Would you like an option for unlimited/large amounts of corpses to be displayed on the battlefield?

• Yes

Votes: 107 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 26 19.5%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The option for corpse limit is not in the options but its present in the game

C:\Users\Younes\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs

Bannerlordconfig.txt has the parameter set to 3 by default. 5 is max while its not unlimited its still something i guess
see it's literally a text file lol. This should be a trivial change for the devs to make. I see no reason to take this option away from people with higher end PCs.

3 and 5 are the numbers of the option. They are not the amount of bodies 3 and 5, they are option 3 and 5 aka optipn 3 might be 10 bodies and 5 can be 200.

Also using a text file is completly fine..

I was watching a video on YouTube the other day, and I found the disappearing bodies to be really jarring.

I'm sure some people will recognize me as someone who commonly makes a big deal of this but to me it's important for immersive game play. This game is planning to have battles including 1000 men so I believe that 1000 corpses should be the max AT LEAST. When several men clash in an area and the only show of it is a huge splotch of blood, some stray weapons, and maybe a couple corpses, it's kind of an immersion killer. I'm not sure if the devs care about this particular issue or not but I feel this is quite an important part of immersion. Battlefields tell a story and corpses, stray weapons, and battlefield scars are all a part of that. I see no reason to take this feature away for people who have higher end computers. Maybe just a warning stating that performance can be hit? I'd appreciate if I could get communication on this but I understand taleworlds probably have their hands tied right now. What are everyone else's thoughts?

I might be wrong here, but every corpse has the same amount of polys as a moving charakter.
So if you're having a 500 vs 500 battle, with 500 corpses,
That means that you have 1500 characters in the battlefield. Sure 500 of them are not moving, so they might not need as much calculation power, but I don't think you should neglect the toll corpses take on the performance.

I am no professional on that topic, but such high numbers of corpses do not sound realistic to me.

if you have a battle of 500 vs 500 I don't think there could be more bodies than 1000, alive or dead ...

and sure, why not.
and dismemberment someday, the people want it :grin:

Dudese is right. There are some methods to remidy this like making the corpses static figures instead of ragdolls, but IDK if we want that for the game in total. I expect explosions from the mods at some point and I want things flying or I don't want them at all :razz:

I don't think taleworlds isn't aware of this request or how much people want it. Its just taleworlds being taleworlds they don't inform us about it. So this is useless.

Dudese is right. There are some methods to remidy this like making the corpses static figures instead of ragdolls, but IDK if we want that for the game in total. I expect explosions from the mods at some point and I want things flying or I don't want them at all :razz:

Slider option would solve this

if you have a battle of 500 vs 500 I don't think there could be more bodies than 1000, alive or dead ...

and sure, why not.
and dismemberment someday, the people want it :grin:
Well yeah I was considering reeinforcement. If the battles are really 500 vs 500 it might work. But considering level of detail and considering that you can stand in Top of corpses, we might end up with a situation, were there is double or even triple or even more polys in an area, where usually would be the normal amount of polys without corpses.

I really want this option too, which is why I have posted my thread about it in my signature. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who want this feature. A word from the developers about it would be neat. :smile:

Shouldn't be hard to do by editing the game's files anyway, I definitely want this but realistically they won't dedicate time to it until many other features are dealt with.

That quantity of figures on the field (both dead and alive) is an ideal situation which may only be possible by taking away something else that's considered more important. Example 1: Taleworlds allows 1000 corpses on the battlefield, but as a result you can only have a maximum of 100 live troops on the field. Example 2: 1000 corpses are possible if you reduce terrain to the absolute minimum, so you end up with cartoon trees and simplistic castles and town scenes. Example 3: after around 500 corpses, the game drops to a slideshow, and you get severe stutter, making combat increasingly difficult for the player, but it will allow up to 1000 corpses....you just can't fight it yourself because of the appalling frame rate.

Everything is a tradeoff, and dedicating computing resources to one thing means taking them away from something else. It would be nice to have, but I'm not willing to give up a lot of other stuff for it. To me, having 100 corpses on the map is sufficient to show "carnage", without having heaps of bodies 10 feet high at the top of a ladder blocking movement. I do think the game should prioritize retaining corpses in the vicinity of the player, and only remove them as necessary to maintain graphics settings at the minimum specified frame rate. Having corpses suddenly slide across the field and into the ground while you watch is immersion-shattering. I'm willing to allow the developers some leeway on things before I complain, because you simply can't have everything with limited computing (and programming) resources.

That quantity of figures on the field (both dead and alive) is an ideal situation which may only be possible by taking away something else that's considered more important. Example 1: Taleworlds allows 1000 corpses on the battlefield, but as a result you can only have a maximum of 100 live troops on the field. Example 2: 1000 corpses are possible if you reduce terrain to the absolute minimum, so you end up with cartoon trees and simplistic castles and town scenes. Example 3: after around 500 corpses, the game drops to a slideshow, and you get severe stutter, making combat increasingly difficult for the player, but it will allow up to 1000 corpses....you just can't fight it yourself because of the appalling frame rate.

Everything is a tradeoff, and dedicating computing resources to one thing means taking them away from something else. It would be nice to have, but I'm not willing to give up a lot of other stuff for it. To me, having 100 corpses on the map is sufficient to show "carnage", without having heaps of bodies 10 feet high at the top of a ladder blocking movement. I do think the game should prioritize retaining corpses in the vicinity of the player, and only remove them as necessary to maintain graphics settings at the minimum specified frame rate. Having corpses suddenly slide across the field and into the ground while you watch is immersion-shattering. I'm willing to allow the developers some leeway on things before I complain, because you simply can't have everything with limited computing (and programming) resources.
This option would mainly be for those with powerful machines anyway. Besides, Total War can do it without a problem.

At the very least, those who are rendered alive, can be rendered dead.

You seem to talk as though you are a dev, so I will too. Perhaps there is a way to lower the quality and performance hit on dead corpses. And if there is a heap of them in one area, just reduce the quality of that heap. You can also cross through corpses already.

I think large numbers of corpses are possible without too much difficulty.

Well yeah I was considering reeinforcement. If the battles are really 500 vs 500 it might work. But considering level of detail and considering that you can stand in Top of corpses, we might end up with a situation, were there is double or even triple or even more polys in an area, where usually would be the normal amount of polys without corpses.
im about 99% sure you can't stand on the corpses. Dead characters after they finish ragdolling are rendered as static figures which take up no where near as much power to process

not necessarily, thats why its an editable setting. Also, the bodies become static figures that not longer have physics. If a character dies on top of a body they simply go through it, dead static figures are no longer solid bodies with clip detection so it shouldn't be too demanding.

In battle game can render thousands of moving soldier, but it can't render when they die? Rendering polygons require gpu, while bannerlord is a cpu heavy game.

I don't think finding way to optimize it is impossible.

You can also cross through corpses already.
So, how does the game render a view when you're inside a pile of corpses without physics. Not saying it's impossible, but there are implications to consider. It's apparently not quite as simple as just bumping up a number, otherwise the developers wouldn't have seen a need to create code to remove excess corpses from the battlefield.

Back
Top Bottom