Lords ALWAYS want peace at exactly the wrong time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Doofus

Sergeant
Why is it the reasoning behind lords wanting peace is ALWAYS faulty? At least 3 times in this play session my lords have asked for peace WHILE WE HAVE AN ONGOING BATTLE TO TAKE A TOWN OR CASTLE. They can't wait for us to get the advantage of a holding before looking for peace? Once this session they asked for peace and I declined it...6 hours later they asked for peace again. Well, that cost me over 4000 influence to say '**** off, jerks'. I can have 20 enemy lords prisoner, outnumber the enemy by 12k to 2k, and they still want peace. Of course when we are warring 3 empires and I propose peace with one we have basically broke even against they strongly oppose me. My influence has dropped from over 16k at the start of this session to below 9k now. Pretty soon I'll be at the mercy of these imbeciles who are only happy accepting peace if they've lost holdings in the war.

Edit: Shortly after typing this post I made peace with the Northern Empire, which is what most of the above is about. We had gotten back what they had taken and we were at peace. About 15 minutes after that the Sturgians declared war, they are one of the larger empires in my game. 10 minutes later the idiots in my kingdom decide they want to declare war (100%) on the Western Empire (another large one). At the time we have the enemy besieging a castle that no one is heading to defend and Balgard (ours) being besieged with 3 of our armies heading there to defend it, but my opinion is none of them will reach it on time. So they basically want to lose the 5 holdings we have taken in the past from Sturgia so they can fight what might be a stalemate to the Western Empire. By the end of the night I think its likely I'll have lost the 16+k influence I had at the start of the night.

Sorry for the rant, but many times I feel the logic for peace is exactly opposite what it should be.

Here's a couple other minor tidbits...

Why is it when I am leading the army and I am the ruler, I get LAST choice of reinforcements, even if its one of my holdings? I should get 1st choice, at least for 3 or 4 troops, then let them pick.

Why is it when I win a battle and a companion dies, their stuff isn't automatically moved to the loot at the end? Why can't I at least be prompted 'Do you want your dead companion's stuff?' (I do try to loot it, but occasionally forget). Also, when a family member who is part of my party dies of old age, why can't I have the opportunity to at least get back the stuff I gave them, if I don't have the opportunity to get everything they have?

Why can't the kingdom strength actually reflect the total of all the armies of the lords in the kingdom (plus mercs) instead of including the town/castle defenses? I would like to know how my empire's fighting force matches against theirs. If I have 20 of their lords in prison, do they even have a fighting force? Should I expect an army of 1k to try to stop me from taking a town or do they only have a total of about 300 mobile troops?

I have occasionally put suggestions like this on the technical page hoping someone would look at them and say 'Oh, that makes sense. That would be an easy fix and we should do it." But instead they always move the post here to be lost where no Dev will ever see it.

Last edited:
Why can't I at least be prompted 'Do you want your dead companion's stuff?'
During the looting phase, you can still switch character to your dead companion and strip them naked. Just give them something to wear tho, or it would look really weird on the encyclopedia. A bunch of naked dead guys.

About the peace thing I agree with you. The AI doesn't seem to put current movements like armies, battles and sieges into account when deciding peace.

Grank, as I said, I do loot dead companions/family who died in battle...but I also forget sometimes and there's no prompt for it. Also, if a family member dies of old age there's no way I know of to get their stuff. I realize they don't die of old age often, but it does happen.

Here's another little ditty...why do Trebuchets damage walls? I realize in real life that was their purpose, but I've never seen an actual hole in a wall in game. I use them to kill catapults. Unless they change things so you can actually fully destroy walls in game (without waiting an hour) they shouldn't even target walls.

Here's another little ditty...why do Trebuchets damage walls? I realize in real life that was their purpose, but I've never seen an actual hole in a wall in game. I use them to kill catapults. Unless they change things so you can actually fully destroy walls in game (without waiting an hour) they shouldn't even target walls.
They do knock down walls. So do catapults. Every siege scene has variations for single or double wall destruction.

I got a mod from nexus that made Lords constant demand for new wars cancelled. Now I wish I had a mod that did overrule them on wanting peace too, lol.

Maybe the lords are sieging with the intent of extorting money from the other kingdom and don’t want the responsibility of a new fief? You’re ruining their extortion plans with delusions of expansion.

Apocal, while I've seen damaged walls, I've never actually seen one knocked down enough to create a hole for my troops to go through. Seems like you would have to be sieging it for an awful long time. You would, of course, have to disband and gather your troops a few times to accomplish that, although thats not too difficult. But half the time I summon lords to my army they immediately start mooching food off me. Do you bring 1k food to the siege? Also, if I am doing an extended siege, I'll lose at least 3 or 4 holdings before its done. I certainly can't count on my lords to do much more than stop even 1/2 the sieges the enemy starts, particularly if I'm in multiple wars. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

Yep. My night's not even done yet and I already don't have enough influence to get them to accept my decision. 17k influence is not enough to get your kingdom's lords to see reason in respect to making peace or continuing war, in what is probably a season or two in-game. Now I can watch my empire crumble over the next few days before giving up on winning this game..

Apocal, while I've seen damaged walls, I've never actually seen one knocked down enough to create a hole for my troops to go through. Seems like you would have to be sieging it for an awful long time. You would, of course, have to disband and gather your troops a few times to accomplish that, although thats not too difficult.
Around seven days for level three walls vs. three or four trebs. And no, I didn't have to disband and gather troops a few times, because there is a button to boost up your army's cohesion without disbanding.

The AI never does it, so if you're fighting in AI armies a bunch, you'll go through a lot of sieges without ever seeing it happen though.

I've seen them becoming way more likely to accept peace with one side if our overall strength becomes less than those 2 we fight combined so whenever we start having 2 wars at the same time, I allow one army to get crashed by hanging near it with my 250 men but not join the fight when they engage so they lose and get captured. Extremely treasonous, yes, but this is what those thick heads deserve.

Needless to say the opposite works as well so unless we suffer a serious blow, allies are not likely to accept any peace with either side. I hope TW finds a fix for this though remembering all the peace declarations in warband during in the middle of sieges, I don't see it happening soon.

Last edited:
Huh. Never seen a button to boost cohesion. Its kind of not a big deal to disband and regather everyone, but I'll have to look for the cohesion button. That would make it easier.

Huh. Never seen a button to boost cohesion. Its kind of not a big deal to disband and regather everyone, but I'll have to look for the cohesion button. That would make it easier.

I think it’s on the upper right hand side of the army tab within the kingdom tab. It costs influence but that’s definitely worth it. But I’ve not looked for a hot minute.

As far as kingdoms declaring peace goes, remember that it's not just your nation involved. If you flip some of the scenarios you've given (ex: you're about to lose a big town) it makes sense that the people on the losing end would want to declare peace before they lose more. It can definitely be annoying on the player side, I kind of wish declaring peace could be a series of dialogue checks between the two rulers with clans influencing different choices.

Another problem I run into is that council decisions are almost always unanimous. It would be great if lords traits could change their decisions so it's not always 100% vs 0%.

BugFat, yeah, I could understand if a lord with Western Empire heritage wants to attack the Western Empire, even when it doesn't make sense. I might understand a lord with holdings next to the Western Empire. But when its a lord thats not within 5 towns of them and we're already at war, it makes no sense for 100% to want to war them. It also irritates me that I can destroy another empire, they have few available troops left, they still have holdings, but the empire next to them declares on me instead of declaring on them.

Anyways, despite my best efforts, I've now had war non-stop involving all the other kingdoms at one point or another & we're back to the empires that I started against, and made peace with, coming back for another round. I've been at war with an average of about 3 kingdoms at a time the whole time. I've managed to gain lords and I destroy everyone I fight, but I have 1/3rd the number of troops I started with and only 1/2 of them are even decent troops. Guess its time to quit this game and start another. Can never come close to winning with the combination of lords whose IQ's are below 50 and enemies who always target me, even when they lose every war against me. I love the play style, but I wish Taleworlds would incorporate some common sense in the game.

cohesion-button.png

Yeah, the game desperately needs better UI indicators in places. You can play through the entire game without noticing some things.
BugFat, yeah, I could understand if a lord with Western Empire heritage wants to attack the Western Empire, even when it doesn't make sense. I might understand a lord with holdings next to the Western Empire. But when its a lord thats not within 5 towns of them and we're already at war, it makes no sense for 100% to want to war them. It also irritates me that I can destroy another empire, they have few available troops left, they still have holdings, but the empire next to them declares on me instead of declaring on them.

Anyways, despite my best efforts, I've now had war non-stop involving all the other kingdoms at one point or another & we're back to the empires that I started against, and made peace with, coming back for another round. I've been at war with an average of about 3 kingdoms at a time the whole time. I've managed to gain lords and I destroy everyone I fight, but I have 1/3rd the number of troops I started with and only 1/2 of them are even decent troops. Guess its time to quit this game and start another. Can never come close to winning with the combination of lords whose IQ's are below 50 and enemies who always target me, even when they lose every war against me. I love the play style, but I wish Taleworlds would incorporate some common sense in the game.
If you still have the savegame, mexxico would like to see it. [email protected]

I had seen that button before and wondered why I was getting an additional +10 cohesion. I didn't realize it was to add cohesion.

I should send the save in an e-mail? More or less unsolicited? Anything in particular he wants to look at it for?

Btw, sorry for my attitude. I really want the game to succeed. But in addition to the various things noted above, every time I have to wait 30 seconds for the party screen, loot screen, or something else to load it just puts me in a pissy mood & Its been going on since that 4/29 update.

Yeah, just tell him the "problems" you encounter with the campaign AI; like >3 wars and starting wars when far away etc.
The more info you give him the easier will be for him to reproduce the behavior and figure out why the AI acted that way. Mexxico is the one taking care of this part of the game.

Back
Top Bottom