Levelling troops and higher tier recruits

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you playing khuzaits? Because as far as i know horse archers are kinda cheaty, i've seen some reformist video in which he can dispatch 600+ men army with a 80 horse archers party, taking only 8 losses
My army composition is about:
500 sturgian mixed infantry, archers, cavalry;
50 battanian fians;
70 vlandian, battanian, imperial cavalry, mostly battanian, got from prisoners.
0 bandits, 0 khuzaits

Infantry a few paces on front of the archers.
Wrong! Never ever place heavy infantry before ranged units until it needed! This is your major issue.

Archers first! Remember it! They must have a line of sight to shoot! And they must hold ground to the death (f1-f6) f1-f4 almost never useful tactics. Infantry behind archers until...

Wait... Wait... Wait... Until enemy will be in close range to your archers, when charge your infantry and flank enemy with your cavalry in the same time. At this moment the enemy infantry is fleeing usually, and can't resist, and you need to order your infantry to RETURN behind archers. It is not an infantry business to cut fleeing, let archers and cavalry to finish them.

If enemy is not advancing to you just rain them with arrows, and they will advance because they have no choice

Last edited:
Wrong! Never ever place heavy infantry before ranged units until it needed! This is your major issue.

Archers first! Remember it! They must have a line of sight to shoot! And they must hold ground to the death (f6) f1-f4 almost never useful tactics. Infantry behind archers until...

Wait... Wait... Wait... Until enemy will be in close range to your archers, when charge your infantry and flank enemy with your cavalry in the same time. At this moment the enemy infantry is fleeing usually, and can't resist, and you need to order your infantry to RETURN behind archers. It is not an infantry business to cut fleeing, let archers and cavalry to finish them.

Depending on map. If You have any higher ground You can put archers there with inf in front in shieldwall. When enemy is close lead Your cav to keep them occupied but no charges into the middle of them just run around cutting off on the edges. Keep away from Your archers way and they will take down most inf while they try to defend from cav. If any of them decides to go further to Your inf they will hit the shieldwall.
If enemy have a lot of cav then archers in front work better but if enemy don't have too much cav archers behind on a hiill while You distract the enmy works fine.
And You don't need to have a lot of cav. 10 to 15 is enough to keep enemy occupied by it. The problem is that You need to lead them so they don't stupidly charge in the middle of enemy inf.

Edit:

One thing against horse archers based armies i learned. Put Your archers in circle formation. Infantry in shieldwall on one side further back and cavalry on the other also further back. Horse archers don't charge into You archers until they are forced to and with inf and cav on both sides they will stop and turn back giving Your archers good way to kill a lot of them. They also have bad aim while they move so in most cases they won't take down a single unit.

Archers first! Remember it! They must have a line of sight
We were on a hill. Archers had full line of sight.

What do you do in a battle?

Stay with your main force or venture out to engage enemies?

We were on a hill. Archers had full line of sight.

What do you do in a battle?

Stay with your main force or venture out to engage enemies?
I'm waiting and giving orders usually and watching on battlefield, keeping cavalry in reserve. Even on hill, infantry is better to place behind. Your damage dealers are archers. Infantry is only support to backup them if they needs. Shieldwall or square is rarely needed.
But I didn't fought Khuzaits yet. May be some difference

Back
Top Bottom