Level up: Mathematically is better to focus in one skill or more?

Users who are viewing this thread

I have a very short question

To level up to the maximun few skills or to level up to a moderate level all skills?
Depends on what you want out from your character dont you think ? Wanna be an master in one thing you max it as much as you can 10/5 in skills. But on regular basis if you have ex two skills you usually use (lets say youre an horsearcher main point in endurance then secondaries on other stuff or archery and horse first if its the main thing you wanna do and become an expert in) Put main level point to cover those then use secondaries on the other stuff you want now and then depending on how strong you want them

Last edited:
It's better to focus going deeper into a few skills in terms of overall level at the moment. Previously it was better to spread it around but now it's definitely better to stacks skill points AND stats into a few skills since the amount of skill experience you learn at the higher levels will allow you to get to a much higher level over time.

You can get a ton of levels out of maxing stewardship, leadership, and charm and you can use those levels to put enough points into a single weapon proficiency to then get some levels out of that. Once you get your pts invested into your core skill you will have some extra levels to spend on other skills that you would want but you are much better off focusing on a few skills at first.

This also makes companions that start with a skill high and MAXED (red) a poor investment. Choose companions that have room to grow into their specialty (blacksmith, scout, medicine, engineer) since they will end up with more flexibility in the long run.

Here is ex one character im making atm and is early on. Since this one is a fencer expert with one handed but also an vagabond hens roguery...Ive put my heavy skills on one handed and try to balance up with athletics when i can. But since this one is an complex build im gonna put my main up to 10 straight away then go for endurance since im also going very light in armor so hes allready pretty speedy for those footwork you need with little armor and defence. Secondaries ill go for trade a little bit. Would love to go for social to but theres nothing there for this character and as im going solo with 3 companions i think ill go for scout and my companions medic and smith since i want a cool sword :wink:

Ik you where asking for best mathematical cheese but its a tip anyways. Concentrating on other stuff you wont use (same goes as before in past other patches) is just waste of time acc to me

Last edited:
In my opinion, a good way to save focus points is to gate Riding and/or Athletics to 100~125 levels, unless you really want those high level perks. The reason for me is that I get all the speed increase I want from those two skills around the 100 level, after that it just gets silly how fast I can run or ride a horse.

This means I can leave my Endurance at 2, invest 3 focus points into either Riding or Athletics and focus the rest of my FP and Attributes somewhere else.

I also highly recommend every character to have Medicine at 25 so you can pick the +10 health perk.

In my opinion, a good way to save focus points is to gate Riding and/or Athletics to 100~125 levels, unless you really want those high level perks. The reason for me is that I get all the speed increase I want from those two skills around the 100 level, after that it just gets silly how fast I can run or ride a horse.

This means I can leave my Endurance at 2, invest 3 focus points into either Riding or Athletics and focus the rest of my FP and Attributes somewhere else.

I also highly recommend every character to have Medicine at 25 so you can pick the +10 health perk.
Unless you really want the higher perks for riding there is no need to get above 90, which is the requirement for best horses in the game. But if you look at athletics perks there are 2 other attribute points and a skill point that can be gained by going down the athletics chain. So imho athletics is worth getting up to at least 200 in addition even if you ride there are times that having a very high athletics skill is nice to have especially if your horse goes down in battle and you're near the enemy.

Not when youre in close range in an castle, tight space against two guys and 1 % in life and no shield xD thought i was a dead man for sure
Control the situation. There won't be 2 guys there if I shot em to death already.

Mighty Blow perk at Athletics 275 is very sweet. +1 Health for every point over 250. So potentially +80hp if you max it out
I agree but I've never gotten it that high have you? I get to 170 or so and I'm out of enemy factions.

Control the situation. There won't be 2 guys there if I shot em to death already.

I agree but I've never gotten it that high have you? I get to 170 or so and I'm out of enemy factions.
To bad we could´nt hit that in mp campaign then :/

I have a very short question

To level up to the maximun few skills or to level up to a moderate level all skills?
The main things to consider are that:
1: levels themselves, FP and attributes, don't actually help you in anyway. So simply leveling up and filling in FP and ATR doesn't improve you at all.

2: every time you level up the global learning rate for all skills drops slightly.

3: You still gain full "raw skill exp" towards leveling up, even if you gain little or zero "Skill raising exp" when you do an action.

4: Some skills level much faster and easier then others.

All this together makes the player in kind of a pickle because only skills going up and perks will improve them, but any combat action will continue to raise there level (slowing all skill growth) regardless of how/if they spend their FP and ATR on those combat skills. So it good to look at it as what kind of character are you playing? If you're going to me shoot-a-maning all the time, you might as well get the benefit of the higher skills and perks or say bow, riding, athletics since you'll be leveling fast. However if you're a back seat commander, you might want to raise soc and cunning skills too as you will level more slowly and have a easier time building these slower skills.

In general I describe speeds as
smithing, make the great swors, make the Javs... turn around you leveled 20 times and are a billionaire
Ultra fast: Riding, Bow (more shoot on horse more go up fast n easy)
Fast : Stewart (daily tick with food variety)
Decent/Average: Melee skills, Athletics, Scouting, charm,
Special: Leadership* If you are a vassal/ruler and can lead armies constantly it is a decent/fast rate like Stewart, other wise it is VERY SLOW*
Slow/Awkward: Trade, Roguery, Medicine, YMMV but I find these too slow to raise very high on MC.
Does it work yet?: Engineer, it's so slow to raise I feel they goofed this one

I don't have an opinion on Xbow or throwing

Back
Top Bottom