Lord's Changed (secretly)

Users who are viewing this thread

There's a mod called Detailed Character Creation which allows you, among other things, to edit the appearance of any NPCs in the game, just like your own character (and adds more settings, but we won't need that here).

When you install it, it adds a button called "edit appearance" in the Encyclopedia entry for lords and the like. Open the entry for Abagai (N - Heroes - Abagai), click "edit appearance", then when the editor is opened, press Ctrl + C

It copies the "body code" that is currently in the character editor in your clipboard. In that case, it will be Abagai.

Paste the result in some txt document of your choosing and save it.

Now if you copy that code into the clipboard and press Ctrl + V when editing character appearance, it will change the character you're editing to that face and body.

Once you create a new save, you can use the Encyclopedia again to paste that face onto NPCs in-game (find Abagai again, open the editor from her page, then Ctrl + V), or you can use it in character creation to make YOUR character look like Abagai. Once you save changes and then save the game, the face will be set for that save, so you don't even need DCC active anymore. It doesn't carry over to other playthroughs, though, so keep the code saved.

There's probably a more optimal solution or a mod that returns old faces, but I'm unaware of such. If you have the save with old Abagai face, you just need to install the mod and copy her code, so that's easy enough as is.
Thank you for the clear instructions much appreciate it! I am staying away from mods at least at this stage before the game is finished. If her appearance won't change in saves of the current version I think I take my chances and consider this option for a future new start.

Do you mean that every time you start the new campaign on the same version of the game, the appearance of the Lords change randomly? :grin:
I noticed on my last restart that some, but not all, of the lords look very different. Others look exactly the same. I'm not sure what this indicates, but it did change my marital choices..

Thank you for the clear instructions much appreciate it! I am staying away from mods at least at this stage before the game is finished. If her appearance won't change in saves of the current version I think I take my chances and consider this option for a future new start.
No problem.

As for DCC, it's rather lightweight. It isn't adding any new values to the game, just a way to modify values that ARE in the game, but have no sliders to change them. NPC faces follow the exact same pattern PC faces do, so, nothing new there either. To my understanding you shouldn't face any problems (no pun intended) with the save should you decide to use it and then delete it.

If you don't feel like messing with face editors right now, however, I'm sure someone is already making a mod to change faces back in one package. That's the benefit of having a moddable engine with a vibrant modder community on top of that xD.

To my knowledge, the NPC faces are normally set once and then never changed in an unmodded game. So while you stick to that save, the face should remain the same. Might be wrong about that though.

Some characters look better. Lucon and Pharon, two older imperial lords, look excellent. They look properly distinguished.

Not a big fan of the Ira changes. Those seem intentional -- she looks more like her mother. But her old, angular face looked more warlike. Now she has a ton of makeup, and that seems out of character.

I don't expect much about npc preset from Bannerlord anymore because Taleworlds clearly downgraded character creation system. You can just look the npc designs from 2015-17 gameplay videos and then compare them with current ones. Especially the ones from PC Gamer 2016 Gameplay videos.

This is the reason for not to start the new playthrough. New faces are awful, Abagai in particular, the old one is much more cute. The new one looks like a man with awful military make-up. Many lords look also horrible, it looks like they've taken their inspiration from those cringy carricatures from cartoons for kids.

And have you seen the new face of Mesui? Her old design represents her as a woman who survived a slaughter (the scar and the blind eye reminds her of it). The new face is just crap.

BRING BACK OLD FACES!
There is no plastic surgery in the Middle Ages

There is no plastic surgery in the Middle Ages
I have a feeling "not having plastic surgery" doesn't equate to "everyone had dead eyes, a melting Lego minifigure face, and a jaw the size of a 18-wheel truck". Can't say I know too much about Middle Ages to back that up though.

The dudes look mostly human on my save, the ladies don't. I'm not speaking modern beauty standarts here, I just don't think those face features are anatomically possible.

There seems to be an overreliance on the "face asymmetry" slider in the current npc face generator that makes most city notables look like melting chocolate bunnies. Creepy stuff.

Last edited:
This is the reason for not to start the new playthrough. New faces are awful, Abagai in particular, the old one is much more cute. The new one looks like a man with awful military make-up. Many lords look also horrible, it looks like they've taken their inspiration from those cringy carricatures from cartoons for kids.

And have you seen the new face of Mesui? Her old design represents her as a woman who survived a slaughter (the scar and the blind eye reminds her of it). The new face is just crap.

BRING BACK OLD FACES!
Look at the Battanian women. Horrible faces now.

It's interesting how the nations of this game are basically the influences that have impacted Anatolia in its long history

Sturgian are Russian influence with a hint of Viking/Varangian influence down the Volga trade route, Azerai represent Middle Eastern inluence, Khuzaits represent the Steppe turks and others, the Empire represents Greco-Roman influence, and the vlandians represent Western Europe.

I have a feeling "not having plastic surgery" doesn't equate to "everyone had dead eyes, a melting Lego minifigure face, and a jaw the size of a 18-wheel truck". Can't say I know too much about Middle Ages to back that up though.

The dudes look mostly human on my save, the ladies don't. I'm not speaking modern beauty standarts here, I just don't think those face features are anatomically possible.

There seems to be an overreliance on the "face asymmetry" slider in the current npc face generator that makes most city notables look like melting chocolate bunnies. Creepy stuff.
5d8ce2c91e000030007354fb.png
The worse its coming

The worse its coming
See, that's anatomically possible asymmetry. It doesn't stem from one half of the face drifting away from the other on the vertical axis, like the person had been spending 12h a day in their childhood compressing their skull diagonally. Really the vibe I'm getting from random bannerlord faces.

Asymmetry is the norm in real human faces. Just not the kind we get to do with the character editor sliders

See, that's anatomically possible asymmetry. It doesn't stem from one half of the face drifting away from the other on the vertical axis, like the person had been spending 12h a day in their childhood compressing their skull diagonally. Really the vibe I'm getting from random bannerlord faces.

Asymmetry is the norm in real human faces. Just not the kind we get to do with the character editor sliders
Just me who found the bannerlord design very cartoonized?

All of the Lords skills are ridiculously high compared to the player. We start with 0, they are rolling with 120, so leet.

But seems the same of older lords. If clan leader has young sons they can add some brother or cousin with good stats. Few non combat ladies start with 100 charm and riding and zero everything else.
I think they just use some template to speed up the work, right now it count the position (clan leader with much skills) while the age is meaningless (some case like Caladog is justified by the lore that has higher skills for his age since he was a military genius against the emperor, other by gameplay because if your brother is weaker than you in tutorial he is useless).
They could give some final touch, for example this girl shouldn't be good with crossbow while Golden Boar guys shouldn't be good as her with a bow. Also Vlandia king should have worse combat skills than his lieutenants since lore says he isn't an action man.

I honestly thought maybe the nobles appearance was RNG after starting my second playthrough.

Just me who found the bannerlord design very cartoonized?
I have that feeling, to an extent. Something about the eyes is off, I just can't put it into words yet. Probably the look of surprise every notable has 100% of the time.

I'm fine with that, though. Just can't get the "melt one half of the face off" slider out of my mind yet. xP

Last edited:
I also like the new Abagai to be honest, not as good as her old version though, but the new Mesui looks like a ghost.

Edit: BTW, just did a quick check over other characters, it seems that Arwa changed a lot as well. And the new Top1 waifu character from Aserai is now Manan. So guess there is a lose but also there is a gain.

Also an interesting finding, that if you look at new Ira's skin color, it seems that she is half Aserai, so who was her real father? Unless the former emperor was an Aserai.

Last edited:
For me the decision to make characters more 'cartoonish' is one of the better they could make about their appearances.

Realistic style may seems better considering the 'brutal' medieval era, but then it makes characters less distinguishable from each other, therefore forgettable. It's known truth, that you'd recognize person faster when looking at caricature than seeing their fully realistic painting. And, when you compare Warcraft III and Oblivion answer which game looks better now (first one came out in 2003, second one in 2006). Oblivion tried to be realistic, and it was! Every reviewer was delighted by it's graphics!

But now Warcraft 3 still looks good (maybe little 'pointy') when Oblivion seems... shiny?

You may say: 'That makes them less serious! How can I swear oath to a Popeye?!'

Well...

Firstly: It's not Popeye cartoon level. It's more like CIV V level, which is halfway through being 'realistic' and 'cartoonish'.

Secondly: Look at 'The Walking Dead', 'Wolf Among Us' or other Telltale's games. Graphics there are much more stylized than on new lords' portraits but it didn't make those games feel less serious. Instead you had no problem telling who is who and you emotionally attached to characters with ease.

Thirdly: It gives them personality. Take any actor. They are real people, so they look realistic (no way!) but they can get into any role, have any personality, according to their role in the movie. But when you take Obelix' picture you instantly know who he is. Maybe you don't know, that he has some traumatic story with soup drowning, but you certainly see that he's good-hearted, likes eating and barbarian. Through more stylized images you can show at least half the things, that you'd must tell if you only had a photo.

Back
Top Bottom