Long-time player returning

Users who are viewing this thread

SpruceTrap

Banned
I'm a long-time player of vanilla Mount and Blade and I recently came back to the game. I've been playing the Floris Mod Pack with Polished Landscapes and it's gorgeous. I have been playing on that for the last few weeks and the added game play in it is a nice bonus as well.

Just some random observations I've made since I've been back:

1. I made my first pure melee character and boy do they level up fast. I already have strength maxed and am up to level 18 charisma. Had I attempted to level up charisma first it would have taken me three times as long to level up this far.

2. When fighting the khergits, it's helpful to loot and burn their villages and wait for their lords to come help. It forces them all to dismount so they can easily be crushed by a wall of huscarls or could be cut down like a knife through butter with a line of marksmen.

3. Knudarr castle is a ***** to take because even with Floris is only has one ladder and there's ample space for archers to set up inside the court and on the walls and make pincushions of the attackers. I found it helpful to bring a group of archers, have a line of huscarls stand in front of them and form a shield wall while the archers picked off the enemy from a distance. This castle only needs ladders so I was able to do it three times and then once I got the enemy force down to around 50 it was much easier. Previously, I had lost an entire 100+ man army of troops tier 3-5.

I'm having a lot of fun with 3 save files going at the same time right now. Just wanted to say hi, I'll be hanging around the forums for a little while.

Welcome back!

1. Agreed, melee best way to go.

2. No more Khergit archer running around noobs. :razz:

3. Rhodok sergeants or Swadian Sergeant preferably Swadian Sergeants both do the trick. Big shields and are good at melee Swadia the best in my opinion.

SpruceTrap said:
2. When fighting the khergits, it's helpful to loot and burn their villages and wait for their lords to come help. It forces them all to dismount so they can easily be crushed by a wall of huscarls or could be cut down like a knife through butter with a line of marksmen.
Haha yeah, that's my favorite anti-Khergit tactic too. :grin:

SpruceTrap said:
3. Knudarr castle is a ***** to take because even with Floris is only has one ladder and there's ample space for archers to set up inside the court and on the walls and make pincushions of the attackers. I found it helpful to bring a group of archers, have a line of huscarls stand in front of them and form a shield wall while the archers picked off the enemy from a distance. This castle only needs ladders so I was able to do it three times and then once I got the enemy force down to around 50 it was much easier. Previously, I had lost an entire 100+ man army of troops tier 3-5.

You do not have to climb the ladder. In fact, you can simply walk into Knudarr castle: there is a rather large open and ungarded (!) gateway to the left of the ladder, which leads straight to the courtyard. You can then proceed to shoot the silly defenders crowding the wall. However, if you do it alone then beware the spawning point which is close to the gateway (inside the courtyard).

As a side note: it is relatively easy to take most castles if you have good armor and are good at bows/xbos (especially bows). You simply have to leave one defending arhcer/crossbowman allive and "dance" in its line of sight when you need more ammo. If you keep the distance and are aware of the timing when new defenders arrive then you are rarely knocked out. It is quite easy to take castles with 250 defenders by 80 or so men even with normal damage to you and allies.  This is cheesy tactics of course :smile:

Well I think they're talking specifically about infantry. Dismounted Swadian knights are good, but their not the very best infantry (Huscarls + sergeants)

Saying that, forget that I ever said anything about sharpshooters, and huscarls are better overall.

Welcome back.
I have noticed rhod serg survives longer when attacking a castle then huska due to the scary nord troop trying to throw an axe then taking an arrow to the face.

Back
Top Bottom