Lets talk smithing.

Users who are viewing this thread

staleturd

Recruit
Lets talk about ways smithing could be improved. The grind is way too long right now. Here's what I think.

- Increase stamina
- Increase skill gain
- Refine materials should cost no stamina, smelt cost 1/2 stamina, forge full stamina.
- It could be made so any time that passes counts for stamina regen, and not just resting in town.
- Tie the tiers to skill level (ex: Tier 1 unlocked, T2 unlocks at 50, T3 at 100 and so on.)
~ Add smith-able armor?
~ Using custom weapons in battle increases smithing skill?

How does everyone else feel about smithing, what are your ideas?

I use a mod that disables stamina entirely, and it is still an absolute slog. Also, the idea that you figure out completely random and unrelated weapon parts as you work is idiotic. I do not need a goddamn dagger handle, when I'm working on making pikes. Not to mention the fact that I dont intend to smith daggers. Ever.

I believe TW has said that smithing is nowhere near completely implemented or finished, so hopefully they'll do some of the things you've listed.

I really like the smithing, and I've spent an insane amount of time doing it on one of my saves, but it is kind of a slog right now. At the very least, it would be nice if your smithing stamina increased with your endurance or your smithing skill.

Chance to unlock a new part is 4%. I used cheats and still took half a day to reach 250 skill and over half the items were still missing. It’s a chore that is unrewarding to the max

Right, I might repost this later.

Currently, it is mind boggling that there is a stamina cap, but no stamina bar we can see. The amount of clicks it takes to do anything in the smithy can be cut in half if the devs included a "rest" button in the smith menu, and turn the material icons in to clickable buttons to buy those materials from the market. If this were fixed, it would cut the amount of clicking down by half, and save us all some repetitive stress injuries. In summary:

• The smithing system as it stands is asking for players to get RSI due to clicking between different screens.
  • This can be fixed by turning material icons in the smithy menu in to buying buttons for those materials, eliminating two clicks from each cycle of the process.
  • Adding a stamina bar or a time indicator to the smithy screen will eliminate frustration.
  • A rest button in the smithing menu will eliminate two clicks from the smithing process.

Make smiths in towns take your order for a weapon but have most of them only know regional weapon parts. Make it possible to get taught by them for money or doing some apprentice quests.

I also think that you should be able to directly buy ingredients like charcoal, maybe all the way up to steel, and do quests or more complicated trades for fine steel and the fancier steel. That would be a fun interaction with ironmonger merchants or Smith artisans!

It's a gimmick and not fun and I can't wrap my head around why it's in the game, to be brutally honest.

Because hand-crafted weapons can easily out-class static weapons found in the world (at least, that's been my experience with the early- to mid-game weapons). You might not like smithing, but I certainly wouldn't call it a gimmick.

Back
Top Bottom