Limit on how many mercenaries a kingdom can have.

Users who are viewing this thread

seriously, I am at war with the Northern Empire and I was winning, and even convinced most of their clans to join my side. but then they started fielding large armies with decent tier troops and started taking back their settlements. I was wondering why they were able to push me back even after I weakened them, so I took a look on the Encyclopedia...and they have SEVEN mercenaries!?! they only have 3 clans in their kingdom, so they have more then double the amount of mercenaries than clans! there needs to be some kind of limit on how many mercenaries a kingdom can have. make it a Policy, I don't care! but no kingdom- especially one with next to no fiefs or clans should be fielding a 1000+ army made up of mostly mercenaries!

Sorry but it looks really nice in my eyes to see how kingdoms are able to resist and put effort trying to do not get destroyed.

I agree with Dabos. Think of it as their last desperate gamble that paid off. Its stuff like this movies will be made about, you just don't like it because in this movie you're the bad guy ;p

It's something they mean to fix. I think they don't want a faction to have more the X mercs and also there has been problem allowing them to have more mercs then they can afford. I thought they fixed it, but it may be one of those things that has a fix made, but not implemented yet. There's also the problem of minor faction becoming mercs for the factions they're supposed to be at perma-war with.

Some of these problems got fix, then un-fixed at some point.

It's something they mean to fix. I think they don't want a faction to have more the X mercs and also there has been problem allowing them to have more mercs then they can afford. I thought they fixed it, but it may be one of those things that has a fix made, but not implemented yet. There's also the problem of minor faction becoming mercs for the factions they're supposed to be at perma-war with.

Some of these problems got fix, then un-fixed at some point.

If the AI is able to pay these mercenaries, it is ok to see a kingdom paying for 7 minor clans. On the other hand, I am not sure if it is the case currently. I think the bug you are mentioning has been fixed but who knows.

My only problem with this is that there are too few minor factions so if one hires them all the rest of the factions are left without mercs for a time where they might need them.

Otherwise i really like that this can happen, i can imagine them scraping every single denar they can get in a last desperate attempt to hire mercenaries and save their kingdom.

Maybe TW could make minor factions stronger (with more men) so one or two would be a more significant asset to the kingdom hiring them and they wouldn't need to hire them all or adding more minor factions either handcrafted or randomly generated like companions, leave the original ones with their lore and add a system to randomly create free companies or something like that, think it would be cool.

Something like "free company of Pravend" so a Vlandian based merc minor faction with Vlandian troops, "free company of Danustica" an Imperial based one and so on.

My only problem with this is that there are too few minor factions so if one hires them all the rest of the factions are left without mercs for a time where they might need them.

Otherwise i really like that this can happen, i can imagine them scraping every single denar they can get in a last desperate attempt to hire mercenaries and save their kingdom.

Maybe TW could make minor factions stronger (with more men) so one or two would be a more significant asset to the kingdom hiring them and they wouldn't need to hire them all or adding more minor factions either handcrafted or randomly generated like companions, leave the original ones with their lore and add a system to randomly create free companies or something like that, think it would be cool.

Something like "free company of Pravend" so a Vlandian based merc minor faction with Vlandian troops, "free company of Danustica" an Imperial based one and so on.
+1

There is clearly a recruitment bias toward factions that are down on their luck, which I dont have a problem with.

Also they have no ****ING money when they have no fiefs so having a buncha mercs is a oversight or bug, one way or the other. Either there's some glitch letting them get paid anyways , or they won't leave when they don't get paid, or more wealthy factions are not offering them more. They're mercs, they should go to whoever can pay the most.

Also they have no ****ING money when they have no fiefs so having a buncha mercs is a oversight or bug, one way or the other. Either there's some glitch letting them get paid anyways , or they won't leave when they don't get paid, or more wealthy factions are not offering them more. They're mercs, they should go to whoever can pay the most.

But Talesworld in their infinite wisdom has decided that minor factions are there to restore the balance.

That's why weaker factions get all the mercs.

It's just alot of poor decision making regarding steam rolling. Instead of fixing the root of the problem, i.e. Kuzait SPEED, they implement things like:

a. prisoners are all houdinis
b. wounded lords recover immediately
c. AI lords start with elite troops
d. AI lords don't need money

I'm sure there's alot more.

Yes, Kingdoms should have a mercenary clan limit, vassal clan limit and Kingdom tiers.
They have clans with tiers, but Kingdoms have no tiers. Kingdoms should get tiers.

But Talesworld in their infinite wisdom has decided that minor factions are there to restore the balance.

That's why weaker factions get all the mercs.

It's just alot of poor decision making regarding steam rolling. Instead of fixing the root of the problem, i.e. Kuzait SPEED, they implement things like:

a. prisoners are all houdinis
b. wounded lords recover immediately
c. AI lords start with elite troops
d. AI lords don't need money

I'm sure there's alot more.
People have also suggested that armies should break up and retreat more often.

they switch sides the moment you ask them to. key is to find their leader and keep him in your army, the moment they defect they are right there for you to ask back again.

I dont mind to some degree that the "last ditch" to save ourselves by hireing the mercs, but the mercs should want to have gold as payment, and well how much income can kingdomes with no fiefs or few really generate to keep theese on retainer forever..
This part needs tweaking imo.

seriously, I am at war with the Northern Empire and I was winning, and even convinced most of their clans to join my side. but then they started fielding large armies with decent tier troops and started taking back their settlements. I was wondering why they were able to push me back even after I weakened them, so I took a look on the Encyclopedia...and they have SEVEN mercenaries!?! they only have 3 clans in their kingdom, so they have more then double the amount of mercenaries than clans! there needs to be some kind of limit on how many mercenaries a kingdom can have. make it a Policy, I don't care! but no kingdom- especially one with next to no fiefs or clans should be fielding a 1000+ army made up of mostly mercenaries!
I am also annoyed when the kingdom does not have a single city and castle, but at the same time takes SEVEN mercenaries and creates problems with an army of 1200+
this kingdom has no economy, so where does the money for the mercenaries come from?
I really hope that the developers will make a limit - a maximum of three mercenaries!

Back
Top Bottom