looting doesn't feel good

Users who are viewing this thread

wannyboy

Sergeant
like the title say, the looting doesn't realy feel good. I was fighting a polish lord and defeated almost all of his troops, only 1 remained for the next round so we raped him like hell. However when i came to the loot screen after the match, i only got 1 gold and there was only 1 piece of armor in the loot screen. Isn't it way more logical that the loot of the entire party should be in there and not just that of the last battle?
Also, it's kinda weird that if you pick up a weapon while fighting and then go to the loot, it isn't there... YOU CANT LOOT A WEAPON YOU ARE HOLDING???
The same with horses, i mount an enemy horse but after the battle there are no horses to be looted. There should realy be some kind of fix to this

wannyboy said:
like the title say, the looting doesn't realy feel good. I was fighting a polish lord and defeated almost all of his troops, only 1 remained for the next round so we raped him like hell. However when i came to the loot screen after the match, i only got 1 gold and there was only 1 piece of armor in the loot screen. Isn't it way more logical that the loot of the entire party should be in there and not just that of the last battle?
Also, it's kinda weird that if you pick up a weapon while fighting and then go to the loot, it isn't there... YOU CANT LOOT A WEAPON YOU ARE HOLDING???
The same with horses, i mount an enemy horse but after the battle there are no horses to be looted. There should realy be some kind of fix to this

I'm suspecting that there is a problem with multi-stage battles and loot.  It's on my little notepad to investigate.

By the way nox the skill looting does almost nothing to raise looting you get from defeated enemies.

It just modifies the time and amount of loot you get from a village. Is it suposed to work that way?

Edit: HELLA HARD TO GET HUSSAR ARMOR FROM POLISH SCOUTS!!!

oh yeah i also noticed something strange:
I am quick travelling holding ctrl+space and suddenly some bandits get me. I didn't see their troop strenght so i pay 500 them to be sure i won't get raped. Afterwards i see there are only 10 bandits while i have a party of 15 so i attack them... and loot 70 gold... WHERE DID THAT 500 GO? If enemy's steal something from you, you should be able to loot it back. I think it was possible in warband since when i got killed while soloraping sea raiders, i just attacked them after they set me free and got all stuff back they stole from me. Why isn't that there anymore?

The loot you get after a battle isn't necessarily every single item from the battlefield, since your soldiers are entitled to a share of it (which probably ends up providing more income than the wages some of them are paid :razz:). This can be used to explain why you can pick up a saber from the battlefield, but then not find any in loot after the battle. While the player, as commander, could tell that hired soldier that he's not getting this particular saber, such a system would open the game up to abuse, I think. For instance, after a battle the player could go around picking up various weapons to guarantee them being in the loot table. Even if it were limited to what you were carrying, and not just items that you picked up and immediately dropped, that's still 4 items every single battle, even if the opposing force was tiny.

All that said, I do feel that large battles often don't provide good enough loot, even when the enemy forces have a lot of well equipped soldiers. For instance, I fought and defeated an enemy army last night that was a little over 100 total men (I had 81), and 20 of their soldiers were Swedish Reiters (along with a fair number of life guards, Scottish pikes/musketeers/swordsmen, etc...and not that much militia). All the loot after the battle, however, was total junk; none of it being anything that I or my companions would equip - even in the early portion of the game - and it didn't sell for much, either.

Contrast that with my army of ~60 men defeating 10 Swedish Reiter deserters, providing me with my current Crude Reiter Half-Armor. And, with a much smaller force, getting some Winged Hussar Armor from parties of 4 Winged Hussar deserters.

I think that the looting system randomly decides which soldiers you get loot from, so having 20 Reiters with 80 other soldiers may actually give you a worse chance at acquiring their good armor than beating a force of 10 Reiters and nothing else - even if the player's army is the same in both cases. Facing a larger number of foes will indeed give you more chance at a larger number of items, but when it's nothing but rusty thrusting swords and musketeer camisoles, that doesn't matter too much :razz:.

So I'd really like to see an increase in the quality of loot obtained from large battles with enemy nobles (in Warband too, for that matter), especially if item prices are going to remain very high.

but they don't use the stuff they steal from me (would be nice if certain bandits did however), it is just in their storage so there should be no problem at finding that storage and taking my stuff back, also, my troops should know those 500 gold were mine so they should also return them to me. They didn't pay to escape bandits so they shouldn't be looting the pay either

The reason you hardly ever get good loot is this: In Warband practically every armor or weapon had an abundance rating of 100. In WFaS the abundance rating is varied depending on the rarity of the item. For the merchandise in shops, this works quite well. But that is why good items are a rarity in the battlefield loot.

Since caravans are not the reliable money-makers they were in previous version, but good quality equipment is still in the five and six figure price range, it would help if the looting system was revised somewhat.

If the player manages to defeat an army of troops equipped with high level weapons and armor, I think at least one of those high level items ought to turn up in loot. It seems that no matter how many patrols I defeat, I only manage to get their lowest level gear as loot.

Maybe a guarantee of one item - major or minor - equipped by the single highest tier troop in an enemy force would be a good idea? Some battles may still leave you with junky loot, since you could still get a rusty saber, cracked pistol, tattered boots, etc...but you'd also be a lot more likely to get at least one nice item, which you can equip on yourself or a companion, or sell for a decent amount of money. And since it'd just be one item, and not a guarantee that it'd be the expensive armor/weapons, I don't really think that it'd be too over-the-top.

looting is all about balance. you don't really expect to get access to every item that falls, surely? you would be filthy rich, or at least have some really high end gear, after your first major faction battle.

Well I was making some research regarding that and I found out some interesting stuff.

Like some dude above said, let's say you fight 10-20 Swedish Reiters alone (They are deserters), kill them all and stuff.

Obviously you get loot. Although i found out the loot amount doesn't changes with advantage parameters, but by unit %. What? Well, let me give you examples:

You fight let's say a group of deserters, 20 winged Hussars. And an army of 300 polish bastards, with 80 winged Hussars.

Deserters % of Hussars = 100% - High chance to get some good Winged Hussar loot.

Army of polish bastards % of Hussars = About 27-30% - Low chances of getting some good Winged Hussar loot.

I fought today a group of deserters, 5 Swedish Reiters. I got TWO Swedish Rusty armors. TWO.

So, as you can see, it's a matter of how much does the % of a unity is in the army or group of enemies.

In the end = High unit variation = Higher loot variety and lower overall wuality

Low unit variation = lower loot variety and higher chances to get top stuff from what they wear

Trust me, I tested that.

Edit : My bad. It seems the lower the advantage gets to your side, the better the loot will become.

Regarding looting skill :

I edited my character to have looting to 10+4, the quality and quantity I get from troops is slightly raised, but almost nothing. Not worthy.

But it does makes village looting quicker and gives more loot, wich is the most profitable activity in the game so far.

i would say, troops loot from the field but you are the only one who can loot from the inventory. The troops are free to gather everything they can find but since i am the commander, i should get the right to gather the goods a caravan is carrying and stuff they stole from me

Not Necessarily, generally when an army got at the enemies baggage train (pretty much the same thing as a caravan) the soldiers would grab anything valuable they could find. It would take a stupid commander to demand that they give that stuff to the leadership.

Back
Top Bottom