Looking for best defensive cities and castles in 3.8

Users who are viewing this thread

Hanikura

Squire
With most siege scenes changed , It would be interesting to know, what is your opinion on this topic  - what is the  best defensive city or castle currently?
Or may be top 5 best defensive fiefs? 

Easiest to hold against hordes of enemies basically.
What is your best result, against which enemy, and what was the composition of troops you have successfully used  (in fact, it would be interesting to know about failures as well ).

--
In 3.7 I would always aim for something easily defendable as my first fief (so, that you have chances to defend it, and can safely use it to store recruits, items, establish CKO etc. 
Oregar castle , Marleon , , or Poinsbruk. then mb Singal  - anyway, there were fiefs where you could exchange 1 defender`s life for 5 attacker`s lives .

---
I checked new Oregar - looks interesting, but not quite impressive like old legendary oregar from defender point of view. Those archers on towers , standing without any protection will have significant  rate of casualties, ( while one of the hardest part in old siege scene was to get rid of crossbows on the walls.)  but still have to check this castle in real siege, with normal troops.

--

New Marleon was nerfed by additional ladders , and that extra wall which forces enemies to take longer route , also serves as elevated ground for enemy`s ranged units, giving them much better angle to shoot at you. So, i am not sure whether it gives advantage to defenders at the end of the day...
Oh, and those defender`s archers who spawn on outer wall - what is their purpose ? to set records in quickest death?  :grin:
Have to besiege and defend it couple more times though, to get better impression.

--
Some other cities i saw being besieged - not by huge overwhelming force  btw...  attacker only had like 300-400 soldiers advantage  (and quality advantage) , so not even the worst scenario for defenders.

--
- Javiksholm - well, fierd`s cities were never great for defense anyway . I see  little advantages for defender.
They trade inevitable losses at outer wall , against slightly more time for attacker to reach inner wall , that has 2 ladders (and it seems like enemies charging on left ladder will agro  a lot of archers , forcing them to melee.
Overall - numbers vs numbers.
--

Ravenstern (the city) - rather bloody siege for attackers, with only defenders having access to the outer wall , and shooting from many directions . However, this outer wall does not give archers any protection from fire when attackers shoot from that inner yard.
Anyway, without sufficient numbers on defender side, it will be hard to prevent attacker from taking walls.
So , it looks better than some other cities, but does not feel like mighty impenetrable fortress .
--

Poinsbruk - obviously got nerfed with that huge hole in walls , so it is more like trading life for life now. Not sure if i could still prevent it from being sacked by Wolfbode in its current state (in previous version it was almost enough to join defenders on actual siege, with some tough companions on your side, and you could beat that barbarians. )
--

Avendor - not sure if its scene has changed (haven`t besieged or defended  it in previous version) - besides from dealing some damage to attackers while they draw siege tower, it seems to be another numbers vs numbers style city .
--

Janos - this one was bloody as well, but i would attribute it more to armored crossbowmen in garrison , not so much to the scene itself probably.
Attackers start to fight on the walls pretty soon, and inevitably push fight on the stairway  .  Defenders (they were empire troops in my case) had a good shots with their throwing weapons when attacker were on the stairway, so there will be another opportunity to shoot/throw .
Also, attacking AI in many cases ignored crossbows on the left tower (they were killed last) .
But again - yeah, it was bloody for attacker, but he have not outnumbered defenders too much , and city itself  doe not look that defendable - blood bath for both sides .

-----
so far i haven`t seen any castle or city that would match old oregar or at least old marleon.
All i saw - was mostly about numbers vs numbers , and i can`t imagine defending something like this  against truly overwhelming forces , unless you go for some AI abuse and stuff like this.

As attacker you don`t really feel The Pain also . :smile: More like your crowd fighting against small enemy crowd , and yours usually winning , unless you brought farmers and militia.

Knudarr castle got my attention.
The attackers come through the gate and if they breach it they turn right. Archers fire at them from three directions. It just gets ugly.

Kelderan castle seems to have the longest path for Siege tower to move to the walls. I managed to defend it with my 500 garrison + party vs 3000 D'Shar army (3/4 damage to allies and half to player mode).

Excellent thread, maybe we could gather screenshots of the starting scene as you can kind of judge the defense/attack from these.

Gunders Lodge,
My current HQ, defended against a medium sized fierd marshal stack(1200) with 400 mid and high tier troops
It only has one way in through the siege tower so its pretty effective

Knudarr Castle,
I used to defend the courtyard in the old scene but now even with enfilade fire I don't think I could defend this once enough of the enemy get in the yard

Highcliff Castle,
Difficult to defend, easy to attack

Ansen Lodge,
The new scene adds another ladder, I always found it best to defend the courtyard and chokepoint the stairs and I think its the same

Rela Keep can be a tough nut to crack. It has plenty of good advantage points for archers (two towers and a flanking wall) and the walls can be held with a bunch of good melee troops as there is only one entry point (siege tower).

In a recent battle we (Sarleon) held with slightly less than 500 men against an army of 2000 Baccus. Lost a quarter of our men (less than 1/3 dead) and killed more than half of theirs (only because the siege ended).

yes, when we get enough info on truly good castles or cities, i will update posting with more info and screenshots , agreed , this certainly is a good idea.

So, currently positive "votes" were given for Gunders Lodge, Rela Keep, Kelredan castle
, and  Knudarr castle and Ansen Lodge need some more info .

btw, how effective is courtyard defending in those mentioned cases?  - is it like "bloodbath, but at least we repelled one assault, now it is time to get out of here" , or something you could repeat couple of times without losing all your army?

Does anyone remember the old Janos? Not the one right before, but the one even before that. You spawned right next to the ladder with just a tiny space for maneuvering and amidst a storm of Immortal spears and crossbow bolts courtesy of the EAC. Absolute hell on earth. Life expectancy of mere seconds.

This is very interesting for me, for future patches.

Siege scenes are from the same sources as Floris. But I tweaked/corrected the town ones (did not bother with castles too much)

If you could make a clear list of those who need a buff or a nerf, that would be very helpful. Or if you see bugs. Or just prefer the 3.7 one. Or if you see soldiers only using 1/3 ladder.

There's one I have that's particularly hellish, seven cross keep? There is a bug in it in that the "take a walk around the courtyard" scene still features smouldering ruins at the front gates, but what makes it hellish is that there is only one entrance to the keep and it is through a door that can fit 2 men at best. When you're attacking and the AI is defending, it's a slog but you eventually will make it to the walls and continue.

However, on the other hand, when you're defending and the AI is attacking? You can push it to a complete halt by bottlenecking that door with infantry, then have archers rip apart the mass of troops that are surging around that door, unable to get in. The defending archers are able to shoot at the assaulters through the debris that blocks their path, ensuring that all that infantry can't even blink in your archers' direction as they try to squeeze through a door that you've guarded with Knights. It definitely needs editing if at all possible, maybe changing it to a ladder based siege instead of relying on that tiny door, or something else. The castle is gorgeous though, and I enjoy being able to use a DIFFERENT strategy then "everyone is on the walls awkwardly"

Knudarr Castle picture of courtyard

http://imgur.com/a/y9cm4

Good luck holding that while outnumbered

Ethos

http://imgur.com/O8eofcr

Similar to old map but with another ladder, AI still sallies out without me sending any troops near the ladder
Took it without much hassle although Ansen got knocked out right at the start(the idiot)
It was my 330 army all top tier(100 rangers and 100 EAC) against 580(all killed), 30 deaths and around 60 wounded
I went through about 8-9 quivers, normal damage to player and allies

Snouz
what would be a reference point for these suggestions on nerfs/buffs? , for example , could 3.7 version and its siege balance serve this role?

I just ran some test battles on Marleon.

Old "3.7" Marleon was rather reliably defended by 100 RR, and 50 huscarls, +100 farmers for numbers, against 1200+ Sarleon army (fresh one, at the start of the game)  . (losing 50  huscarls, and 60-70  rangers ) 

Or it was easily defended with the same combo , against 850 Sarl. army (losing 30-40 rangers, and 30 huscarls ) 
Both victories - with unlimited reinforcements for attackers, without  player contribution, except for several orders for archers etc.

New Marleon  - had to crank up numbers to even have chance of victory for my troops.
So, after failing couple of times, and adjusting, i got situation like this :  1800 sarleons , but only 700-800 would show up, because of limited reinforcements and BS.
Garrison:
100 huscarls, 200 R.Rangers, 300 militia units for numbers, 10 tactics - got acceptable numbers  , something like 58 vs 74 , 64 vs 80 most of the time.  (150 BS)
At the end -  lost all 100 huscarls and 93 RR.
708 enemies killed.

such a big difference.
Which one has correct defensiveness ?

Imo, new scene is too punishing for defender    - he has to keep very strong garrison of elites, with crazy wages  -  especially for not so rich city, with plenty of bandits around  (has to have something appealing, if not money, then  defensiveness)

I personally liked concept of fiefs being hard to take, easier to defend. And kind of dislike when something walled is not giving strong defensive bonuses.

--
anyway, i am slowly moving through all the castles and cities ,  taking notes of what is working and what is not , and will prepare  list on all minor things i find (nothing too serious  found , except for sher quila, of which you are aware ..  mostly some minor ladder problems, ppl falling from walls, or ninja jumping over the heads of defenders :smile: Wait till weekend, and i will complete this list.
--

And thanks for attention to all these details and for desire to improve things even further !

The way I always looked at garrisons was they where there to buy me time to arrive to assist in the defense.
So I would have larger garrisons in more out of the way places and smaller garrisons in around the area I spend most of my time.
The AI typically goes after the weakest garrison so you could always have that in a more defensive castle/town.

Brew said:

Ethos

Similar to old map but with another ladder, AI still sallies out without me sending any troops near the ladder
Took it without much hassle although Ansen got knocked out right at the start(the idiot)
It was my 330 army all top tier(100 rangers and 100 EAC) against 580(all killed), 30 deaths and around 60 wounded

Surgery kicks in at the beginning of battle, so if he got knocked out doesn't matter.

Titanjones said:
Surgery kicks in at the beginning of battle, so if he got knocked out doesn't matter.

I didn't know that and have been playing M&B for 13 years, thx

Shieldstorm Keep

http://imgur.com/a/NhIV2

Only changes are 2 extra ladders, makes it a bit more difficult to hold but still should be possible with the right type and amount of troops

Maras castle - super easy to take, super hard to defence, as there is huge hole in a wall and hill bigger than a castle, so archers just shut everyone defending an entry point

Titanjones said:
Brew said:

Ethos

Are you sure about it? Battles where Ansen gets KO'd invariably lead to heavier losses than usual. And I do not think that this just means that the combat was unusually difficult anyway, so that my medic had to join the fray. It's that I notice that if Ansen gets KO'd, red messages start popping up with higher frequency.

Serazu said:
Titanjones said:
Brew said:

Ethos

Are you sure about it? Battles where Ansen gets KO'd invariably lead to heavier losses than usual. And I do not think that this just means that the combat was unusually difficult anyway, so that my medic had to join the fray. It's that I notice that if Ansen gets KO'd, red messages start popping up with higher frequency.
I have the same impression.

Brew said:

Was a piece of cake actually. When they come through the gate they turn right and leave the archers mostly alone.
That thing is more defensible then it looks.

it would help if we would mention what was the troop quality in particular case.
Defending something with middle-top tier commoner troops against hordes might be a sign of a very good siege scene, defending with 200 knights - would be sign of very strong knights usually :smile:

meanwhile, i have attacked Torbah with around 830 Sarleon faction troops (very typical Sarl. lordish army composition) .
Got impression of Torbah being rather vulnerable. Attackers will most likely use all three  ladders , without ignoring any of them, and flood walls very soon.

have to check whether it is defendable from courtyard .
Walls looked rather hopeless , unless you have something heavier than enemy, and good numbers. (which is not about good defensive scene then... )

btw. surgery indeed works even if you got KO-ed in that round. I think it is the same for companions.

Calendain Castle

http://imgur.com/a/1usfn

Has a new ladder but is still defendable, the garrison was 380 and it had the order of the phoneix so it was a tough assault

Walven Castle

http://imgur.com/a/R0CMF

The breech gap is still there and its tough to defend at that point but there is a stairs that could be used as a better chokepoint
The order of the shadow wolf had its chapter there and it was a hard slog as troops where all over the place including underwater
The garrison was 320 strong

Back
Top Bottom