting thread on the Roman Army Talk. It begins with an Indian manufacturer trying to sell some leather loricas on their marketplace but the following discussion is very enlightening. Most noticeable would be the contributions on the first page by Graham Sumner as well as Dan Howard - you may know his great article about mail :wink:

most of the problem lies with today's manufactures
who make random leather items or movie props
based on studded biker fashion - they all show leather in a distorted
and pervasive way than what it could have been in realty. making it too common
than quilted armor and crafted in either too simplistic or too fantastical designs.

boiled leather on the other hand has been widely used
throughout the ages and is a better candidate - however,
to make things clear, the existence of such items shouldn't
give people a reason to replace all metal objects in representations with leather.

The problem with leather armour, is that all examples of leather armour have thicker and heavier pieces as their metallic counterparts. The fact that leather of that quality was also not cheap, does not lead me to believe that leather armour would be used in wide scale, and would not serve as an affordable alternative to an already existing metal armour.

Having a metal lorica segmentata thus ends up weighing less for the same protection, and is ultimately cheaper as well. There serves no purpose to make something like lorica segmentata out of leather.

:smile: and that's why leather is probably more suited to an urban setting

rPWs4Ry.jpg

while Iron sets, are better deployed in frontier zones, where it made more sense..

zVRK7GD.jpg

I personally had the privilege of wearing lorica segmentata and I always wonder why did they not manage to go for a more "brigandine like" design;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Brigandine,_Italian,_c1470,_Royal_Armoury,_Leeds_(internal_view).JPG
http://ageofcraft.com/image/data/product/Body/Leeds/_05.jpg

Not only is it far easier to maintain and easier to repair(main reason it became so widespread in the late medieval era), but it also spreads the weight along the hips just like a medieval breastplate does, unlike the lorica seg. which basically puts most of the weight on your shoulders.

I realize massive scale production is main reason for designs simplicity, but I doubt that the torso's of Roman soldiers differed so much that they would have trouble with the armor being fitted if they just made the waist a a bit more "corset like".

Mamlaz said:
I personally had the privilege of wearing lorica segmentata and I always wonder why did they not manage to go for a more "brigandine like" design;
Maybe they didn't think of it. It's like stirrups or wheelbarrows which we also would consider to be relatively easy to invent or even the wheel itself. Even some highly developed civilisations didn't think of inventing some of those.

I personally was often surrounded by guys wearing lorica segmentata but as being a fan of mail (or scale armour) I always preferred wearing lorica hamata.

The laminated pauldrons on a lorica hamata seems like it would have been very widespread.

The head and shoulders are basically the only part of the body that aren't covered by the mighty defense of the scutum(which has become  very underrated as of late).

Crupellarius Gladiators, Aedui Revolt, under Julius Florus
and Julius Sacrovir, suppressed by Gaius Silius
- 21 AD

"There was also a party of slaves training to be gladiators. Completely encased in iron in the national fashion,
these crupellarii, as they were called, were too clumsy for offensive purposes but impregnable in defense…
…the infantry made a frontal attack. The Gallic flanks were driven in. The iron-clad contingent caused some delay,
as their casing resisted javelins and swords. However the Romans used axes and mattocks and struck at their plating,
and its wearers like men demolishing a wall. Others knocked down the immobile gladiators with poles or pitchforks,
and, lacking the power to rise, they were left for dead.
"

Cornelius Tacitus (117 CE), Annales III:40-46
:arrow: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Tacitus/Annals/3C*.html

In AD 21, the Revolt of Florus and Sacrovir saw an army of Gallic rebels, fronted by heavily
armoured gladiators called crupellarii, march north out of Augustodunum (Autun) to take on
Roman legionaries in open battle. The armour successfully negated the pila and gladii of the
legions, but the legionaries merely resorted to their pioneer tools – axes and mattocks – to
hack their way to victory over the gladiators. Osprey - Weapon 51 - The Gladius

8NZpprZ.jpg

K6BXVe1.jpg

Y5GNeTZ.jpg

AmXM0QY.jpg

ceF25Jd.jpg

Holy hell that is epic :eek:

Probably defeated  in such a manner because they lacked formation training.

Back
Top Bottom