Looter equipment and mechanics

Users who are viewing this thread

Currently they all wear rags have poor weapons and throw stones so does that mean they only just started their career as a looter ?
They should have a random assortment of weapons, pieces of armor and shields etc which simulates the stuff that they you know..... erm looted.
In the later game the sheer amount of small bands gets ridiculous.

Looter groups to have a leader higher level than the rest who has better gear than the rest
All looters to have a chance to spawn with something be it a weapon piece of armor or shield.
For balance and to represent their lack of training/knowledge a negative trait that reduces the effectiveness of any weapons/armor they use.
Possibly increase the item spawn chances as time goes by in game up to x chance
This would work well with my other suggestion about looters and bandits

In regards to the crazy clutter of small bandit groups on the map.
Bandit hideout spawn timers need to be longer.
As the game progresses it would make sense to combine most of these smaller groups into a few larger ones leaving just a few of the smaller groups roaming.
This reduces map clutter and combined with other implementations would keep them more relevant.
The larger groups make sense for a noble to deal with as they are a threat to trade etc in your realm while smaller groups should be dealt with by the local militia/garrison patrols.
Could also have mechanics in place where if you don't deal with the larger groups more rebels will flock to their banner.
Leading to full on bandit armies that can actually take a town/castle.
Thinking along the lines of Spartacus and Eunus the slave turned monarch.
This adds more depth to the game and incentive to the player to deal with them.

Small band clutter can get ridiculous
umCRCdk.jpg

qiMIhwo.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that's an example of "game logic", as in "MnB Looters are universally weak meatbags for combat skill training".

Seeing looters with actual loot on them would be fun, but we'd need some other training dummies - peasant rebels, levies gone AWOL, something at least.

I guess that's an example of "game logic", as in "MnB Looters are universally weak meatbags for combat skill training".

Seeing looters with actual loot on them would be fun, but we'd need some other training dummies - peasant rebels, levies gone AWOL, something at least.
It doesn't need to be crazy just give each of them say a 5% chance to spawn with 1 random piece of gear upto a certain value/tier.
i have solo'd large groups of looters np them having the odd random bit of gear wouldn't really change that it is just more immersive and makes logical sense.

Second this.
Yeah, good points. It would make sense if some of them would have a random bow that shoots sideways, a cracked spear, o a sword that is too big for them to yield properly. Couple of armors or helmets here or there.. Idea being that they stole that loot somewhere but can't even use it properly. Now their gear is more unified than some of the armies - they even wear same colour rags - should be a bit randomized. couple greens or blacks in there..

I also think that naturally every group of looters should have a leader, that is slightly better equiped than all other looters, Maybe stand behind the group "and give commands of sorts"..

Given the fact that they can slaughter a few tier 5 or 6 units in autoresolve, I wouldn't mind some of them dropping something more than rags. Would make sense anyway.. lol

Second this.
Yeah, good points. It would make sense if some of them would have a random bow that shoots sideways, a cracked spear, o a sword that is too big for them to yield properly. Couple of armors or helmets here or there.. Idea being that they stole that loot somewhere but can't even use it properly. Now their gear is more unified than some of the armies - they even wear same colour rags - should be a bit randomized. couple greens or blacks in there..

I also think that naturally every group of looters should have a leader, that is slightly better equiped than all other looters, Maybe stand behind the group "and give commands of sorts"..
Exactly

Make the leader one tier higher. That means slightly higher skills and a reasonable chance of having one or two pieces of marginally better gear, with a chance for a piece of that to become available to the player upon victory. The tattered rags, sticks, and stones really get to be pointless after about the 10th looter combat, and the possibility of facing a group with one or two better items would at least make it more entertaining and less repetitive.

Make the leader one tier higher. That means slightly higher skills and a reasonable chance of having one or two pieces of marginally better gear, with a chance for a piece of that to become available to the player upon victory. The tattered rags, sticks, and stones really get to be pointless after about the 10th looter combat, and the possibility of facing a group with one or two better items would at least make it more entertaining and less repetitive.
I like the idea of a bandit leader among them who would naturally take the best gear they find.
But they should all have a chance to spawn with something they are all so uniform it hurts.
They should be a mish mash of all sorts of equipment that doesn't fit them and they can't use correctly.
To balance things and represent this they could have a negative trait that makes any weapons or armor used less effective than it should be.
For example a helmet provides 20 protection but worn by a looter it only provides 10 etc this effect would be slightly lessened for the leader.

*Looters with random equipment or varying quality*
*Looter leader with slightly better equipment with a chance of spawning a random legendary quality equipment*
Add in also the part where a looter party with a leader can have 100+ blobs spawning in the map, sometimes they'll even spawn 200+ or so to give players something worth fighting on battle mode instead of autocalc-ing the results.

Too add more flavor; since there are already 'mountain bandits', 'steppe', 'desert', 'forest', and 'sea' variants, there should be 'normal' bandits spawning in open plain grass areas. Just think of these 'Bandits' as looters than can actually fight back, wearing either leather or linen armor, and while most of them will throw rocks at you some of them will be equipped with bows and javelins, except they're terrible at doing it because they have very low skills with low quality equipment (aside from the occasional rare loot spawn) unlike their more specialized cousins.

As for equipment; TW should add sling throwers for rocks and reclassify the Pila 'spear' as a throwing weapon.

Last edited:
what about a tier 2 seasoned looter, or something like that, the upgrade should give some more skill points (not many), and add some random piece of better gear, to simulate the loot accumulated in the looter career

maybe get also a tier 3 and create a mini troop tree like that of other bandits and/or mercenary clans:
looter -> experienced looter (t2) -> seasoned looter (t3)

(the names are examplres and could be changed with better alternatives)

the imperial upgrade path should be available for every tier of looters, but it should not necessarily be an upgrade tier-wise:
looter -> imperial recruit
experienced looter -> imperial infantryman
seasoned looter -> imperial trained infantry (or imperial vigla recruit, since as of now the empire is the only faction that does not have a bandit that upgrade in its noble troop tree)

a looter leader would also be a pleasant addition, better equipment, better skills, a looter party should always spawn with one, and if a party loose its leader it should seek another party with a leader and merge with it, or one of the higher tiers looters could became the new leader, maybe based on the amount of units remaining in the party (less than 10? search another party; more than 10 and with at least a t2 looter? one of the higher tier looters will be removed and a new leader is added)

also the leader and some of the t2-t3 looters could have horses

the leader could have an upgrade path too:
looter chief (t2) -> looter leader (t3) -> looter mastermind (t4)

(again, the names are examplres and could be changed with better alternatives)

more higher the tier of the leader, more looters he can take with him, for example:
t2 -> 30
t3 -> 50
t4 -> 75
if over the limit they should have disertion like other parties, or split in two parties, with one of the t2/3 looters promoted to leader of the new party

a party of looters could initially spawn with a t2 leader and 5-10 t1 looters, while the game keeps going more stronger parties can be spawned, like one with a t3 leader, 10-15 t1 looter and 1-5 t2 looters, and so on (based on time alone or other factors, like prosperity and security of the spawning area)

Last edited:
I agree OP (and comrades!)
I had the same remarks in the other "Looters" Thread: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/do-looters-add-anything-to-gameplay.420635/

The conclusion from my looters killing experiments: 2 main Hypothesis:
  1. "Looters" is a strange cult of men who like charging you with throwing rocks but don't like helmets or any others kind of stuff they may have looted during their Looting career. Maybe they preferred to sell all the stuff they loot and put all the fresh money in the Great Looters Bank for their kids?
  2. All looters you met have just started their Looting career. Their destiny is just to fail and die as soon as they embrace this great path. This is for the greater good.

Annex: What would be nice is to have random equipped looters, with random stuff (some guy with better armor, or just an helmet please, and why not a sword or two they have stolen in a tavern or whatever). Keep looters with bad stats but make random equipments (higher tier access, maybe similar to some rank 2-3 units). This way players would at least enjoy to see some funny looters running with extravagant outfit before dying. You win a smile at least.

+ I hope Looters will have at least different outfit based on their culture (area culture). Its breaks immersion when you see the same looters with the same clothes in desert and in mountains

M4gWbMH.jpg

I like the idea of a bandit leader among them who would naturally take the best gear they find.
But they should all have a chance to spawn with something they are all so uniform it hurts.
They should be a mish mash of all sorts of equipment that doesn't fit them and they can't use correctly.
To balance things and represent this they could have a negative trait that makes any weapons or armor used less effective than it should be.
For example a helmet provides 20 protection but worn by a looter it only provides 10 etc this effect would be slightly lessened for the leader.
Or a new wanderer type called outlaw boss, that the system generates and randomly given to a few outlaw groups like Looters, or Forest Bandits. They will have random equipment to represent some crime activity successfully done under his/her command. And the outlaw group with a wanderer boss should be able to merge other outlaws.

but we'd need some other training dummies - peasant rebels, levies gone AWOL, something at least.
I'd prefer a functional training skill. It's tedious and immersion breaking that I need to hunt down bands of rag-wearing hobos to level up my army instead of training and drilling them into shape

Back
Top Bottom