SP - General LOGISTICS ,SUPPLY LINES and WARFARE (how to balance the "snowball" effect)

Users who are viewing this thread

below there is a link related to a thread I wrote on the subject

LINK TO THE THREAD,CLICK HERE--->LOGISTICS AND SUPPLY LINES and WARFARE(singleplayer)

The snowball effect derives from the fact that AI is very aggressive and that it has few limits from the point of view of the mobility of large armies.
Nothing prevents him from leaving one end of the world to attack a city on the other end, buying food along the way.
Some time ago I developed this thread that takes into account both logistics and support lines in relation to war, the economy and personal and factional relationships.
It also reuses assets already present in the game or present in old titles.
Some users have helped to add excellent suggestions, which I have implemented in the thread.

In general, this system places limits on any aggression.
It allows weaker factions to act against stronger factions without necessarily running the risk of not being able to do anything.
Or in the opposite case, that a strong faction attacks a weak one, that it has no means to defend itself.

You can consider the system in whole or only part of it in order to balance the game.
(I would take it in full..but clearly I'm biased in this discussion :smile:)

Last edited:
This right here (supply lines) is a problem we see in every strategy game ever made. It is a huge real world issue in war, but in games it's ignored completely. Absolutely +1

Maybe make it so a character's gold has to be banked in a city so when they are riding around on the map they will only carry around a fraction of their actual gold. That way their travel time is restricted by how much food they can buy with a limited amount of gold rather than having a practically unlimited supply when they are miles away from their own kingdom.

I think a simpler fix would be to limit the amount of gold any one army can spend while they are active, to limit their supplies. I think cohesion was added to prevent armies from permanently running around in the field, but food supplies should be a limiting factor as well. You can load up before the campaign to supply your fellow lords to sustain them for longer (and to farm influence) but limiting supplies would encourage more looting as well, creating more raiding and skirmishing wars as opposed to those overwhelming steamrolls we have now.

Maybe make it so a character's gold has to be banked in a city so when they are riding around on the map they will only carry around a fraction of their actual gold. That way their travel time is restricted by how much food they can buy with a limited amount of gold rather than having a practically unlimited supply when they are miles away from their own kingdom.
good suggestion but out of context.
I almost assume that if you have at least 1 castle or village or city there is a sort of "treasure chest" in which to put the money or the equip you want to save but you wan't bring with you.
or entrust the money to the quartermaster.

good suggestion but out of context.
I almost assume that if you have at least 1 castle or village or city there is a sort of "treasure chest" in which to put the money or the equip you want to save but you wan't bring with you.
or entrust the money to the quartermaster.
Maybe there could also be independent banks in cities where you could store gold that won't get pillaged by invaders but you have to pay a fee to use them?

Maybe there could also be independent banks in cities where you could store gold that won't get pillaged by invaders but you have to pay a fee to use them?
A banking system at a glance.
I normally am not against anything, but I would not know how to make the bank vault "inviolable", because realistically ... it would be violable.
Maybe a system that "moves money" in the event of a siege.
But it should be formulated quite well.
Even if you replied that I agree, you should propose a system that is realistic and balanced.
Think about it if you like it and as soon as you formulate it, write a thread in the suggestions section.

A banking system at a glance.
I normally am not against anything, but I would not know how to make the bank vault "inviolable", because realistically ... it would be violable.
Maybe a system that "moves money" in the event of a siege.
But it should be formulated quite well.
Even if you replied that I agree, you should propose a system that is realistic and balanced.
Think about it if you like it and as soon as you formulate it, write a thread in the suggestions section.
Just trying to think of ways to expand on the supply lines idea which I like. I was thinking running out of supplies wouldn't matter enough if too easy to get additional supplies in the field(buying or raiding)

Just trying to think of ways to expand on the supply lines idea which I like. I was thinking running out of supplies wouldn't matter enough if too easy to get additional supplies in the field(buying or raiding)
If the production of resources was not "continuous" but based on both the seasons and the type of product grown, then the production of food could be limited to certain periods and therefore the warehouses to be filled in those periods.
Once they are emptied, they cannot be restored until the new harvest and the village would clearly go hungry.
This would reduce the number of caravans that transport the goods produced from the villages to the cities but it would also reduce the periods in which the warehouses of the villages are full.
So they would not always be lootable, not because you could not loot them, but simply because in those periods there is nothing found.
Furthermore, the introduction of bounty hunters, adventurers and patrolling groups of the city to which the village is linked would make it less easy to get the goods.

Unfortunately, these systems must be tested and balanced from time to time until a given dynamic balance is found.
After that they must be perturbed to see if the equilibrium is restored after a while if it stops disturbing them.

In reality, it should be very hard to move around without thinking about your logistics first. If it was to be applied here, you would jump from one settlement to another until you reach your destination if you're consuming too much supplies due to huge armies and will still depend on luck whether your next settlement stop over has enough food or what. The game would be a lot more complex.

.. but I like it. +sign

In reality, it should be very hard to move around without thinking about your logistics first. If it was to be applied here, you would jump from one settlement to another until you reach your destination if you're consuming too much supplies due to huge armies and will still depend on luck whether your next settlement stop over has enough food or what. The game would be a lot more complex.

.. but I like it. +sign

The wagons form the support line.
After that, if necessary, for long distances, you can build camps.
But the need for camps or more attention to line defense is proportional to the size of the army.
So, given that you grow in terms of parties with a fairly contained speed, you will have time to get in the various stages and get used to it.

On the other hand, it also applies to the enemy.
And if you don't want to travel with an army that is too large and you don't want to do direct battles with those giants, you can order your lords to move en masse while you, with a smaller army that is less dependent on the lines, damage the enemy ones (or attacking the lines themselves, or damaging the economy linked to the lines).

The link, written in yellow on the thread, or the various links you find on my profile below, contain the one relating to logistics and support lines, as well as other mechanics.
Read them if you are interested.

I know it's a bit far fetched, but it will resolve agressive expansionists and castles deep inside enemy lines (that make no sense)
Creating a chain of supply between an owned castle/city to the army position. Creating multiple points inbetween them.
Those points would be vulnerable to raids.
Allowing cavalry on the garrison to have use in disrupting the supply line.

Without supply line the army will have to forage and enter raid mode (no need for the action to occur) of nearby villages diminishing relations with local NPCs and their lords.

Give quests to your companions assigning them cavalry to raid the supply lines.

I know it's a bit far fetched, but it will resolve agressive expansionists and castles deep inside enemy lines (that make no sense)
Creating a chain of supply between an owned castle/city to the army position. Creating multiple points inbetween them.
Those points would be vulnerable to raids.
Allowing cavalry on the garrison to have use in disrupting the supply line.

Without supply line the army will have to forage and enter raid mode (no need for the action to occur) of nearby villages diminishing relations with local NPCs and their lords.

Give quests to your companions assigning them cavalry to raid the supply lines.

did you read the thread i posted?
by clicking on the yellow link, I mean.
Everything is written there, even what you mentioned.
I invite you to click to find out :smile:

Back
Top Bottom