Lords and Realms RCM (Realistic Combat Model) (Version 1.508+)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Conners

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
0
I suggest the implementation of Ron Losey's popular RCM. This game already features much interesting detail and realism--the RCM would bring the battle between armoured knights to near-reality, immersing the players even more fully in this medieval setting.

Actually, I think the RCM stats will make the mod easier in a lot of ways. Metal armour is a lot more effective now, and arrows do cutting instead of piercing damage so you won't be pincushioned. I found long spears/pikes the most difficult part of the game (since M&B's engine can distinguish the shaft from the blade of the spear), but now they're less effective on armour slower as per realism.

So, unless some factor is being forgotten by me, I think the game will actually be easier once you get some good armour. It'll only be a .txt download and you'll be able to keep your saves, so you could try it out once it's finished.


EDIT: I have the file up: http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=8&lid=1328 (for L&R Version 1.508+)
This is only the first version, so quite a few items will be wrongly statted, or even left entirely till I get some advise. Play around with it if you like, the majority of it should be fine.

Credits:
Thanks goes to Ron Losey for the help he gave me, and to NICK.ALTMAN for allowing me to create this add-on for his great mod.
Great thanks goes to jordan for his ItemEditor which made this add-on possible, and to Moss for showing me this program.
 

Vympel

Grandmaster Knight
Best answers
0
Allready made a realism conversion of 1.4 a while ago did not feel like remaking it for 1.5 it was quite challenging as I recall cuz you get one hit killed with light armor.And kings are seriously wooping ass after the boost i gave them.
 

Conners

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
0
Here's a thread that talks about the RCM for mods: http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,348.0.html
Ron has also said that if you have any questions you can contact him directly.

As for the realism conversion, it was always a one-hit one-kill with light armour? Even with no armour, you can occasionally survive a hit (a bad hit, but still), so maybe the numbers weren't quite right? Wouldn't know so much about that.
Since the RCM is already done, supposedly it'd be easier to integrate than remaking your realism model? In the end it should be worth it, even if the RCM is an addition players can download separately and add on for those who wish to.

Well, look over the thread I guess. While I'll try to help with questions, you'll probably need to speak with Ron for anything complex.
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Conners said:
Here's a thread that talks about the RCM for mods: http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/topic,348.0.html
Ron has also said that if you have any questions you can contact him directly.

As for the realism conversion, it was always a one-hit one-kill with light armour? Even with no armour, you can occasionally survive a hit (a bad hit, but still), so maybe the numbers weren't quite right? Wouldn't know so much about that.
Since the RCM is already done, supposedly it'd be easier to integrate than remaking your realism model? In the end it should be worth it, even if the RCM is an addition players can download separately and add on for those who wish to.

Well, look over the thread I guess. While I'll try to help with questions, you'll probably need to speak with Ron for anything complex.
I did some reading. So basically he remakes the items.txt giving different stats to weapons and armors, right? I find Lords very hard as it is and RCM would make it insanely hard. If maybe you or Ron wants to make an optional add on of RCM for L&R it's fine by me. I'll give you a sticky topic but I don't want to add to standard release.
 

Conners

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
0
@NICK.ALTMAN : As for RCM making Ls&Rs insanely hard, it shouldn't really... While the enemies do more damage, you're also doing more damage to them--so it merely makes it more strategic. Of course it might make starting out more tricky, before you can afford small armies and good equipment to kill the well-armed bandits, but it should be the same more or less once you get past that curve. Also, armour is more effective in the RCM (as per IRL), so it might actually increase your chances of survival.
If you have some free time, you might want to try out the Native RCM and see what I mean. He recently added a bleeding script (with some help from a coder) by the way, though I'm not sure if it's in the Native RCM or not.

I'll ask Ron about optional add-ons for you, since the RCM isn't for everyone (though I do think everyone should try it at least once :p).


@D_akbar: Basically, it makes the combat realistic. One good stab can kill a man if he isn't well-armoured, wounds cause men to bleed into submission eventually, etc..
 

udm

Regular
Best answers
0
I remember RCM. I don't know about light armor, but as far as I can remember, heavy armor was a *****. I forgot what mod used it, but the mod featured town sieging, and heavily armored units were almost unkillable thanks to RCM. One battle involving only 8 units could take as long as 5 minutes. I don't know if it's been changed since then, but it didn't sit well with me
 

Conners

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
0
It's true that swords don't have so much effect on heavy armour, as per realism... However, armour-piercing weapons can make your enemies quite killable--even with swords, I found I could mow down a few heavily armoured units with a bit of doing. What weapon were you using against what sort of armour?


@Nick: I've talked with Ron, and he says he can rig up an optional download without too much trouble. I guess he might need to talk to you to set it up, though. Not quite sure how you should do it... maybe MSN? I'm linking him to this thread, anyway--so if you post some sort of contact information, he should see it and be able to contact you via it.
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Conners said:
It's true that swords don't have so much effect on heavy armour, as per realism... However, armour-piercing weapons can make your enemies quite killable--even with swords, I found I could mow down a few heavily armoured units with a bit of doing. What weapon were you using against what sort of armour?


@Nick: I've talked with Ron, and he says he can rig up an optional download without too much trouble. I guess he might need to talk to you to set it up, though. Not quite sure how you should do it... maybe MSN? I'm linking him to this thread, anyway--so if you post some sort of contact information, he should see it and be able to contact you via it.
OK. Tell him to PM me.
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Conners said:
Told him. I guess you'll hear from him soon.
Well, Conners, the deal is like this. If you want to do it, as an add on, me and Ron will give you the neccessary logistics.
 

Conners

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
0
? Meaning you send me the numbers and I put the revised word doc up for download? Haven't really done that before, though I guess it isn't too hard to put an item on the repository?

If that's the case, sounds fine, I guess... go ahead and send me the numbers.

Once I've finished, how about I start a thread with a link to the add-on and you sticky it?
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Conners said:
? Meaning you send me the numbers and I put the revised word doc up for download? Haven't really done that before, though I guess it isn't too hard to put an item on the repository?

If that's the case, sounds fine, I guess... go ahead and send me the numbers.

Once I've finished, how about I start a thread with a link to the add-on and you sticky it?
I have no numbers. Just take the text files that you need, correct them, and then upload them.
 

Conners

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
0
You mean correct them after I've been instructed by Ron how to...? Because unlike Ron, I'm not a combat expert with skill in interpreting combat into M&B gameplay. I don't mind correcting word docs, but I don't know how to without instructions.
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Conners said:
You mean correct them after I've been instructed by Ron how to...? Because unlike Ron, I'm not a combat expert with skill in interpreting combat into M&B gameplay. I don't mind correcting word docs, but I don't know how to without instructions.
It's time to learn, boy.  :wink:
 

Conners

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
0
....Seriously? It's possible for me to do some weapons if I can compare the txt files from other RCM mods, but I'd probably be halted by stranger weapons and names I couldn't place.

Am I really meant to do this by myself :shock:...?
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Conners said:
....Seriously? It's possible for me to do some weapons if I can compare the txt files from other RCM mods, but I'd probably be halted by stranger weapons and names I couldn't place.

Am I really meant to do this by myself :shock:...?
Well Ron said he would instruct you, I'll give you the logistic but the bulk of the work has to be done by you. There is an old saying: "Be careful what you wish for...boy."
 

Conners

Sergeant at Arms
Best answers
0
OK. According to Ron, it isn't as hard as I think. I already have Lords and Realms (the latest version), so do I already have the file I need to edit? If not, send it to me or link me to where I can get it.

Wish me luck...
 

NICK.ALTMAN

Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
Conners said:
OK. According to Ron, it isn't as hard as I think. I already have Lords and Realms (the latest version), so do I already have the file I need to edit? If not, send it to me or link me to where I can get it.

Wish me luck...
Good luck, Auzzie!